General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sapph handling question..What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sapph handling question..What to do?

I'm after some opinions, i have a 2wd Sapph, currently on koni's and ahmed springs and a standard rear beam, i really like how the car rides with the current springs and shocks but want to make it handle better, i've got a brand new set of AVO coil overs to go on it but after reading peoples comments that they're horrible on the road, i'm wondering wether to sell them on and put the money towards an adjustable beam?

Or to save the extra for the beam AND put the coil overs on as well?

My car is purely a road car and i've got no intentions of tracking it, will the coil overs ruin the ride?

Any opinions welcome, thanks, Karl
Old 15-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stick with the koni's and ahmed springs.....what about frame connectors, might be the next option.
Old 15-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sapph1
I'm after some opinions, i have a 2wd Sapph, currently on koni's and ahmed springs and a standard rear beam, i really like how the car rides with the current springs and shocks but want to make it handle better,
Any opinions welcome, thanks, Karl

What are your current geometry settings Karl?

What tyres do you use?
Old 15-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rs1
I'd stick with the koni's and ahmed springs.....what about frame connectors, might be the next option.
Sorry if its a dumb question, but what are frame connectors?

Cheers, Karl
Old 15-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike1
What are your current geometry settings Karl?

What tyres do you use?
Tyres are godyear f1 215/40 17

Not sure on geometry settings, i was going to check them at work but i found some rot on osr chassis leg which has now been sorted, the beam is off at the moment, which is the reason for asking about adjustable beams.

Thanks, Karl

Last edited by Karl 3dr; 15-03-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will buy your konis and springs mate so I can get my coilovers off < Does this help Everyone has different opinions on coilovers,my car was a track car before I took ownership.On the road I no likey its just too hard.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rax2wdrax
I will buy your konis and springs mate so I can get my coilovers off < Does this help Everyone has different opinions on coilovers,my car was a track car before I took ownership.On the road I no likey its just too hard.
I know what you're saying mate

I've never been in a car with coil overs on so dont know what to expect from them but i really dont want to turn i into a bone shaker!! Used to love that sort of ride when i was 17 but not now, lol.

Cheers mate
Old 15-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I hear what your saying,I was always one for cutting a few coils off instead of buying a proper suspension kit I have tried mine on all settings,some roads are fine some I leave the seat ! ! It all depends on spring ratings too.Personally I cant be arsed with it,I would rather just bolt on and do a few tweaks and not lose any fillings lol.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:48 PM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Karl really loving your saph mate, looks really nice. Do you have any pics??
Old 15-03-2009, 10:50 PM
westus1

for a road car coilovers will ruin the ride
all my cossy's have always been lowered to death etc
but my current 1 is standard height on ahmed springs
and its honestly the nicest driver i've had
adj rear beam is a lot of money, and worth it if driven extremely hard or on track
but again if its purely a road car then i'd say avoid it
stick with the koni kit, and while the rear beams off maybe fit a set
of poly bushes, or idealy a solid mount kit
realy tightens up the rear end, it is a little harder at the rear that
standard rubber bushes, but nowhere near as bad as coilovers
and plenty good enough for a road car
Old 15-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Tyres are godyear f1 215/40 17

Not sure on geometry settings, i was going to check them at work but i found some rot on osr chassis leg which has now been sorted, the beam is off at the moment, which is the reason for asking about adjustable beams.

Thanks, Karl

If you want to go round corners faster, switch the F1s to Toyo 888s - that's a cheapish way of generating more mechanical grip.

If you want it to handle differently, I'd start looking into changing the geo by way adj TCAs, Gp A rear beam, shims etc

What don't you like about the handling?
Old 15-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike1
If you want to go round corners faster, switch the F1s to Toyo 888s - that's a cheapish way of generating more mechanical grip.

If you want it to handle differently, I'd start looking into changing the geo by way adj TCAs, Gp A rear beam, shims etc

What don't you like about the handling?
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated
Its hard to put my finger on but when pushing hard, especially on bumpy, twisty roads, it tends to understeer a lot and doesnt really give a lot of confidence, maybe down to the rot on the chassis leg, i wont know until its back together, i've got a set of polybushes to go on,
Its great in a straight line at about 400bhp but whats the point of loads of power if the chassis isnt up to it?
I was thinking of adjustable tca's etc as well, but was wondering, are the rear beams worth the money? Do they make that much difference?

Karl
Old 15-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mackers
Karl really loving your saph mate, looks really nice. Do you have any pics??
Sure do mate!!

Thanks for the comment btw!!

Old 15-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

What about trying the shims Mike R does? They are supposed to help a lot with giving your tyres a better contact area?
Old 15-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
What about trying the shims Mike R does? They are supposed to help a lot with giving your tyres a better contact area?
Another good idea, my head hurts!! lol
Old 15-03-2009, 11:43 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my sapphs a daily driver. but 4x4 T34.63-34 blah blah blah

but the Suspension specs below are perfect for me no complaints

Koni sport adjustable dampers all round.
Ahmed spec Leda springs all round.
Rear Hubs shimmed to correct inherent toe problems under power.
Front and rear alloy strut braces.
Poly bushes on all necessary parts such as TCA's, ARB's ETC.

She STILL drives like a new car.Apart from when bits fall off

Not bad for a 16 year old shonky ford
Old 15-03-2009, 11:44 PM
ConnollyGT30
Regular Contributor

Sure do mate!!

Thanks for the comment btw!!

Totally stunning
Old 15-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by avid-fan
my sapphs a daily driver. but 4x4 T34.63-34 blah blah blah

but the Suspension specs below are perfect for me no complaints

Koni sport adjustable dampers all round.
Ahmed spec Leda springs all round.
Rear Hubs shimmed to correct inherent toe problems under power.
Front and rear alloy strut braces.
Poly bushes on all necessary parts such as TCA's, ARB's ETC.

She STILL drives like a new car.Apart from when bits fall off

Not bad for a 16 year old shonky ford
Dont get me wrong, mine rides really well and i really enjoy driving it, i just wish it was a little sharper in the bends,

Originally Posted by ConnollyGT30
Totally stunning
Thanks mate!!
Old 16-03-2009, 12:00 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best way to go for road is adj rear beam, koni's and ahmed springs ! IMO

quite popular with the road cars we have done and everyone has seemed very happy
Old 16-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Forgot to say,my old tub is poly bushed all round and strut braced front and back,its taking its toll on my strutt tops now though .Its standard ride height and I have done a pic but cant get it to upload from the cam.Try sort tomoz
Old 16-03-2009, 12:56 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do the rear beam, everything else you do will just be masking the underlying problem of crap geometry.
Old 16-03-2009, 07:06 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
Best Ł10 i ever spent on my car

Steve
Old 16-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated
Its hard to put my finger on but when pushing hard, especially on bumpy, twisty roads, it tends to understeer a lot and doesnt really give a lot of confidence, maybe down to the rot on the chassis leg, i wont know until its back together, i've got a set of polybushes to go on,
Its great in a straight line at about 400bhp but whats the point of loads of power if the chassis isnt up to it?
I was thinking of adjustable tca's etc as well, but was wondering, are the rear beams worth the money? Do they make that much difference?

Karl
From what i remember reading Mike R's article on his R&B website, a lot of the understeer is down to the rear suspension geometry changing over bumps and promoting "front-end push".
The adj. beam and shims are supposed to help a lot with this trait

Also the Sapphire had different front end set-up to the 3-door to make it less "wriggly" over bumps and have better high speed front end stability in a straight line ( was done for the executive buyers of the time so it would compete with sporty BMWs/Mercs ). You can switch back to the 3-door front end set-up to make it more responsive on turn in.

I think even the 3-door set-up itself was toned down after the car launch as many journalists on the launch complained the car was too sensitive

Originally Posted by 80's Mag article
two steering changes which Ford SVE made in the light of Spanish launch criticisms: first they replaced the inner TCA (Track Control Arm) joints with rubber instead of plastic , and secondly they worked with TRW Cam Gears to remove the rack-and-pinion’s sensitivity around the dead-ahead position
Old 16-03-2009, 08:50 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The only "reading" you need to do is how ford were utter cheapskates and produced a shit car in the cossie suspension dept, the engine was a bit better, but later ones better still.
This is what happens from using parts bin stuff.
The major problem with the car is the rear end, the beam might as well be mounted on mounts made of jelly, it is a serious joke.
The fact that it is semi trailing of course means camber change with movement, though they can be made to handle really well.
They need decent beam mounts and especially a diff mount, this makes a world of difference on it's own.
The adjustable beams are imo a rip off for what they are, I use coilovers on the road, but have used ahmed/koni/billies/spax/chassisdynamics/bilstein in the past.
I would say for most people for the road the KONI/Chassis Dynamics set up was best, but I prefer coilovers so you can set rate at what you want so easy, I mean you don't even need to take front strut off car to change the spring on coilover.
How well you want it to handlke depends how much you are prepared to pay.
Polys all round helps enormously, as do decent tyres I wouldn't have F1 on a wheelbarrow myself, they are far better tyres.
tabetha
Old 16-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
The only "reading" you need to do is how ford were utter cheapskates and produced a shit car in the cossie suspension dept, the engine was a bit better, but later ones better still.
The major problem with the car is the rear end, the beam might as well be mounted on mounts made of jelly, it is a serious joke.
The fact that it is semi trailing of course means camber change with movement, though they can be made to handle really well.
They need decent beam mounts and especially a diff mount, this makes a world of difference on it's own.
The adjustable beams are imo a rip off for what they are, I use coilovers on the road, but have used ahmed/koni/billies/spax/chassisdynamics/bilstein in the past.
I would say for most people for the road the KONI/Chassis Dynamics set up was best, but I prefer coilovers so you can set rate at what you want so easy, I mean you don't even need to take front strut off car to change the spring on coilover.
Polys all round helps enormously, as do decent tyres I wouldn't have F1 on a wheelbarrow myself, they are far better tyres.
tabetha

Yep,

I'll be going for Gaz coilovers as well, I had Goodyear F1s on my last car and would rate them as follows,

Dry - 6/10
Wet 9/10
Snow 0/10 (might as well have ice skates on)

Nice looking tyre though.
Old 16-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money and put it towards a rear beam. The understeer you are getting is being caused by the standard one, so no matter what you do, unless you change the rear beam, the car will ALWAYS understeer.
Old 16-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok, thanks for the replies guys
Old 16-03-2009, 01:24 PM
alanfordtw-15
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

coilovers will be too hard for the road for a person concerned with making the car too harsh. they ARE hard and only people who dont care about a hard ride will cope with them. (like me!) the rear beams on a cossie are badly designed from the start as when the suspension is moving up and down the angle of the tyre contact patch is always changing because the swing arms are not on a straight and horizontal pivot line.
hence when you see saphs,escos' ect. lauching hard the wheels tuck in on top.

from looking at them it seems the adj. rear beams help you make the pivot line a lot straighter helping the contact patch stay the same on full suspension travel.
could anyone correct me/add to that?
Old 16-03-2009, 03:06 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
tabetha
Serious Question, why do you think they are a rip off? there is a LOT of work to convert a beam and arms to a 6 degree item, and 4 lots of eye ends and adjusters etc.... fairly labour intensive item to make, can't see there being a huge amount of profit in there?
Old 16-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by alanfordtw-15
coilovers will be too hard for the road for a person concerned with making the car too harsh. they ARE hard and only people who dont care about a hard ride will cope with them. (like me!) the rear beams on a cossie are badly designed from the start as when the suspension is moving up and down the angle of the tyre contact patch is always changing because the swing arms are not on a straight and horizontal pivot line.
hence when you see saphs,escos' ect. lauching hard the wheels tuck in on top.

from looking at them it seems the adj. rear beams help you make the pivot line a lot straighter helping the contact patch stay the same on full suspension travel.
could anyone correct me/add to that?
Perfectly summarised .

In the same way that Honda has it's VTEC variable valve timing - Ford has it's own version for the rear geomtery .
Old 16-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Serious Question, why do you think they are a rip off? there is a LOT of work to convert a beam and arms to a 6 degree item, and 4 lots of eye ends and adjusters etc.... fairly labour intensive item to make, can't see there being a huge amount of profit in there?
I suspect for the following reasons:
1. It is too much to justify on his own Ł3k Sapphire.
2. He has never driven a Sierra with one fitted.
3. He like's understeer .
Old 16-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

solid mount the rear beam and fit an escos rear anti roll bar
Old 16-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Mike Kerbey

What about playing with tyre pressures? I have found it makes a difference, and its free too!
Old 16-03-2009, 03:29 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

As has been said before, EVERYTHING you do without getting a decent rear beam simply masks the problem, and won't cure the crux of the issue of understeer/snap oversteer due to the appalling rear end geometry..... Yes the rear beam is expensive, but without it everything else is wasted IMHO.
Old 16-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
As has been said before, EVERYTHING you do without getting a decent rear beam simply masks the problem, and won't cure the crux of the issue of understeer/snap oversteer due to the appalling rear end geometry..... Yes the rear beam is expensive, but without it everything else is wasted IMHO.
+1
Old 16-03-2009, 06:30 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So which rear beam is best to use on a road car that will possibly see the odd track day?

I have never suffered much understeer in any of my sapphs, I must not push it hard enough, just the odd little bit of wash out now and again. I have never had the confidence in the suspension on any of them to go and throw them into a bend like I do in a fwd car. On the odd occasion I have, the front end slid a bit then the back end tried to snap round too, which is not fun. I have had standard, full Koni and currently Bilstien. The one in my resto thread has Koni up front and 909 Bilstien coilovers on the rear and I have only drove that for a week but remember it as being very responsive and just stuck on the bends. The back end was so predictable if it did step out too, not snappy.

I love playing on the twisties so Id love to know ways to make my Sapph handle better. Straight lines are boring.
Old 16-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Captain500rs

4wd lol
Old 16-03-2009, 06:40 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont be silly Karl. thats just

Old 16-03-2009, 06:42 PM
RS Juto

Karl, Get Mick to have look mate when its done. He's done wonders with Derek's 500 and with 520 bhp it still gos around bends
Old 16-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BigErn
Dont be silly Karl. thats just

Didnt want to say it but yeah, i agree!! lol

Originally Posted by cossie1000
Karl, Get Mick to have look mate when its done. He's done wonders with Derek's 500 and with 520 bhp it still gos around bends
Yeah, spoke to him him a while ago, he had a lot of good ideas, he reckoned the beam was a good idea as well though.
Dont really want to have my standard beam powdercoated, put it on and then have to take back off again to have it modded, i'd rather just bite the bullet and get it done.

Was thinking of a stage 2 beam but would a stage 1 be ok for the road?

Quick Reply: Sapph handling question..What to do?