General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fecking insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
tay14
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fecking insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

About 6 months ago someone hit my l200 pick up when parked up and drove off,i phoned the police i they said as it was in a car park they could do nothing and to phone my insurance.When i did they said i had two choices claim on my insurance and loose my no claims and excess or just pay for the repairs my self ,so i got my mate just to repair the car.I have know come to renew and the price had gone up by £200 due to my claim!!!!!!! ive spoke to them and because a rang them its classed as a claim even !!!!!!!!!!which i have to declare for the next 5 years!!!!!!!!!i have rang up some more companies and the claim is putting around £100 on the price.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
MENIS
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats wrong as you didnt actually claim from them i mean they never paid for the repairs or even sent a estimator to value the damage.i would argue the case as really you only phoned for advice and theres no damage visible now so how do they know it happened.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM
tay14
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MENIS
thats wrong as you didnt actually claim from them i mean they never paid for the repairs or even sent a estimator to value the damage.i would argue the case as really you only phoned for advice and theres no damage visible now so how do they know it happened.
when i phoned they are saying i phoned the claim line and not the customer service line. they ask me loads of details ie location,damage ect but at the end they gave me the choice claim or pay my self.It only needed a bit of filler and painting which my mate did for free.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Tell them you did NOT claim and you want the claim removing from the record. If they decline, advise them you will be taking the matter up with the insurance ombudsman
Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't matter - If you had an incident, even if you have to brake to avoid an accident and don't damage the car you're still 'supposed' to call the insurers and tell them! Claiming puts up your premium, and so does being involved in an accident, regardless of any monetary claim.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

yeah basically the systems fucked up. any accident however minor is supposed to be immediately reported! Failure to report ASAP means they can refuse to pay out.

Makes you wonder if youd have been better off claiming if you had protected NCB!

If youd chosen to not call them and repaired it yourself then youd technically be in breach of your policy if you didnt declare the accident. The system sucks!!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It's unfair but you had an accident so they will see you as more of a liability.

Thing is, even protected NCB, if you have a crash and claim, next year that policy will go up I bet, and when asked why as you have protected NCB, 'all policies have gone up' will be the answer.

So you go to another insurance company and they ask (before quoting) 'have you had an accident or claim in the last 5 years'

Now, I truly believe that regardless of you 'protected no claims' that company will price the policy as you having had a bump.

So what good is protected no claims??

AND, a few years back my sister had a polish lad run out in front of her car, police attended and said that it was totally his fault and witness confirmed she was not speeding. Yet, when she renewed her insurance they charged her £800 MORE for the new policy!!! and said that she had an open claim? the lad apparently had a certain time in which to claim and so until that time had expired they needed to leave it open and charge her as if she had claimed - even though it was not her fault??

She went to another insurance firm who said 'we cannot insure you whilst you have an open case' so had to stay with tesco and then had to fight to get her £800 back after the year had ended and no claim had been made by the lad.

Last edited by matts1; 12-01-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by matts1
It's unfair but you had an accident so they will see you as more of a liability.

Thing is, even protected NCB, if you have a crash and claim, next year that policy will go up I bet, and when asked why as you have protected NCB, 'all policies have gone up' will be the answer.

So you go to another insurance company and they ask (before quoting) 'have you had an accident or claim in the last 5 years'

Now, I truly believe that regardless of you 'protected no claims' that company will price the policy as you having had a bump.

So what good is protected no claims??

AND, a few years back my sister had a polish lad run out in front of her car, police attended and said that it was totally his fault and witness confirmed she was not speeding. Yet, when she renewed her insurance they charged her £800 MORE for the new policy!!! and said that she had an open claim? the lad apparently had a certain time in which to claim and so until that time had expired they needed to leave it open and charge her as if she had claimed - even though it was not her fault??

She went to another insurance firm who said 'we cannot insure you whilst you have an open case' so had to stay with tesco and then had to fight to get her £800 back after the year had ended and no claim had been made by the lad.
I changed insurance companies with an open case, however they wouldnt give me any NCB untill it was sorted, they then applied it retrospectively. i think you'll find thats what happened.

Insurance companies are bumraping money grabbing unethical motherfuckers though!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
tim_ber

Time for a non-profit making (or co-operative ?) insurance company to be born. All salaries get paid, all claims settled properly.

Maybe started by motorists for motorists? Not allowed to be run by banking w@nkers.

Could be elitist? E.g. only passionford members allowed !
Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
rs combi
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Tell them you did NOT claim and you want the claim removing from the record. If they decline, advise them you will be taking the matter up with the insurance ombudsman
my mrs did this when some old duffer pulled out on her only realy scratched the back wheel

called them to let them know then told them not to bother with it a few days later

month or so later had her renual through and they had loaded the policy cos of "the claim " she rang them and told them to get it removed took a bit of arguing but it all got removed in the end