General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

M-Tech Automotives V4 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default M-Tech Automotives V4 ECU

HI,

I am looking at changing my ECU and am considering either the Emerald or the V4 from M-Tech Automotive, as I cannot afford to go down the DTA etc route.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually had this V4 ECU fitted yet and what your thoughts are like about it.

I know people use the emerald ECU and have heard good and bad about it so just wondering what the consensus is on the V4 to try and help me make my mind up, and decide if the emerald is worth the extra £800 ish.

Thanks

Adam
Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I looked the Emerald K3 cost just over £600.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

what i dont like about Emerald K3 (not that i have much expirence with ecus) is that you cant update it live if that makes sence?? you have to change a map point and then press ctrl s or sumink like that

but from what ive heard and the expirences ive had with matt are very good i must say. he fixed a broken ecu that i bort off fleebay a wile ago it had been wired up wrong and burnt somethink out???

best bit about it tho it was one he had built and was still under warrinty so he fixed it Free of charge he cound have just kept his mouth shut and charged me but just goes to show hes an honist guy

im looking at going to him at sum point
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

think you have got prices mixed up mate!

Emerald K3 is £580 (+ the dreaded ) and comes with a base map to get your car running
( So say Dave Walker has a policy not to send out an ECU without a base map for your car where at all possible)

As said above. the only down side to Emerald is the actual mapping software... but that is literally just One aspect of the mapping software that isnt as easy to use as others..everything else i have seen on the prog. seems actually more simple and easier to use than others (sensor calibration ETC)

as for DTA. i dont think its THAT much.. sure fudgee paid around £600 for his recently

Last edited by pee vee; 06-01-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

the only problem is i do not have the knowledge to wire the ecu into the car loom so would need to get it fitted, i am also not the sort of person who would want to drive it on just a base map however good it is.

my prices were based on the company closest to me that the guys at emerald told me about, and the prices include the ECU itself, fitting and mapping.

thanks for the input so far but noone has actually said they are running the new V4 yet so does anyone?
by the way it is not going on a YB cossie but the BOA 24v V6 cosworth engine.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

pm chip mate,

i belive he has fitted and mapped a couple of these m-tech units.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
GaryHurn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

go to who your getting to map it, ask them what they prefer and go with that option!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

well the person i get to map it will be the garage that fitts and supplies the ecu so they both would prefer to use their own. unfortunately for me there are no local garages that do this and about 40 miles in the closest to me.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:31 PM
M-Tech Automotive
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by saph in dorset
well the person i get to map it will be the garage that fitts and supplies the ecu so they both would prefer to use their own. unfortunately for me there are no local garages that do this and about 40 miles in the closest to me.
Hi there,

We are holding a group buy. to be honest alot of the mapping on the V4 is done by myself due to the prices and the good reports we get, but the software is easy to use. (I have tried Emerald, and have people come to me for mapping, but I do tuen them away because of the Cntrl-S stuff and whole table burns you need to do.) Dave walker is a good mapper but having to travel to Norwich and a few week lead time can cuase hassle.

We offer our system for £995 supplied fitted and mapped on our Dyno Dynamics Rollers. You can also download the software from our website as well as manuals if you wish to have a look.

You do recieve one hours free dyno time with each ECU so many peeps road map the bottom end then bring it to us to finalise, tweak top and get a power graph.

Check my sig for more info.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 13-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

TBH, given that you dont want to get involved yourself, I would have thought that going to Matt for a drive in drive out solution wasnt a bad way to go.

I cant even begin to imagine how anyone could justify 800 extra for the Emerald.

Dave Walker is a bit of a legend, so I can understand people wanting him to map their car and being prepared to pay a bit for that priviledge as it were, but if you are just getting some local garage to do it anyway I really cant see the point.
Old 13-01-2010, 04:58 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

thanks for your input, i think i have pretty much made my mind up with which way i am going now so just depends on when i can save up the money to get it done as i am totaly skint after xmas and paying out for insurance.

out of interest i would be looking at getting some extra fuel economy out of the engine as well as some extra power.

what sort of inmproved fuel economy do you think is possible by changing the an aftermarket ECU?
Old 13-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Chip

Depends on how badly mapped your existing ecu is!
Old 13-01-2010, 05:05 PM
M-Tech Automotive
BANNED
BANNED

thanks for your input, i think i have pretty much made my mind up with which way i am going now so just depends on when i can save up the money to get it done as i am totaly skint after xmas and paying out for insurance.

out of interest i would be looking at getting some extra fuel economy out of the engine as well as some extra power.

what sort of inmproved fuel economy do you think is possible by changing the an aftermarket ECU?
As Chip said, depends what we are starting with, but in general, yes, we can 'clean' it up as it were.

With switcable maps and boost control, we can have a 4psi map for getting around, which will use very little fuel, flick the switch, turning the boost back up automatically, and go for crazy power at the top end...

Old 13-01-2010, 05:24 PM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

thanks for that, i am now using the other thread about the group buys for my questions to save doubling up with questions here as well.

i hope to speak to you soon.

Adam
Old 13-01-2010, 05:29 PM
M-Tech Automotive
BANNED
BANNED

Adam, no worries, chat on there.

Cheers
Old 13-01-2010, 05:48 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by M-Tech Automotive
As Chip said, depends what we are starting with, but in general, yes, we can 'clean' it up as it were.

With switcable maps and boost control, we can have a 4psi map for getting around, which will use very little fuel, flick the switch, turning the boost back up automatically, and go for crazy power at the top end...

why would anyone want a 4psi map just for getting round? just dont put your foot right down if i dont want to go that fast .
Old 13-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by crazycage
why would anyone want a 4psi map just for getting round? just dont put your foot right down if i dont want to go that fast .
It was just an example, doesnt have to be specifically 4psi

But on a big turbo car, its well worth having a lower boost setting, on my nova its really fucking difficult to try and control the boost with just your throttle, its about 2mm difference between 2 bar and off boost if I turn the throttle angle based boost control off!
Old 13-01-2010, 05:52 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

HI,

I am looking at changing my ECU and am considering either the Emerald or the V4 from M-Tech Automotive, as I cannot afford to go down the DTA etc route.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually had this V4 ECU fitted yet and what your thoughts are like about it.

I know people use the emerald ECU and have heard good and bad about it so just wondering what the consensus is on the V4 to try and help me make my mind up, and decide if the emerald is worth the extra £800 ish.

Thanks

Adam
What car/ engine is it for?
Old 13-01-2010, 05:57 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
It was just an example, doesnt have to be specifically 4psi

But on a big turbo car, its well worth having a lower boost setting, on my nova its really fucking difficult to try and control the boost with just your throttle, its about 2mm difference between 2 bar and off boost if I turn the throttle angle based boost control off!
my point was you could drive it off boost if your just driving round and not wanting to go flat out and burn loads of fuel but each to there own
Old 13-01-2010, 06:20 PM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
What car/ engine is it for?

BOA 24v V6
and i will guess its going into his sapph
Old 13-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i paid £550 for a DTA S40 ecu, the loom plug was £20 and i wired it myself. from MEF motorsport - tony, nuts r us off here

you can buy a prewired plug for more, but you still have to connect the injectors and sensor ends yourself (or whoever fitting it does.)

im not great on mapping so i cant comment just yet on how easy it is to use, as my car has not been mapped at all yet.

to be fair, less than £1k for an ecu, fitting and mapping is a very good deal for the V4