General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Stig and the MK1

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Hansenturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zoso11 damn nice vids m8 got more ????
Old 21-12-2004, 02:53 PM
TimGR
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
Originally Posted by Phil
Originally Posted by TimGR
What's the point in pointing a Evo up against a group B car? Remember, the group B rally cars could keep up with the f1 cars of the day!

I think it was a fair comparison, but you have to wonder how well setup the cars were
Missed the program, pity. Modern WRC cars are now faster than the old Group B cars (they do not have the same bhp, but the brakes, suspension etc are far superior to the old Grp B cars).
I dont believe that for a minute. The RS200 lapped Estoril in 1986 in a time that would have placed it in the top 8 on the grid for that years F1 race.......
I thought it was the Lancia car that did this, not the RS200?
I stand corrected. It was Henri Toivonen in 1986 in a Lancia S4, and it would have been 6th on the grid.

Proves my point tho. A group B from 1986 would destroy an up to date roadgoing Evo, no two ways about it.
Matt, I agree that a Group B car would beat a road EVO, but not a modern WRC car. So far as I remember they don't use Formula 1 circuits on the WRC calendar. On the (few) stages which exist on the WRC rallies which were the same as used in the Group B days, the stage times of the WRC cars are faster than the Group B cars made. Not, as I mentioned because the cars have more bhp - they don't - they are just technically far more advanced, as are the tyres and brakes, then the Group B cars of 18 years ago.

Cheers.
Old 21-12-2004, 08:42 PM
zoso11
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Hansenturbo
zoso11 damn nice vids m8 got more ????
will see what i can do..

TimGR

Take your group B bashing sum place else lol.. We love our dangerous 80's supercars and refuse to accept anything would out do 1.. hehe
Old 22-12-2004, 09:54 AM
AndyNo1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Bollox I missed it
Old 22-12-2004, 10:10 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

What's the point in pointing a Evo up against a group B car? Remember, the group B rally cars could keep up with the f1 cars of the day!

I think it was a fair comparison, but you have to wonder how well setup the cars were
Missed the program, pity. Modern WRC cars are now faster than the old Group B cars (they do not have the same bhp, but the brakes, suspension etc are far superior to the old Grp B cars).
I dont believe that for a minute. The RS200 lapped Estoril in 1986 in a time that would have placed it in the top 8 on the grid for that years F1 race.......
I thought it was the Lancia car that did this, not the RS200?
I stand corrected. It was Henri Toivonen in 1986 in a Lancia S4, and it would have been 6th on the grid.

Proves my point tho. A group B from 1986 would destroy an up to date roadgoing Evo, no two ways about it.
Matt, I agree that a Group B car would beat a road EVO, but not a modern WRC car. So far as I remember they don't use Formula 1 circuits on the WRC calendar. On the (few) stages which exist on the WRC rallies which were the same as used in the Group B days, the stage times of the WRC cars are faster than the Group B cars made. Not, as I mentioned because the cars have more bhp - they don't - they are just technically far more advanced, as are the tyres and brakes, then the Group B cars of 18 years ago.

Cheers.
Why dont they use WRC cars at Pikes Peak then? Any why is the RS200 still very competitive against the far more modern machinery there?
Old 22-12-2004, 12:42 PM
TimGR
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by "zoso11 [b
TimGR[/b]

Take your group B bashing sum place else lol.. We love our dangerous 80's supercars and refuse to accept anything would out do 1.. hehe
I'm not bashing them. I thought they were great cars - more exciting than today's WRC cars. I'm just pointing out that nearly 20 years on, due to the technological advances, the current WRC cars are faster over the stages than the Group B cars were. (In answer to Matt's question below - Matt, I don't know why the WRC cars are not used on Pike's Peak - perhaps the rules don't allow them - why don't you find out rather than ask me? If you are referring to the fact that Audi and Peugeot used derivatites of their Grp B cars to trounce all the opsotion you wil find out that these cars were rather more developed than the Grp B rally cars. The point that WRC may or may not compete on Pikes Peak does not answer the point I had made thet the current WRC cars are faster over the stages. As to the RS200's I presume that you are referring to the rally cross cars like Pat Doran's which are not the same spec as the Grp B cars.

To prove I'm not against Grp B them here's some photos I took when they were around in action:

and:

and:

As I said, great cars.

Cheers
Old 22-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Mal@RsEngSpec
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Wow, cool pics TimGR, where were they taken - looks sunny, like Spain or Greece or Portugal?
Old 23-12-2004, 07:09 AM
TimGR
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Mal@RsEngSpec
Wow, cool pics TimGR, where were they taken - looks sunny, like Spain or Greece or Portugal?
'86 Acropolis.
Old 23-12-2004, 10:29 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any1 manage to capture the mk1 in mpeg or similar?
Old 24-12-2004, 04:09 PM
zoso11
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by "zoso11 [b
TimGR[/b]

I'm not bashing them. I thought they were great cars - more exciting than today's WRC cars. I'm just pointing out that nearly 20 years on, due to the technological advances, the current WRC cars are faster over the stages than the Group B cars were. (In answer to Matt's question below - Matt, I don't know why the WRC cars are not used on Pike's Peak - perhaps the rules don't allow them - why don't you find out rather than ask me? If you are referring to the fact that Audi and Peugeot used derivatites of their Grp B cars to trounce all the opsotion you wil find out that these cars were rather more developed than the Grp B rally cars. The point that WRC may or may not compete on Pikes Peak does not answer the point I had made thet the current WRC cars are faster over the stages. As to the RS200's I presume that you are referring to the rally cross cars like Pat Doran's which are not the same spec as the Grp B cars.

To prove I'm not against Grp B them here's some photos I took when they were around in action:

and:

and:

As I said, great cars.

Cheers
Lol.. its ok i was only messing.. im just being nieve and not accepting anyhtings better