General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Best mans speech ---- ideas ???

Search this Thread

Old 16-12-2009, 02:55 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Best mans speech ---- ideas ???

Right guys its that time. I am going to be the best man on Feb 13th and really need some help. I have been putting it off to long now and need some helpfull input. Would love it if i got some good ideas from you lot, it needs to be clean though!!! I think i will be alright talking once i get up but i am pretty nervous about it, i wont be able to remember a thing as my memory is shit so i think i will need to use cue cards.

Oh I want to say something about his dad too as he died 2 years ago but i dont know how. He was a top bloke who looked after all of us but dont know how to put it into words......dont want to spend too much time on it as i dont want everyone crying their eyes out..

Any ideas on any aspect of it would be really appreciated.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:15 PM
mulla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tryed googling bestmans speeches got mine from there just changed them a bit realy helped me out.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:22 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

start with ..........

" my boss wasnt going to give me the time off to come here today folks ,

so instead i phoned in sick.........

he said cutch you dont sound sick ?????

so i said " well im fucking my sister , is that sick enough for you " ???

they will be in tears , whatever you say afterwards wont matter bud

on the father note , keep it breif and to the point just say your sure hes looking down with a big smile , wishing he was at the bar or something , folk tend to dwell and get evryone teary eyed , folk who knew him will be thinking of him anyway ,

hope this helps

beef
Old 16-12-2009, 03:23 PM
cossie500
To Queef is not right

Everyone expects the best mans speech to be funny and you need to incorporate the lighter side of things in with the more serious stuff like your mates dad.
I'm no expert but i had the same situation when i was made best man.
If you want to talk about your mates dad try and think of or find out some funny stories of things he got up to or did and filter that in so your not going to make your mate or other relatives cry etc.
Try typing best man speeches into google, there is some good one liners you can add in if your struggling with your own material.

The speech needs to be to the point and funny in parts, don't try to be peter Kay if your not, if you need Que cards make the writing large but brief to keep you on track rather than read from.
People who cant make it send cards and i think the best man reads them out or mine did anyway, don't bother reading them all out, nobody cares and its boring, just thank the people who sent cards and couldn't make it and pass the cards over unless there's only one or two.
Don't forget to toast the bride and groom and make a comment on how good the brides maids look even if they are all pigs.
Practice your speech, if you don't it will all go wrong, don't think you can knock one up in 20 mins and then deliver it perfectly as you wont and you will let your mate down.
Practice it loads especially if your not comfortable speaking in front of a group, believe me when you stand up to give the speech you will know what i mean.
Be yourself and enjoy it, have a drink to calm the nerves but don't get plastered.
You will be fine though I'm sure, disregard this if you like as i said I'm not an expert.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

"Thanks for being a good mate, you and your family have always been good to me, we're all really proud of you and if your dad was still with us he'd be proud too" etc..

Obviously needs to be abit longer than that..

Big-Dan.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:27 PM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

"a wise man once said that the best mans speech needs to last as long as the groom can in bed, ladies and gentleman, the happy couple"
Old 16-12-2009, 03:27 PM
kiddie
Advanced PassionFord User

I've been waiting for this day for a long time, finally after 26 years of knowing ...... he has finally admitted that i'm the best man!
Old 16-12-2009, 03:28 PM
kiddie

I have been worried about doing the speech so I prepaired a few lines, now there gone I feel much better sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif
Old 16-12-2009, 03:31 PM
daviddunlop83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -beefy-
start with ..........

" my boss wasnt going to give me the time off to come here today folks ,

so instead i phoned in sick.........

he said cutch you dont sound sick ?????

so i said " well im fucking my sister , is that sick enough for you " ???

they will be in tears , whatever you say afterwards wont matter bud

hope this helps

beef
PMSL i think you would be one of the few people who could pull that opening like off beefy

Be careful of copying ones from google as i was at a friends wedding and everyone knew the best mans speech was straight off the internet and most of it had basically been heard at various other weddings

Last edited by daviddunlop83; 16-12-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:31 PM
mcst

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some may take the piss but i'd say once you have it together, practice a few times on your own, especially if you're not comfortable with public speaking. The practice will help you with the pace and some of it will sink in and you will only need a little help from your cue cards, the last thing you want to do is rattle through it too quick or drone on forever. Make sure you have a pen handy too, when i sat at the top table i thought of some bits to add and scribbled some reminders.

I thanked my brother for asking me to be his best man in mine.
Its tradition for the best man to comment/compliment the bridesmaids"i think you will all agree that the bridesmaids all look fantastic" etc,etc.....
I'd avoid trying to be too funny if you don't know many of the guests.
To mention his father would be something like how proud his dad would be of him and how he would have loved to have (the bride) as his daughter in law. He was a great bloke and how sad it is that he can't be with you all to celebrate the marriage, maybe offer a toast to his dad at this point?
Old 16-12-2009, 03:39 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

daved id be a cunt lol , hence why ive never been asked ,

id pro say ,

" welcome everyone im pissed, the mother in laws a bitch , ive fingerd two of the bridesmaids , and the groom had his cock sucked on his stag do !!

ladies and gentleman " the bride and groom "

beef
Old 16-12-2009, 03:41 PM
daviddunlop83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -beefy-
daved id be a cunt lol , hence why ive never been asked ,

id pro say ,

" welcome everyone im pissed, the mother in laws a bitch , ive fingerd two of the bridesmaids , and the groom had his cock sucked on his stag do !!

ladies and gentleman " the bride and groom "

beef
It would def liven things up if nothing else
Old 16-12-2009, 03:49 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i got some good ideas off the net on what, when and how a best man is supposed to do / say

i did have my speech written down in different colours at subject changes
i also gave me pal a copy of my speech

i did also write bits down when the both fathers were speaking

i still havent seen the video but really wanna, i knocked em bandy!!!!!!!

just keep ya cool
Old 16-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Mark RS

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

stay away from the inter web you can spot them a mile off.
Old 16-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Mark RS

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

sounds stupid mate but PRACTICE once you have your speach wrote stand in front of the mirror and say it out,i was advised this and it seamed to help on the nerv front on the big day
Old 16-12-2009, 06:30 PM
rs1072
PassionFord Post Troll

hi mate my old thread if it is of help to you
https://passionford.com/forum/genera...en-liners.html
and good luck ive done it twice now !
Old 16-12-2009, 07:17 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Right, i recently did one for a mater and was terrified!!!

Here are my tips:

First up search best mans speech on google and also watch some on youtube - there are some good bits you can use as a template or funny bits you make fit your mates life.

Q cards, they are a god send, you may not need them but are very hand to have - pull out key words so that at a glance you remember the story by the key word.

Practice out loud and on the misses with and without the cards and time yourself to see how long it lasts, practice slowing it down etc where needed - it really helps

TOP TIP TOP TIP!!! we got someone to run a sweep stake on how long it will last, someone goes round before the speech and everyone gets a guess for a pound.

This does two things, a gives you some banter with the crowd and helps them feel part of it, and takes the focus off you a little.

Now, start with 'I was told the best mans speech should last as long as he can make love, so don't worry, I wont be talking for long, who ever put down 5 minuters on the sweep stake, your have no chance.

During the speech if you struggle a little, turn to you misses or mate and say 'how am i doing, we have 4.20 don't we' and look at your watch, will give you a breather to get back into it.

Be carefull with the sad stuff, keep it limited and then move on and remember that the groom of father of the bride may mention it so you may have to drop it at the last moment.

It is not as bad as you think IF you use the templates that are out there and practice plenty until you can do it off the cuff without the cards.
Old 16-12-2009, 09:37 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Originally Posted by kiddie
I've been waiting for this day for a long time, finally after 26 years of knowing ...... he has finally admitted that i'm the best man!

Thats fkn quality! It actually fits right in with me and him.

Some great ideas guys, i am offshore until the 12th jan so i will get a chance to try and write some stuff, cant look at you tube etc cos the connections crap.

Beefy i cant touch your stuff with a barge pole, i used to scrap with this guy and he would kick my c**t in if i said that! Prob a few others in there too! (got your text, when you selling me it, wink wink)

I am usaully all right when i get up in front of folk but i aint a born entertainer! Will look through the other thread as well, thanks for that mate.
Old 16-12-2009, 09:44 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you do a search Renton put one up one here some time ago that I thought was really good.
Old 16-12-2009, 09:46 PM
RstAaron.

I did mine the night before my dad's wedding and used one of the many guides available on the internet to get a rough idea of how to go about it. I didn't want to have a 3 hour speech because I know what it's like to sit a listen to a speech that you have no idea about what their going on about. Keep it simple. I started mine with

"Normaly in a best man speech you're supposed to tell an amusing story from the grooms past, unfortunately my dad's such a boring old fart there aren't any..."
Old 17-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DONT use the net and get all the cheesy usual shit!!

However there's one i only heard for 1st time earlier this eyar that i hadn't heard but guess it does the rounds...

Finish with...

I wish you all the best blah blah and i hope that your wedding night is like a kitchen table........................all legs and nae drawers

i loved it
Old 17-12-2009, 09:44 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I got married last year, it's traditional for the best man to read out cards and messages wishing the happy couple all the best, especially from people who can't make it.
Anyway, he started off with his speech, and then read out the cards, there was quite a lot so it got a bit quiet near the end, until he read out a card that said,
"Dear Roger, oh how i miss our lovely ,long lonely nights together by the pool, I'm sorry it didn't work out between us, and I hope you and your wife are very happy together, i'm sparing a special thought for you on this day, Lots of Love, Michael Barrymore"
Needless to say half way thru i was thinking wtf, who is this from, and then everyone satrted laughing at the end, turned out he'd planted that in there at the end, was a nice touch.
Old 27-01-2010, 08:10 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Right thats me home and actually sitting down to do this, any last ideas before i put pen to paper??

will be looking at rs1072's aswell!
Old 27-01-2010, 08:18 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Two best best man speeches I have heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpH76_muRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linhW66L6Ks
Old 27-01-2010, 10:03 PM
stonehavencossie

Thumbs up

I had to do my first best man speech a few months back and have another in the summer.

One of the most terrifying things i have had to do in my life.

But, after it you wonder what all the fuss was and why you worried so much.

Firstly, people who say dont drink are speaking crap. Just dont get legless

I was drunk but with it and it did help ease things.

Secondly, practise. As said plenty of guides on google on how to lay it out but you have to make it personal. Its easier than you think when you sit down and ideas come flooding. I started by practising in front of a mirror then my girlfreind and my folks. You feel like a twat but it does help.

Lastly, crude is not funny if its a very formal occasion. The light hearted, genuine stories go down much better than any cliched lines. Make sure you thank everyone at the end. I wrote my full speech on small bits of nice cardboard incase i forgot anything but found i only had to look down now and again as a reminder for some points.

If you PM me i can send you a copy of my speech to give you an idea. It went down very well
Old 27-01-2010, 10:26 PM
gazdon
wheeler dealer

never again the last one i did for my mate ended in a pub fight 2 mins after i had done the speach it was like a weston in the bar tables the lot funny now i think about it but not funny at the time.
Old 28-01-2010, 08:58 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark RS
stay away from the inter web you can spot them a mile off.
best advice so far!!
Old 28-01-2010, 09:20 AM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have never given a best mans speach, but was the groom when my best man gave a speach - and can give you advice from the grooms perspective!

Always throw in a couple of stories from the grooms past, He is expecting them to be embarrassing yet funny.

Always pay respect to his lost loved ones who couldnt be there, but try to do it in a light hearted way (I lost my brother in '05) - and the way Aiden paid respect to him will go down in my mind for a lot longer than the speach!

Always compliment how the bride is looking! And one nice touch Aiden did for us, is thanked all of the guests on our behalf for the gifts, in case we didnt get chance to do it personally (On your wedding day everything is in a haize, and sometimes you forget the most simple things)