General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anybody been to ko samui?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody been to ko samui?

Off next week. Looking for any advice or tips on what to do or where to go?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Been twice. 2008 & 2009.

Where are you staying ?

We stayed in the Choeng Mon Beach area which was nice and quiet.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

first tip would be to fly directly there from bangkok. reason being, although the overnight train journey from bangkok to surat thani is good, getting a bus or whatever from there to get the ferry across is a bit of a hassle with touts etc.

2nd would be to get a moped when you get there and explore the island. there are a lot of areas that are just tourist traps and not worth going to (chaweng etc ), and there are still a lot of unspoilt parts where you can eat like a local.

fancy staying somewhere like this, right on the beautiful beach?

i thoroughly recommend taking a speed boat day tour from hat mae nam to the marine park where you stop at various deserted islands, do some sea kayaking and snorkelling etc

also recommend that you go and visit the grandmother and grandfather rocks - rock formations shaped like a clunge and a knob
Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Were staying at the northern end of cheweng beach. We were hoping to get some beach huts 1 or 2 nights. Those look lovely in the pics. Were flying from bangkok.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate of mine lives over there every wintr, he has some tourist bungalows. He loves it to its , wish i was there now. Taxi from Bankok, cheap as chips lol
Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by m3cosworth
Were staying at the northern end of cheweng beach. We were hoping to get some beach huts 1 or 2 nights. Those look lovely in the pics. Were flying from bangkok.

Chaweng aint too bad tho it comes alive at night! If you are looking for a night out on the town we went to some ok bars / clubs. Sweet Soul Cafe, Mint, Reggae Reggae and Solo are a few places we visited on our night out which were all good places.

There are some nice resturants in Fishermen's Village , which is about 10 / 15 mins in a taxi, one place I can recommend is The Shack, they do a very nice steak in there! But you just have to walk up and down the street there as there are so many places to choose from.

We took a tour round the island and like ForeigneRS has said Grandfather & Grandmother rock is worth a vist. We also went on a snorkling trip to Koh Tao which was really good, you stop off at a stunning little island.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

just be prepared for the thai style of driving, hope you like beeping horns!
never looked for the seatbelt so quick in my life!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 AM
the original
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

my advice is get a speedboat over to a full moon party. and score a nice ho for a week if you're not taking mrs they will take you to all the good local stuff you wouldn't normally see
Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thailand is a great place to go on holiday been a couple of times, ive not been to Samui yet but its on my list for next time. Thai people are so friendly and its such a layed back country, probs the only place in the world you can walk into a shooting range visably drunk and they still let you loose with all kind of guns
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by the original
my advice is get a speedboat over to a full moon party. and score a nice ho for a week if you're not taking mrs they will take you to all the good local stuff you wouldn't normally see

We did the Full Moon Party, was an experience thats for sure! Good night tho!

We stayed on Koh Phangan for the weekend of the party as did not want to risk the overloaded speed boats from Samui to Full Moon.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 AM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
We did the Full Moon Party, was an experience thats for sure! Good night tho!

We stayed on Koh Phangan for the weekend of the party as did not want to risk the overloaded speed boats from Samui to Full Moon.
Like Helen says fuck not staying on Koh Phangan for the full moon. Unless its a full moon party though I wouldn't bother, I went to a half moon the second time and it was rubbish. Been to Samui twice and to be honest thats enough for me, was pretty bored second time, but doing nothing on a holiday isn't really my thing
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by the original
Been to Thailand before with the mrs. Boys only this time. Seen the driving before, nothing compared to india tho, that's proper crazy.
Ho for a week!? Lol how does that work?
No full moon party while I'm there, shall I still go to ko phagen then?
Is it quite safe out there, the embassy website my mate read proper shit him up bout all the crime n stuff!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Been to Thailand before with the mrs. Boys only this time. Seen the driving before, nothing compared to india tho, that's proper crazy.
Ho for a week!? Lol how does that work?
No full moon party while I'm there, shall I still go to ko phagen then?
Is it quite safe out there, the embassy website my mate read proper shit him up bout all the crime n stuff!

If there is no Full Moon Party no need to go over and stay over there, but you could always do a day trip over there is you wanted to see another island.

There is crime etc everywhere you go just common sense to lock valubles in hotel room safe etc, you say you are going on a lads holiday, only advice I will give you is dont take the piss out of the ladyboys when on a night out as they will attack you Unless of course you are into all the ladyboy stuff
Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Not into ladyboys thanks very much, but might not be able to resist the piss taking tho. And I'm not sure what to do if one was to attack me. Kick them in the balls...lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Not into ladyboys thanks very much, but might not be able to resist the piss taking tho. And I'm not sure what to do if one was to attack me. Kick them in the balls...lol.
No idea, never got into any situation like that just saw they can be vicious fuckers

If you take a photo of a ladyboy dont let them see, according to an ex-pat we were on a night out with they will ask for money for the photo you have just taken
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

How much is a taxi from the airport to cheweng beach by the way. Just so I dnt start the trip by getting ripped off.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How much is a taxi from the airport to cheweng beach by the way. Just so I dnt start the trip by getting ripped off.
dont get a cab from the airport as they are more expensive, but if its your first visit you might have to
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I would say approx 300bhat
Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
dont get a cab from the airport as they are more expensive, but if its your first visit you might have to
What are my options apart from a cab. Dnt fancy getting a tuctuc.
300baht not much anyway.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

One of the girls at work went for her honeymoon there last year. The pictures of the place were awesome
Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 AM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What are my options apart from a cab. Dnt fancy getting a tuctuc.
300baht not much anyway.
They dont have tuc tucs on Samui iirc, just jump on the back of a pick up with about 8 other people
Old 11-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by PT
They dont have tuc tucs on Samui iirc, just jump on the back of a pick up with about 8 other people

I have not seen any on Samui, just normal taxi's.