General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

screeding a garage floor to make it level

Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 PM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screeding a garage floor to make it level

right last year i screeded the shed to make it level and it went well.... the floor is alot more level than it used to be but now i want to do half of the garage as half is shite and the other half is not too bad... problem being where i have my tool chest and racking is where its shite!

the size is 8ft x 8ft by 2.5" at the lowest bit and it slopes un evenly up to only about 5mm diff in height to the other slab in the garage.

what i was thinking of doing is making a V where it would join to improve the amount bonding together, would this help make sure it didnt break up at the join with the car going over it and jacks etc.

Also what would be the best mix to do this in a garage to just level the floor better, doesnt have to be perfect as the rest of it is quite rough and bumpy not perfectly smooth but just want it so i can have it bit easier to site my tool chest and racking and put stands down.

main reason im doing it is i have just changed the window to a bigger double glazed unit and that look million times better but cant leave my tool chest where it was as it was in the middle of the old window but it was that manky you couldnt see through it lol
Old 03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
xrsi

bump
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the same boat with regards to screeding. Self levelling compound is ok but it its 2.5" down its going to take you ages and £££ to get the rest up to a level height.

Best way is to get it screeded properly with a dry mix (think thats what its called). Mine is up to 3/4" in some places and been told that i need to go this route . Not mega money though so worth looking into.

Chris
Old 03-08-2009, 04:07 PM
xrsi

i did deeper than this in the shed in the one corner, think i mixed it up as just quite loose concrete without any gravel in it and smoothed it all off.

when i said 2.5" its not all 2.5" as its uneven and slopes slightly so prob about 2" max over entire 8ft length and getting shallower.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that the concrete will stand up to any use at all where it is only 5mm thick so you will have to do some digging before laying the new material in that area.

At the actual joint, I'm not sure I would even try to have them bond - maybe putting some flexible edge in as an expansion joint would be a good way to make a "feature" of the joint instead of trying to hide it.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
xrsi

anyone know for sure?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

does this help?? http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/floorscreeding.htm
Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 PM
sideways1

hi i do industrail flooring my self and have done for 20 years . if anyone would like me to do any work on there garage it would be my pleasure.or if u just need advice feel free to pm me.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:13 PM
xrsi

any advice on the above problem?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM
sideways1

Originally Posted by xrsi
any advice on the above problem?
call me so i can explain mate. its not to clear wot u have to much to take in . tell russ 07810891487
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
xrsi

basically i want to level an unlevel floor

the area is 8ft x 8ft.

max height diff is 2.5" (in a dip) but max nominal height diff is 2"max in nominal height diff is 5mm between levels.

what i want to do is level it to the currently heigher and flat slab, but doesnt have to be perfect.

was thinking about going to use a mix of something like 1 cement to 4 sand and mix it quite stiff and then float it so its as smooth as i can reasonably get it.

what i wanted to know also tho is where the 2 join would it be better cutting a V into both slabs so the bonding surface arear increases so that it wont crack under use and also will the above mix be suitable for axle stand use and also cars?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
sideways1

Originally Posted by xrsi
basically i want to level an unlevel floor

the area is 8ft x 8ft.

max height diff is 2.5" (in a dip) but max nominal height diff is 2"max in nominal height diff is 5mm between levels.

what i want to do is level it to the currently heigher and flat slab, but doesnt have to be perfect.

was thinking about going to use a mix of something like 1 cement to 4 sand and mix it quite stiff and then float it so its as smooth as i can reasonably get it.

what i wanted to know also tho is where the 2 join would it be better cutting a V into both slabs so the bonding surface arear increases so that it wont crack under use and also will the above mix be suitable for axle stand use and also cars?
wot u need to do is prep the floor first with a grinder . then prime . then do all your deep infill with a self leveler and kilm dry sand . then re prim and overlay at about 5 mm. where u have a joint u just need to cut the joint with a dimond grinder and then fill with joint mastic.u could then overlay it with an epoxy paint in u wont. hope this helps