General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I'm Viewing an ST24 1998 tomorrow, any advise what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 28-07-2010, 05:26 PM
2wdRyan
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Viewing an ST24 1998 tomorrow, any advise what to look out for?

Hi - hopefully some nice people out there can give me some pointers

I'm going to see a 1998 ST24 hatchback with 94k on the clock tomorrow, as never owning a Mondeo or giving one a good going over, is there anything I should be looking out for?

I know the rear arches are a bit suspect on these cars and I will most likely have to have these done if they haven't been done already, but other than that I'm going in blind

Plz Help......................Cheers Ry
Old 28-07-2010, 06:28 PM
2wdRyan

Anybody?
Old 28-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check for ticking coming from the engine, points to either exhaust manifold gasket or head gasket, the ticking is a tell tale sign of either, and if its from the rear bank, the exhaust, and head gaskets, are not easy to change, nothing down the back of the engine is. they eat bottom arms, so check for that. rust, sills, arches, chassis legs. make sure at 3k revs + the car gets a big jump in power, and by that, i mean a noticable amount, if not, the IMRC is knackered. check for missfires, they like to eat coil packs
Old 28-07-2010, 06:34 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tbh look for one after 1999, my mates 98 was rotten everywhere and only covered 60k, later ones used galvanised boddies, hence mine hasnt rusted lol

but usal things

rust on arches, inner sills mainly, also under boot floor
check that theer s no smoke on start up etc
see if its had a metal pulley water pump
if its ever had a head gasket

when the car starts up if you hear a whining noise or long drone its called moosing and something to do with the breather system

also listen to ticks, give ita gentle rev and listen, if it does, this is either ex manifold gaskets failing, or headgasket failing as the head starts to lift on compression side and thats what the ticking is as the gasket is moving

check all electrics, front fogs aswell as these are expensive to replace

usual wear on seat bolsters, also drivers seat lift motor plays up a lot

check ball joints as you can only get arms from ford for these and are expensive

brakes are crap lol so worth upgrading if you get it
Old 28-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
tbh look for one after 1999, my mates 98 was rotten everywhere and only covered 60k, later ones used galvanised boddies, hence mine hasnt rusted lol
Mines a 97, had it mot'd on saturday, sailed through. while it was on the ramp, had a good look under it, clean as a whistle, sills, chassis legs, floors, minty mint, you could eat your dinner off them, and mine's just gone over 107k, so nur nicky nur nur lol
Old 28-07-2010, 06:37 PM
2wdRyan

Originally Posted by Fiddy
check for ticking coming from the engine, points to either exhaust manifold gasket or head gasket, the ticking is a tell tale sign of either, and if its from the rear bank, the exhaust, and head gaskets, are not easy to change, nothing down the back of the engine is. they eat bottom arms, so check for that. rust, sills, arches, chassis legs. make sure at 3k revs + the car gets a big jump in power, and by that, i mean a noticable amount, if not, the IMRC is knackered. check for missfires, they like to eat coil packs

but usal things

rust on arches, inner sills mainly, also under boot floor
check that theer s no smoke on start up etc
see if its had a metal pulley water pump
if its ever had a head gasket

when the car starts up if you hear a whining noise or long drone its called moosing and something to do with the breather system

also listen to ticks, give ita gentle rev and listen, if it does, this is either ex manifold gaskets failing, or headgasket failing as the head starts to lift on compression side and thats what the ticking is as the gasket is moving

check all electrics, front fogs aswell as these are expensive to replace

usual wear on seat bolsters, also drivers seat lift motor plays up a lot

check ball joints as you can only get arms from ford for these and are expensive

brakes are crap lol so worth upgrading if you get it
Cheers Guys much appreciated
Old 28-07-2010, 07:30 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Mines a 97, had it mot'd on saturday, sailed through. while it was on the ramp, had a good look under it, clean as a whistle, sills, chassis legs, floors, minty mint, you could eat your dinner off them, and mine's just gone over 107k, so nur nicky nur nur lol
its just pot luck with those years lol, you got lucky lol

im hating mine atthe minute though, whats gone wrong has gone wrong
Old 28-07-2010, 07:34 PM
2wdRyan

Listening to this is making me think not such a good plan and just go and buy a honda accord
Old 28-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

RUST!!!!!!
Old 28-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

whats gone wrong with it like, it hasnt done the old favorite and span the shells has it ?
Old 28-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by 2wdRyan
Listening to this is making me think not such a good plan
its a very good plan mate. there cheap as chips, and go on forever, aslong as you check for everything we mentioned, and it passes all those tests, your onto a winner. there good cars, and go on forever, you just need to know what to look for. mines 13 year old and done a 107k miles, its clean as a whistle, and purrs like a kitten, i kid you not. you just need to make sure you buy a good one.
Old 28-07-2010, 07:54 PM
2wdRyan

its a very good plan mate. there cheap as chips, and go on forever, aslong as you check for everything we mentioned, and it passes all those tests, your onto a winner. there good cars, and go on forever, you just need to know what to look for. mines 13 year old and done a 107k miles, its clean as a whistle, and purrs like a kitten, i kid you not. you just need to make sure you buy a good one.
Well, the good thing is I am in no panic to buy, so if it isnt much cop, its not like im in a situation where I need a car right now, I've just found another one advertised with 88k on it on a 1999T, and its got a boot instead of a hatch, I'll print a list off of what you guys have said (that should scare the seller turning up with a check list lol) and see what happens
Old 28-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

saloons are a lot better than hatches mate imho, well, thats if you dont need a hatch.

good news your not going to rush into it, just keep looking till you find the rite car mate. trust me, when you do find a good one, you wont be dissapointed, for what they are, there really good cars. dont be put off by what i said about the problems, there just known problems, not common problems.
Old 28-07-2010, 08:15 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

nah mines been a cracking car and has never let me down and its almost on 170k and get thes shit kicked out of it

speedo went on me but easy fix and cost me a tenner for a gearbox sensor

but my imrc is dead so ive lost all my power and my k and n bracket has snapped so my air filter isnt on anymore

but its the most reliable car ive ever owned, and only replaced the speed sensor in the 2 years ive had it, i do need to change bottom arms and front brakes but ill do this when i finish the sierra as my mondeo is going to be left on my drive as a back up car due to how reliable it is
Old 28-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

so the IMRC has died, there's a shock, speedo went, and your k&n bracket snapped, on a car thats done 170k, and your winging

just did my bottom arms and discs and pads before the mot. arms were the originals, so as you can imagine, they were proper f*cked

my IMRC packed up a couple of months back, got a new one, and mounted it on the battery tray, job jobbed

Last edited by Fiddy; 28-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 28-07-2010, 08:37 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

yeah thats what im going tod, just trying to get hold a lad breaking a st200 as i want the inlets, ecu,injectiors etc, as my mondeo already has full st200 spec interior and exhuats

where did you get the bottom arms from
Old 28-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

lad i know who breaks 200's and 24's, they were on a 24 he had just got in, and the lad had just fitted them, they were basiclly brand new, and for what i paid for them, i couldnt say no. brand spankers aint that expensive, and im not into buying second hand parts for maintenance, but like i said, they were pretty much brand new.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

great cars! I got a cheap one for Ł250 to move on and was dreading it....but turned out to be a brilliant car, only had it a few days mind but was pleasantly surprised - so much so that i'll be lookin for one for my winter runner

Top advice though, will keep it in mind for when i'm lookin
Old 29-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Ive just fitted the new style moose pipe to mine this morning, mine has been moosing its tits off for the last couple of months, ive tried different types of pipes, different size pipes, if anything, its got worse, it was getting annoying as well as embarassing. so im pleased to say the new pipe has sorted it, so no more warming the car up for 15 minutes on a morning before i can drive it, well, i could drive it, if i wanted it to sound like a ship coming into port
Old 29-07-2010, 06:41 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

i had it this morning, but cleared after 30 secs thank god, its only got to last another month then ill do all the work on it i want to do lol
Old 29-07-2010, 06:58 PM
scholesyy
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a 200 as my last car which i sold a while back now and i can honestly say it was the best and most reliable car ive ever owned! only thing that went on it in 2 years was the alternator! im goin to look at another 24 this weekend so fingers crossed il have one again!