General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying / Selling an aftermarket ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Buying / Selling an aftermarket ECU

Just a quick post really with a bit of advice that I myself of course made the mistake of not following even though its something I always say to others

If you are buying or selling an ECU, then make sure that the ECU is not password protected.

Ive just made up a loom for my nova to install RapidCossie's SM4 on it that I bought from him, only to find that AVA have password protected the map, which means I cant even upload my own basemap that I have written, effectively rendering the ECU potentially useless.

Now in this case, thankfully there are a couple of options.

Ive contacted RapidCossie and he is going to ask AVA for the password, which hopefully they will give me so I can wipe the map (ive no interest in using it as it would be completely useless for my nova engine and Ive already written a good basemap for it based on my experience of mapping similar engines to my nova one anyway)
If RapidCossie wasnt so approachable, or was some random off ebay or whatever, I wouldnt have this avenue open to me, so that might be a situation you end up in if you buy from someone less helpful.

Ive contacted Mark Shead, and if AVA are unprepared to release the password on their map, then he can access the ECU for me to install a blank map, although this means a 300mile+ round trip for me tomorrow morning for him to do so.
If Mark didnt know I had bought the ecu legally secondhand etc though, potentially this wouldnt be an option either as many manufacturers and distributors will only unlock an ECU if presented with the original receipt.

So just posting this as a quick word of warning, as obviously if people are spending a grand or so on an ECU, its useful if they can use it for something other than a paperweight and that is a situation that many people have ended up in with similar stories.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought i heard euan saying he had to drop by ava for alan to wipe the ecu. hope you get it sorted mate but everything is a secret they may tell you but have to kill you

Last edited by carlo; 09-01-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by carlo
I thought i head euan saying he had to drop by ava for alan to wipe the ecu. hope you get it sorted mate but everything is a secret they may tell you but have to kill you
Annoyingly, even though the ONLY reason I want the password is to wipe the ECU, I would imagine with it being AVA (the kings of secrecy where its not even needed ) that I wont get it and will have to drive 300+ miles round trip to mark tomorrow to have it removed instead.

Im not blaming Euan, I didnt check it was wiped when I bought it so Im partially to blame as I just assumed that as it was a professional company he was dealing with for it, that they would have made him well aware that it needed wiping first, and apparently he was unaware it had been left with a password on too anyway as Ive spoken to him since, he was under the impression they left it unlocked for me.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice chip

The 3 ecu's I designed had password protection against reading maps but anyone could overwrite them which to me is the sensible thing to do.

Everyone is worried about security these days..LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by L8 ECU
Good advice chip

The 3 ecu's I designed had password protection against reading maps but anyone could overwrite them which to me is the sensible thing to do.

Everyone is worried about security these days..LOL

Agreed, I totally understand why ecu's need a password, if only so that a customer bringing a car back under warranty can be proven to have not messed with the map themselves if it melts due to a mapping issue etc, but I dont see why all manufacturers dont follow your lead and allow you to start from scratch without the password.

Some say its an antitheft feature, but if that is the case, why not have two passwords, one for locking the code and one for preventing new code from being written, as then at least tuners would have a choice of doing the responsible thing and give the user the password so that although he cant access their code, he can at least use the ECU that he has paid in full for!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

The anti theft aspect never crossed my mind - Good idea if the owner gets the password !

Oh well, I am sure you will get it sorted one way or the other,
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Chip

The anti theft aspect never crossed my mind - Good idea if the owner gets the password !

Oh well, I am sure you will get it sorted one way or the other,
Im expecting to have to drive to Mark's tomorrow, not the end of the world, but certainly an inconvenience, but who knows maybe AVA will come up trumps for me, I know I certainly would if it was the other way around as its only fair given that they KNOW that I havent stolen the ecu etc as Euan can prove that.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Chip,
Tuners guard their secrets very well, if you find out anything, they will kill you
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Chip,
Tuners guard their secrets very well, if you find out anything, they will kill you

my ECU is locked
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Dave, I am sure it is, have you tried 1234
Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Im expecting to have to drive to Mark's tomorrow, not the end of the world, but certainly an inconvenience, but who knows maybe AVA will come up trumps for me, I know I certainly would if it was the other way around as its only fair given that they KNOW that I havent stolen the ecu etc as Euan can prove that.
You will be even more frustrated when it takes 2mins to wipe it an your driving takes 4 hours in total.

Mark
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
You will be even more frustrated when it takes 2mins to wipe it an your driving takes 4 hours in total.

Mark
Doubly frustrated when you dont make him a brew either
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Mark,

Surely as chip is a trusted "mad employee" now couldnt you just email him the information/program to do the job.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you not just get the ECU couriered to them or do u definately need to use it at the weekend?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Personally I would want Euan to pay for the fuel of going to Mark's.

Benni.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Its not really euans fault im pretty sure if he knew this he would have been sorted before chip got it
Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it common practise for tuners to encode an ecu?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Im going to Marks on Sat anything l can help with or are you back home chip?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mar_k
is it common practise for tuners to encode an ecu?
Yes

Mark
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it's to stop it from falling into terrorists hands, don't you keep up to date with the news you guys

but getting back to the subject at hand, if you buy an ecu, shoudl you have it set up for your car in any case?

i'm sure that, even if you buy an engine with the ecu, something will have changed on removal/refitting to warrant some sort of map fiddling so who does the onus lie with to get the ecu unlocked?

the seller before selling it i would assume, otherwise you are at the mercy of the password writer who may want more money for the priveliege of removing it
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i live 5 minutes from marks chip, so if you do travel up then give me a shout and drop by for a cuppa and a comfort break if you want
Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very good point Chip i best ask about my ecu when i eventualy get round to going for my mapping disk and lead.