General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

porsche boxters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rs_traynor
well if its full of fucking retards as usual on here you no what to do.
Yep, point out the facts and watch them make idiots of themselves getting wound up on the internet

By your reasoning of a boxter being a poor mans 911, are cossies the scrubbers version of proper sportscars?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
I see the arse talkers are here in abundance today!

Not fast but handle well... but nippy enough for round town driving.

Poor mans porka my ass.... when you've got a 911 you can tell me its a poor mans porka. Until then you cant. My betting is if you had a 911 you would have no comment anyways as you probably wouldn't be arsed.

I have a friend who knows some one with a poo brown lambo gallordo thingy.

Was at the pub - chap says
That your Lambo mate.
Yes
What a shit colour.
He says - what colour is yours?
Exactly...

Until you've got a 911 you cant call a boxster a poor mans 911.

What about a classic 911 - is that because you cant afford a newer one???
I think you have hit the nail on the head there mate. I had a Boxster about 7 years ago now, paid £25k for it and had it for 3 years and it was a lovely little car. It was the same then: " i hear you have got a Porsche mate? what sort-a Boxster! I wouldn't have one of them!"
Thanks for the informed opinion, now get back onto your Vectra,Megane etc etc and fuck off.
Yes there is a difference between a £25k Boxter and a "proper" £50-£60k 911 but if spending £25 k on any car makes it a poor mans version then hey-maybe it is.
Muffster.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
FasterFords
Advanced PassionFord User

PS - I'd have an S2000....

Simples
The S2000 isn't a patch on the Boxster, its just cheaper to run.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the main image problem comes from the tossers that drive them, much like the old BMW stereotype..... Does seem to be a car in the same ilk as the audi tt, as in it's more important to the owner to look good than the actual dynamics of the car....

Having driven the 2.5, the 2.7 and the 3.2, I can put my hand on my heart and say nice motor, but would never buy one. Build quality is typical Porsche, so it you want a nippy 2 seated sports car then go for it. In terms of outright speed it is never going to set records, but that's missing the point if the car?

As regards to the poor mans 911, the modern boxsters are pretty much on par with the older gen 993/6 Carreras anyway. If you buy a 911 imho it would HAVE to be a turbo or gt model.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Yep, point out the facts and watch them make idiots of themselves getting wound up on the internet

By your reasoning of a boxter being a poor mans 911, are cossies the scrubbers version of proper sportscars?
Yeah but u dont look gay in a cossie lol and with 350 or more there a fuck lot faster lol
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree i would only want a 911 turbo which is why i have never been able to afford one.

One day though lol.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Yeah but u dont look gay in a cossie lol and with 350 or more there a fuck lot faster lol
No you just look like you got 4 kids with 4 different Women a tag on your leg and a couple of Asbo's to show off to your Ghangster m8's innit
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by Chris Honeywell
No you just look like you got 4 kids with 4 different Women a tag on your leg and a couple of Asbo's to show off to your Ghangster m8's innit
Strange that as i have no kids no tag never had an asbo nor wish to be a gangster and only drive my old sierra 4 door on a sunny sunday after noon looking for cars like boxters and the one in your pic to totaly waste lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 03-05-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Shut up Honeywell you yuppie larve, we aint all fortunate enough to drive a Ferrari

Luciano
Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

I see the arse talkers are here in abundance today!

Not fast but handle well... but nippy enough for round town driving.

Poor mans porka my ass.... when you've got a 911 you can tell me its a poor mans porka. Until then you cant. My betting is if you had a 911 you would have no comment anyways as you probably wouldn't be arsed.

I have a friend who knows some one with a poo brown lambo gallordo thingy.

Was at the pub - chap says
That your Lambo mate.
Yes
What a shit colour.
He says - what colour is yours?
Exactly...

Until you've got a 911 you cant call a boxster a poor mans 911.

What about a classic 911 - is that because you cant afford a newer one???
my mate had one in 1996 when they first came out bceause "i always wanted to buy a new car"

he sold it about a year later because even though it was a great car, he wanted a 911
Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Where's Porkie as he has both and I'm sure he rated the Boxster as being the better drive of the two

The Boxster is a fucking great car END! Fantastic car, well balanced and so rewarding to drive, I was a hater. Then I actually drove one and they are now one of my fave cars that I have driven to date.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by PT
I seem to remember Porkie had one for years and loved the thing, the cars he has owned/driven, thats enough for me. Passionfords Jeremy Clarkson he is
hahah

still got it!!! best allround car I have ever owned!!!!

I drove it out to the Nurburging 2 weeks ago.... still a LOVELY LOVELY thing!

I only like it because I can't afford a proper porsche though

Just gove them a LOUD exhaust and a induction kit... they sound like sewing machines as standard. The early ones like mine ( I bought it 10 years ago now!!!!) are no balls of fire in straight line! but sooooooooooooo rewarding to drive and own.

V practical as well.

BAD BAD BAD image is their only real problem

Last edited by Porkie; 03-05-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 PM
cjwood555

I had a mate who had a 51-plate S (2.9?), then a 355 F1, and then a tuned 3.2 - the 2nd Boxster was just as fast as the 355, parts were cheaper and it didn't break down or stick the throttle wide open
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

As regards to the poor mans 911, the modern boxsters are pretty much on par with the older gen 993/6 Carreras anyway.

mate... the new standard Boxster S has well over 300bhp! and are FAST

would murder an old 911 Turbo etc etc.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

couldnt have put it better myself!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Where's Porkie as he has both and I'm sure he rated the Boxster as being the better drive of the two

The Boxster is a fucking great car END! Fantastic car, well balanced and so rewarding to drive, I was a hater. Then I actually drove one and they are now one of my fave cars that I have driven to date.

come and drive my one!

slow... BUT sounds soooo FAST!!!!

and that means you can really extend the engine and rev it and enjoy the car on public roads...

put your foot down in my Turbo and before you know it you are doing SPASTIC speeds.

Its not fun to PUSH it hard on a back round.... its scary and dangerous!!!

Boxster is!

Get over the image problem and enjoy the drive and the ownership experience. Road down... engine purring...

KNOWING you are driving a PURPOSE designed mid engined PORSCHE!

proper little cars!

REALLY surprised Chris Foster never like them.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lee, its always good to get an owners perspective when its not seriously biased, out of interest how would you compare the Boxster to the S2000 for interior space??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Porkie, you must stop coming on here and agreeing with me, you're making too many people look like idiots

I've had the use of a boxter s on and off since i got married in 2008 thanks to a very generous friend of my wifes and i absolutely love them, fun is not about absolute speed and the sooner folk understand that the quicker they'll start to enjoy driving!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
twoblacklines

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkie
come and drive my one!

and that means you can really extend the engine and rev it and enjoy the car on public roads...

put your foot down in my Turbo and before you know it you are doing SPASTIC speeds.

Its not fun to PUSH it hard on a back round.... its scary and dangerous!!!

Boxster is!

Get over the image problem and enjoy the drive and the ownership experience. Road down... engine purring...

KNOWING you are driving a PURPOSE designed mid engined PORSCHE!

proper little cars!

Are there any times when driving the boxster that you think "i wish i was in the 996 now" ?

As for image who really cares ? People say that i look stupid in a passat diesel, because its a boring car and im young and relativly carefree, personally i couldnt give a fuck what people think of me, not in a yobby manner as in wheelspinning around, im polite and respectable and hope people think the same of me.

TBH if i was looking for a porsche i would probably buy a speed yellow carerra 2, but only because i want one, and im betting that it would cost alot more to run than a boxster ?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1563667.htm
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Chris Honeywell

Strange that as i have no kids no tag never had an asbo nor wish to be a gangster and only drive my old sierra 4 door on a sunny sunday after noon looking for cars like boxters and the one in your pic to totaly waste lol
Anyone tries to race me i pull over out of the way don't wanna stone chip me bonnet
Loved my 2 Saffs i had and loved my Esc Cossie even more

But serious now I also had 2 Boxster's great cars drive real nice and lets be honest plenty fast enough on todays roads specially if you like me approaching 40
Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

couldnt have put it better myself!

One yuppie larve agreeing with another now that is funny

Luciano
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Anyone tries to race me i pull over out of the way don't wanna stone chip me bonnet
Loved my 2 Saffs i had and loved my Esc Cossie even more

But serious now I also had 2 Boxster's great cars drive real nice and lets be honest plenty fast enough on todays roads specially if you like me approaching 40
Im not doughting they are nice cars they do there job well ive driven the early one when i worked for autoglass i cut the screen out and the one i had was damaged he dident give a shit about the car as it was a company one so i drove it back with no screen in it later on that day after the bond had dryed i drove it back and i just dident realy rate it wasent fast to me. And yeah i get what your saying if i had a ferrari id pull over to lol getting it painted would be a night mare. I guess it depends on what your into me personally im into fast cosworths
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Lee, its always good to get an owners perspective when its not seriously biased, out of interest how would you compare the Boxster to the S2000 for interior space??

Cheers,
Grant

Luckily having had the chance to drive my mates s2000, it is a nice car, but I'm 6'4 and my knees were on the steering wheel even with the seat back fully, and there is no height adjustment iirc...very cramped cabin as well, but it is designed by the Japs who are as a race generally a lot shorter than us. Good fun to drive, pretty quick but hard work to keep it in the powerband, on the road a 2.7 or over boxster would muller it...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

guess it depends on what your into me personally im into fast cosworths
why can't you be into both? Different tools for different jobs?

A few years ago a owned a fast cossie (on the left )
didn't mean I didn't like the boxster and appreciate what an amazing alrounder it is

Last edited by Porkie; 03-05-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
Are there any times when driving the boxster that you think "i wish i was in the 996 now" ?
yes. Of course... I would not have bought one otherwise would I!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

didn't mean I didn't like the boxster and appreciate what an amazing alrounder it is

Porkie don't take this the wrong way, but you are very fortunate ( and no doubt work hard) to be in the position to be able to afford to have a selection of great cars....

99% of people do not have the luxury of being able to jump from a dedicated 500bhp+ track cossie to a 911 turbo for high speed fun to a boxster for sunny days! Most people have to find a happy compromise between speed/reliability/fun/running costs etc...
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Sorry will. I wasnt trying to say that people should own all the different cars.
Just that it IS possible to be able to enjoy appreciate and like the two different types of cars. You don't have to own any of them! I really like classic minis and of course I love old Fords etc...

Just seems some people (normally cossie owners seem to think that all other cars are crap and all that matters is bhp.

I just like cars. I like beetles and jeeps and all kinda weird crap! Obviously I LOVE drooling over the immaculate Fast fords in that 'bonkers' collection more mostly!

That was the point. Sorry if I did not get it across properly mate.

oh and its not about money, and I am not a car or badge snob!

If I was... I wouldnt have bought an old Clio 172 cup last week would I!

Last edited by Porkie; 04-05-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTi-R23
They really aren't that quick, just as a comparison, a mate of mine had one a few years back on demo or something from his work, I just about kept up with it in my Punto GT (170bhp), I do like how they sound.
Wouldn't have been a boxter s you'd have got smoked I'd say they're about the same as a stage 1 saph
Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Sorry will. I wasnt trying to say that people should own all the different cars.
Just that it IS possible to be able to enjoy appreciate and like the two different types of cars. You don't have to own any of them! I really like classic minis and of course I love old Fords etc...

Just seems some people (normally cossie owners seem to think that all other cars are crap and all that matters is bhp.

I just like cars. I like beetles and jeeps and all kinda weird crap! Obviously I LOVE drooling over the immaculate Fast fords in that 'bonkers' collection more mostly!

That was the point. Sorry if I did not get it across properly mate.

oh and its not about money, and I am not a car or badge snob!

If I was... I wouldnt have bought an old Clio 172 cup last week would I!
i don't think anyone i doubting you porkie, but as will has pointed out, most people will want their car to do everything well, rather than have a selection of cars that are right for the mood they are in (plus you also have the additional benifit of having somewhere to store them all )

if you are young free and single than yes, a 2 door sports car is going to be what you want to attract the opposite sex first and then appreciate for the engineering and driving abilites later on, then (and how many adverts have you seen stating the obvious) you have kids and a wife and shopping to deal with so you have to sell your pride and joy and move along to something "sensible" so that not only do you waft around in comfort, but you can also give tot he mrs to do the school run in, won't mind what happens to it parked up in tesco's and the like, and then you get old enough to be able to afford another fast car

with the prices of capable used metal all over the place, and with the fact that you can have 500 different porche and they'll all be different in some way shape or form, somewhere out there there will be the right car for someone, but in the minds of the general public (agitated by the likes of richard hammond from top gear fame) the boxster, and to some extend the other one (cayman?) will always be looked upon as the poor mans porche, regardless of how good a car they actually are
Old 04-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

What cars do you actually have now then Lee ? I thought the Boxster went ages back !
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Luckily having had the chance to drive my mates s2000, it is a nice car, but I'm 6'4 and my knees were on the steering wheel even with the seat back fully, and there is no height adjustment iirc...very cramped cabin as well, but it is designed by the Japs who are as a race generally a lot shorter than us. Good fun to drive, pretty quick but hard work to keep it in the powerband, on the road a 2.7 or over boxster would muller it...
Thanks Will, yea I have driven an S2000 for a wee while and it felt a little compact in there.. I'm just over 6ft, so can see why you were having issues being that bit taller!! Just wondered if the Boxster was any bigger inside than the Honda, because I do fancy a 2 seater at some point.

Something like this is a bit tempting with the nice weather we've had recently.

Cheers,
Grant

Last edited by RS Grant; 04-05-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Nice car. Dooooooooooo it
Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was surprised as well to be honest!!!! I found it very claustrophobic inside and not really enjoyable either. I did own it during a winter though so that may have been the problem as the roof was always up, perhaps with it down it may have been a different story. Found the same problem with my S2000!

Lee - im back in the UK tomorrow night so let me know when you want the car!

Grant - of the 2 mate (Boxster & S2K) personally i'd have another S2k, Sooooo much fun to drive, really REALLY arse happy and sounds awesome when revving hard (had a HKS exhaust on mine!). Cant drive it everyday to with no bother and 100% reliable being Honda.

Chris

Last edited by cfoster; 04-05-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I suppose you can directly relate to the 911/boxster thing. With the 348

We've had an S2000 for years now. Only ever service it and thrashed it. Now its done 100k i'm going to stick a big turbo on it and do 500hp.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

LOL thats just called haveing to much money!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Grant a guy i use to work with was 6foot 2 and owned a boxer for a couple of years , he realy loved the drive but agreed there not overly quick but not realy what there all about.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Ima Racing

Could never bring myself around to owning a boxster. My missus wanted me to get the 3.2s but i bought the saff instead much to her disgust!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

If its power you are after then not the prettiest thing in the world but why not consider a Z3-M? I like the boxsters too although can't help but think they should've been a bit more powerful. 0-60 in 4.5 doesn't sound like something to snigger at though.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by cfoster
Grant - of the 2 mate (Boxster & S2K) personally i'd have another S2k, Sooooo much fun to drive, really REALLY arse happy and sounds awesome when revving hard (had a HKS exhaust on mine!). Cant drive it everyday to with no bother and 100% reliable being Honda.
Totally forgot you owned the bumble bee mate.. ..out of the two, do you think the S2k has more interior space for the driver?? I know its an easy job to find out myself, but I'm struggling to find the few hours it takes to test one out myself at the moment!!

I test drove an S2k for an hour or so with a mate and it was a brilliant car (think you've got to love the VTEC characteristics.. to enjoy it properly) to hoon around in with the roof up or down.

Originally Posted by NEIL A
Grant a guy i use to work with was 6foot 2 and owned a boxer for a couple of years , he realy loved the drive but agreed there not overly quick but not realy what there all about.
Defo sounds like its worth trying to get a drive of one, I'm not expecting it to be lightning (specially since I'm used to turbo shove) but to be honest... I want something which is a bit more of a package than a one trick pony, which was the reason I wanted rid of my EK9 as it was far too balls out for me and the part of the reason I'm wanting the Subaru gone is that I find it severely fast on the road without even trying at all, so I'd actually prefer something a bit more linear and chilled.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

come and drive my one!

Would love to but then I'll want one again and I'm not really in a position to get one. Tried talking Kath into one but after doing a full circle we're right back at the MX5 again. Mind you she's now decided she wants a cheap one to play with while the weather is good and she can carry on saving to get a new one in the new year as her boat needs painting which is a bit of a pricey excercise

Quick Reply: porsche boxters