General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

People taking the p*ss

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default People taking the p*ss

To start with, this isn't a for sale post.
I've had a car up for sale on another forum, and one bloke has taken the p*ss. Wanted me to knock the price right down, basically half what i wanted, because its going to cost him £200 to pick it up, because, in his words "cant afford to pay that much and pick it up, its not a cheap car then". Well, its not meant to be a cheap car, well it is and it isn't, its a project. I'm not saying i wont negotiate on price, cos i will, but there's haggling and there's taking the p*ss, and expecting to take it for half what i want, so i effectively subsidise his transport costs is taking the p*ss in my opinion.
Rant over.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 AM
gingerman
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lad came all the way from Ireland to view my car and offered my £200 less as he had to pay for his flight then all the petrol and ferry to which i said ill drop you off at the train station he soon payed up the rest lol
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
smila
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

a chap came from guernsey for my car he only asked me to knock £100 off for him
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a buyers market imo and i think he';s within his rights to try!

Lets you know how deseparate the seller is
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
CombatSapph
Regular Contributor

I turned up on the sellers doorstep and offered £1100 cash on a Y reg Scorp Cossie that was up for £1800. He refused so I said fair enough, there's another round the corner I quite fancy and started to walk away. Got to the end of the path before he called me back and said it was a deal

As said, buyers market - can't blame them for trying.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM
KregRS

Fair enough, but whenever i've bought a car, i've haggled, but not to the point of expecting the seller to pick up the tab for me taking it. I paid bout £500 to have a car transported from other end of the country, but i didnt turn round to the seller and expect him to knock it off the price. Sure i haggled over the price, but as i saw it, i wanted the car, it was going to cost me to get it down to me and that was a cost i had to bear. If i couldn't have afforded to do it i'd have had to walk away.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

lol you do get them,

I had a doctor come out to buy my Mercedes A210 Evolution a few year ago and it was up for £12100 and he said 'would you take £12k for it?'

He had'nt even been out in it.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant wait for Shings to see this thread

but as mentioned, anyone who pays the asking price in this market must be off their heads, I work in purchasing and it is actually a very normal thing to do, lots of techniques have been developed to do exactly this
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
KregRS

I'm not expecting to get the asking price, i expect to be knocked down.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Got to look at it from both sides I guess, that's the joys of selling stuff
1) You want to TRY and get a good deal aka haggle when you buy it

OR

2)You want to sell for as much as possible

But i do see your point if people can't come up with a better excuse about not affording the plane/train fare then they don't deserve money off, just look at the car a bit harder and your bound to think of something that the owner will agree needs sorted...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can knock a couple of hundred quid off, just by jacking the car up
Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM
pullo
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by kregrs
to start with, this isn't a for sale post.
I've had a car up for sale on another forum, and one bloke has taken the p*ss. Wanted me to knock the price right down, basically half what i wanted, because its going to cost him £200 to pick it up, because, in his words "cant afford to pay that much and pick it up, its not a cheap car then". Well, its not meant to be a cheap car, well it is and it isn't, its a project. I'm not saying i wont negotiate on price, cos i will, but there's haggling and there's taking the p*ss, and expecting to take it for half what i want, so i effectively subsidise his transport costs is taking the p*ss in my opinion.
Rant over.
your right mate, i get that happen to me all the fookn time.
They want the car for nowt these day's, boil's my piss, i just tell them to do one, don't care how far they have come. Stick to your gun's as they must want it if they have traveled far
to see it. Good luck with your sale. :dd:
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

You are always going to get knocked down - When I sold, I overpriced my car at £2k, but got the exact £1500 i wanted for it. Sometimes it works quite well
Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

I tend to price my car for exactly what I want, or at worst, about £500 over (were talking cars worth more than 10k).

I can't be bothered mucking about for a few hundred quid. You either want the car or u can bog off. I don't believe in majorly over pricing them, saves me trying to make out that I am taking the purchaser for a mug and saves them trying to beat my price down to make sure they feel good about themselves.

I also only sell cars that are ready to go. Fresh new tyres, perfectly clean, all properly serviced up etc. It saves the hassle for everyone. They turn up, look at it, no surprises, and they either want it or they don't and seeing it will not be the reason for not wanting it, as it will be exactly as I described it.

I appreciate that everyone is entitled to value a car at whatever they want. In the end, you either both come to a price that you want or you don't. The distance someone has travelled has got sweet fuck all to do with the price. My last car came from Nottingham and the one before was Preston, neither of the negotiations were based on distance travelled.

Look forward to seeing how I get on selling my M3 with this attitude. It will be priced appropriately as per the guide and has had countless cash thrown at it during my ownership. Maybe the market will be full of people who think they can get one cheaper, maybe some people want me to overprice it so they can "knock it down for a deal" Good luck to them

P.S. - this attitude has never helped me make a penny selling a car yet (don't want to anyway!) lol

Cheers and good luck.

RW

Last edited by Steven_RW; 06-05-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

IMO there should be NO negotiation for distance travelled. It doesnt affect the value or the car in any way
Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

it all comes down to how desperate you are to sell IMO

people will try it on

alot of male pride comes into it when selling cars, but it all swings and roundabouts, when you come to buy you'll want to knock him down too
Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by doctor stavros
IMO there should be NO negotiation for distance travelled. It doesnt affect the value or the car in any way
Very true

If I were you and you can afford to wait, then find another buyer who has the money you want.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
KregRS

I've hopefully now found a buyer, who's travelling a far distance to pick it up. If i wasn't losing my lock up, (or that should read lost my lock up, housing association now have the keys, long story) i would wait, but dont have time on my side.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
jaimesdna

if you dont ask you dont get
Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My car was up for 6.5 at the garage, I offered 6 which he refused straight away, after a lot of bartering he said the lowest he could let it go for is 6300, I was polite and firm and said all I am prepared to give you is 6.

I got up and left, got half way across the forecourt until he called me back to 'work something out', and I got the car for 6k!

Best time to buy a car from a dealership is within the last few days of the month when their sales figures are due!

Last edited by RichieST; 06-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.