General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Porkie, Nick D & All Other Watch lovers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dear god you all have far too much money!! i will stick to dialing 123456 on someone elses phone :-(
Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoflock Motorsport
dear god you all have far too much money!! i will stick to dialing 123456 on someone elses phone :-(
Or just 123

Do these kind of watches tend to hold their value?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
I must be looking at totaly different Breitling watches to the ones for sale near you are you sure you arnt looking at ones on market stalls for Ł30
Agreed there are some nice breitling models but they tend to be known in the trade as being a bit 'in your face' and not as well made as a Rolex but obviously plenty of people want that look, where as the Rolex's tend to have more of a classic look.
A friend of mine who works in a jewellers and is really into his watches says exactly the same thing about breitling's being a bit tacky/blinged up......have a look at the resale value of breitling's and then compare the Rolex resale prices
Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM
caprizetec170
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I got chinese rolex for 5euro F$%k 5k thats 3% of me morgage
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Thanks for link Stu. Re new submariner mentioned, I HATE the new shoulders on it!!!

Also over priced IMO.

Daytona's are stunning.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
I want a white face daytona, but cant lob Ł7k on one atm.

I did get linked to a replica that looks so genuine, including the fake paperwork that comes with it, that a guy managed to take his broken Ł300 replica to a genuine rolex dealer and have it fixed so thinking of doing that.

FPMSL!!!! The fact that NO rolex dealer fixes the watches in-house renders this story as plausible as Dojj's bentley!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

^^ Spot on. They can change batteries in house at a push but Rolex/Breitling in Australia all have to be sent back to Sydney which is my current battle with Breitling Australia.

I tried to pick up a Daytona in San Francisco this year but apparently the single colour straps are nigh on impossible to come by and current clients get first refusal on stock. They had the yellow/white combo but not a fan of it. Tried it on and looks the part, was $14K USD.

Currently have a Breitling which I bought in Singapore but would never buy a watch in Australia as pricing on imported goods here is through the roof. Good thing is it comes with a global warranty. Is a superb watch except for the $90 battery change it just had!

Last edited by saff_cossie; 07-11-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 AM
twoblacklines

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick D
FPMSL!!!! The fact that NO rolex dealer fixes the watches in-house renders this story as plausible as Dojj's bentley!!!
This is not what I have been told by some replica owners.

As for me im really considering this, its made from tungsten so only a diamond can scratch it apparently.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

breitling watches do it for me
i fell in love with the chronomat gt years ago, got a really old 70's gold oris one that my dad got given from his work. But tbh i like my tag's too much.

Last edited by mrjenrst; 09-11-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
But tbh i like my tag's too much.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

must be just me but i think rolex look cheap tacky watches

breitling watches do it for me
I have 2 Breitlings. I like them. People that are really into watches think they are a bit of a joke though.

For example I bet Nick nor his dad would ever consider one.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
Do these kind of watches tend to hold their value?

You won't ever really loose much on a steel Rolex.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm fancying a Iwc portuguese chrono with white face, nice looking watch and classy unlike a lot of other that are typical bling bling footballer and pimp atches
http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...CAgQ8gIwADgA#p
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Slevin Kelevra

Chop,

Best bet is to browse a a few of the forums mate www.rolexforums.com is a good site and very informative.

Also pop into one of the Dealers and try as many models as you can on. Thats a must mate! Mappin and Webb in Ggow or Watches of Switzerland in Argyle arcade. Or I'm assuming ABZ must have a few dcent shops.

The Deepsea isn't really seen as an upgraded Sub. Its a totally different watch to be honest mate. Very Very big compared to the rest of the Rolex range and its also very thick(oo er!) It doesnt suit some folks but its a personal choice and its your hard earned dough too!

The Daytona is an absolute classic and its an awesome watch, there are lots of video reviews etc so have a look at as many as possible. Its maybe seen as a bit more of a dress watch that a sub or DS or even a GMT IIc.

Personally I could see you with a Deepsea or even a new Submariner which has the "supercase" and ceramic bezel.

The GMT IIc is also a very nice watch but wears differen to the sub and DS because the case back isn't as thick.

I have an older style Sub and love it. People who slate Rolex either have no clue about watches or are just jealous.

Breitling and Omega also make some nice stuff too IMO but I've never really gotten Tags.

One final thing and this will suit you I reckon is you can change watches as often as you change your car IF you buy the right one in the first place. YOu will very rarely loose more than say Ł500 on a Rolex If its still in as new condition.

Hope this helps mate
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Porkie
I have 2 Breitlings. I like them. People that are really into watches think they are a bit of a joke though.

This guy DEFFO has a Breitling or two!

Do you still have your Hublot!? SELL IT TO ME PLEASE

Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Nick D

I have one, 10 year old aerospace with titanium bracelet, smashed to pieces tho lol!!!

Correct that Mr S D doesn't have one lol!

See you soon mate, champers will be my round, hopefully they don't run out of beer for you're round lol
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Not into watches particuarly but I enjoyed reading about the mechanism on that review Stu, sounds more like a turbo with its "ceramic bearings" than a watch though

I think there is a lot of hype and daft overvaluing of old rolexs, a bit like old ferraris, but they are undoubtably (also like ferraris) a good product in the first place.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick D
renders this story as plausible as Dojj's bentley!!!
Belter

You won't ever really loose much on a steel Rolex.
Seems that way so i'm happy to buy one. Although i'm buying it because i want it and not to be able to sell it for a similar price. This will eb kept and passed on to my sons. I have 3 so any excuse to buy a new watch

Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra
Chop,

Best bet is to browse a a few of the forums mate www.rolexforums.com is a good site and very informative.

Also pop into one of the Dealers and try as many models as you can on. Thats a must mate! Mappin and Webb in Ggow or Watches of Switzerland in Argyle arcade. Or I'm assuming ABZ must have a few dcent shops.

The Deepsea isn't really seen as an upgraded Sub. Its a totally different watch to be honest mate. Very Very big compared to the rest of the Rolex range and its also very thick(oo er!) It doesnt suit some folks but its a personal choice and its your hard earned dough too!

The Daytona is an absolute classic and its an awesome watch, there are lots of video reviews etc so have a look at as many as possible. Its maybe seen as a bit more of a dress watch that a sub or DS or even a GMT IIc.

Personally I could see you with a Deepsea or even a new Submariner which has the "supercase" and ceramic bezel.

The GMT IIc is also a very nice watch but wears differen to the sub and DS because the case back isn't as thick.

I have an older style Sub and love it. People who slate Rolex either have no clue about watches or are just jealous.

Breitling and Omega also make some nice stuff too IMO but I've never really gotten Tags.

One final thing and this will suit you I reckon is you can change watches as often as you change your car IF you buy the right one in the first place. YOu will very rarely loose more than say Ł500 on a Rolex If its still in as new condition.

Hope this helps mate
Hi Dave

Cheers some good info there

Abz only has one dealer now But i'll go and hyave a "try on" session for sure.

Daytona is ruled out unfortunately. I want to buy my 1st one new and not 2nd hand so i'll wait for my daytona

New sub is nice but fuck paying over list And i want to be different as load of people have a sub, no offence like they are great but you know what i mean!

Thats why i considered the GMT11 but tbh i prefer the deepsea.

The whole Sea Dweller or Deep Sea thing is confusing so i need to have a read! Some people saying the SD will be worth more in the future where others say the DS SD or SDDS or whatever they call it will bge better as less made. As said though it's not an investment for me! I want the newest and/or best watch

I reckon i'll hold off for the DS and avoid the GMT. Buy right, buy once!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Slevin Kelevra

Chop, The Sea dweller is cool as f**k IMO and is probably the watch I'd have on my wrist right now if I had know more about watches when I got my Sub.

The Sea Dweller (SD) was replaced by the Sea Dweller Deep Sea (SDDS) as you know. With anything Rolex, if its no longer available then it will inevitably rise in value. The SD was last made on a V serial number wich is in effect 2009. You can still get them in dealers but you would have to look hard. The SD pretty much looks a lot like a sub but its thicker so sits differently on your wrist and can go down deeper where as the SDDS is much larger and in your face. They are both awesome.

The "new" Submariner is not as "in demand" and people thought it would be as it still divides opinion. There are 3 sitting ADs in glasgow right now and bang on list. You will struggle to get any discount but its worth a shot. Personally I didnt get any money off but they did throw in a spa weekend at Gleneagles into the deal, which was nice!

It pretty much sounds like your mind is made up though, the SDDS is a belter!

Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 09-11-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 21-11-2010, 04:48 PM
twoblacklines

Anyone got a Longines ?
Old 21-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I dread to think how much I've dropped on watches over the years....I don't want to know. I agree with Porkie - get a decent Rolex and you can't go wrong. I love my Daytona, but it isn't my favourite.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
I dread to think how much I've dropped on watches over the years....I don't want to know. I agree with Porkie - get a decent Rolex and you can't go wrong. I love my Daytona, but it isn't my favourite.

Any pics to make me drool? What face is it? What is your favourite then?

I looked on the rolex forums yesterday and researched the DSSD. FUCK ME it's a weapon of a watch! It's huge! I'm deffo saving for that over the GMT-II! Although I do like it as well.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

If you want a really chunky Rolex and want something different, get a Sea Dweller

You have PM

Last edited by Mr S1; 22-11-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:48 PM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

Agree with mr s1, like my daytona but love my sea-dweller. Bought a new gmt II ceramic and wish i got an older gmt2 now instead.....prefer the older watches due to smaller cases and less bling. Anyone got an original gmt2 they want to sell.....pm me please.