General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo TDCi Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM
killerdelts
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
that sounds like the symptons i had on mine, it was the egr valve, try unplugging it, will work fine and pass an mot without it

were is the egr valve thanks, so you dont think its the fuel pump then
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

an EGR fault won't make it cut out.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Just a quick update on my original problem - it was the cam position sensor all along, as suggested by B16 JUB and rs turbo j.

Many thanks lads, you saved me a fair few quid there!

Neil.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
killerdelts
Virgin

Originally Posted by DazC
an EGR fault won't make it cut out.
will it show on the dash board this fault as mine has no fault
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

It will log an error code in the ECU but usually doesn't put the light on.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
killerdelts
Virgin

Originally Posted by DazC
It will log an error code in the ECU but usually doesn't put the light on.

mines been on machine but shows no fault
Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
kimzie
Virgin

Hi, got a focus 1.8tdci wont run if we eventually get it running it runs really rough leaves the garage in a cloud of smoke before cutting out again. Its coming up with codes p1211, p2291, p0251. can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is as rough as fuck when it starts (dfm fooked?), chucks out a load of smoke then runs great all day long. Throttle pedal has no effect on strting either for a good few seconds after it's running.

It's done 110k and still returns 51mpg. Can't complain too much.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kimzie
Hi, got a focus 1.8tdci wont run if we eventually get it running it runs really rough leaves the garage in a cloud of smoke before cutting out again. Its coming up with codes p1211, p2291, p0251. can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks
P0251 - fuel pump metering control. Pump failure
P1211 - injector pressure high/low. Injector fault or ECU.
P2291 - injector pressure too low when engine cranking

The first code possibly caused the other two. It points to it being the pump, but it could also be the injectors.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
kimzie
Virgin

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
P0251 - fuel pump metering control. Pump failure
P1211 - injector pressure high/low. Injector fault or ECU.
P2291 - injector pressure too low when engine cranking

The first code possibly caused the other two. It points to it being the pump, but it could also be the injectors.

Is the best bet going to be to try a fuel pump then? I have got access to another focus of the same spec so i can possibly do abit of elimination from trying parts from that vehicle seen as it runs fine. Is there a possibility of this causing a fault on the other vehicle though? Thanks for the help much appreciated
Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the best bet going to be to try a fuel pump then? I have got access to another focus of the same spec so i can possibly do abit of elimination from trying parts from that vehicle seen as it runs fine. Is there a possibility of this causing a fault on the other vehicle though? Thanks for the help much appreciated
That's by FAR the best thing to do. With diesels it seems that process of elimination is the only way to solve problems, as the fault codes throw you off in all different directions.

I can't see how is could cause any problems to the donor car, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is prob the best thing to do as your not falking out for parts but the pumps do need to be coded with the ecu same as the injectors do.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
kimzie
Virgin

We can program the injectors with the snapon verus. can the pump be done with this to or is it a dealer job?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would imagine if you can program the injectors then you can program the pump too but i'm no expert on this and i hate modern diesels due to the dmf and the pumps and injectors
Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 PM
DannoRS
RS Turbo

If these are same as diesel jag xtype's then the metering valve can be replaced.. just check if there's any breaks in the wiring loom also that passes the EGR Valve

They were common to go there on jag and under the rad, passenger side!
Old 21-08-2012, 09:24 PM
monica
Virgin

My 02 tdci mk 3 mondeo was acting same as killerdelts, 3 months been trying to solve the mystery, its driving me mad and into deeper debt ! all injectors have been re-coned and double checked they are working fine, but now car has taken to knocking occasionly, then starts jerking/surging, its vibrating on tickover surging mostly under 2000 revs and completely cutting out wont restart, fuel rail was blown through yesterday and car restarted but done exact same thing today broke down on busy roundabout, recovery truck put diagnostic machine which said fuel preasure probs so last resort having a new pump fitted tommorow, initially it would puff out black smoke if i acelerated to overtake, but saturday it went into symptoms i explained and saw blue smoke, poxy car, bring back my mk1 or 2 that never saw a garage other than mot time, this mk 3 has been a real sick note had to do flywheel, replaced pipes, done injectors, starting to wish id never moved onto the mk 3

Last edited by monica; 21-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:34 PM
trudtfish
Part of the Furniture

I don't know if this will help anyone on here, but i've known on later models that water ingress in the egr electrics can reverse the polarity of the egr valve causing it to be open instead of shut and shut instead of open. Alot of garages diagnose this as injectors.
Knackered injectors can be diagnosed by taking the car on a long straight and booting it, if the light comes on and maybe lack of power then its usually injectors.
Old 22-08-2012, 07:45 AM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Last ne I had with a fault like that needed an injector coding session. Check leak off pipes too
Old 22-08-2012, 09:47 AM
monica
Virgin

forgot to add all leak off pipes were replaced with new ones, its so annoying , hoping with everything crossed that pump arrives today and it sorts the damn issues out, running out of hope of this car ever running right again !! not helped when a ford mechanic said you may never find the problem !!!! that was a real comfort !! after over a bill thats exceeded Ł1000 already ! if id have known initially it was going to go into this sort of money i wouldnt have got in so deep repairing a car that isnt worth whats been spent on it, but glad i came across this forum , you have all been a mind of information thanks x
Old 23-08-2012, 11:43 PM
monica
Virgin

Well the new pump was fitted today, still troubled with injector number one which was rechecked fine but injector guy did find a second washer that shouldnt have been on it ? possibly from when they were reconed, test will be this weekend fingers and everything else crossed ! certainly starting , sounding and driving much better no smoking on 6 miles home although suspect there was still a little surging at around 60mph but pulling out of it if i accelerated so ill see how it goes but if surging is still there would love some ideas as to what could be causing it ? thanks in advance xx
Old 29-08-2012, 09:29 PM
monica
Virgin

Well i had the new fuel pump fitted (ouch that hurt the pocket !!) car is now sounding,starting and driving nicely BUT still when driving and i get to around 2000 revs the car still feels like its pulling back a bit, if i accelerate it pulls straight out of it but drop back down it deffinatly pulls back ? anyone got any ideas ??? egr and fuel rail have been cleaned through, new fuel and air filter fitted, injectors reconed and retested fine, i am taking it to a mechanic friend in 3 weeks time when i am in their area who has a smoke machine ?? which apparently fills the engine with smoke and will detect any ill fitting or split pipes,if this shows nothing , what can i try next ?? someone said perhaps timing chain needs altering ? but others say it wouldnt just happen at just 2000 revs, so being a woman and not knowing the mechanics of cars, any help would be much appriciated x