General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what aftermarket management do people run on their cossies?

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry yeah including 0.

as we know t6 is very usual stu, but you still aint using 80% of its functions, best buy some more toys to use all of them.

Lucky for you, you got it nice and cheap
Old 22-10-2008, 07:44 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
The point I am trying to make is unless your building a race or rally car for proper compition there is no need for a T6
which im not, its only for a bit of fun.

Originally Posted by DazC
T6 can be had for not much these days too. I sold mine for £800. T6 2000 will be a little more expensive.

Cheaper ECU's are cheap for a reason. They have less development put into them. Although they have plenty of features, how well do they do it and how accurately can they do it and what engine protection measures do they have to make sure you don't cook your engine and turbo.
i know cheaper ecu's wont be as good as say t6 or autronics or as dear
but what i want to know is are they better than 20 year old ford management.

this is what ive been looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMEX-600-compe...d=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DTA-S40-PRO-co...QQcmdZViewItem

they both do 99% of what i want from an ecu at an ok price
Old 22-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by stu21t
which im not, its only for a bit of fun.

i know cheaper ecu's wont be as good as say t6 or autronics or as dear
but what i want to know is are they better than 20 year old ford management.

this is what ive been looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMEX-600-compe...d=p3286.c0.m14

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DTA-S40-PRO-co...QQcmdZViewItem

they both do 99% of what i want from an ecu at an ok price
just because a ecu is expensive dosent necessary make it better as ryan has said t6 is never used to full use so realisticly a waste of money , the big picture is actually finding someone to map a ecu correctly as imo there isnt a bad so called cheap ecu on the market today just need to find some one that can exploit the best from it
Old 22-10-2008, 08:02 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that was part of the origional post,
ive only seen the big boys play with expensive ecus, lol
dont know any1 running or offer mapping of omex or dta, ( i know you do but any1 else?)
Old 22-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

think theres a place called track and race who are spose to be good with dta think there in london but if you have a trailor stu then go to the sorce for a map dta/emerald own the there own rollers to do customers cars , mr shead seems ur obvious choice for 750+vodka build a loom for it then take it back for mapping
Old 22-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polly_x
Its four! 0, 1, 2 and 3

.......and you can map gear position to any of those 4 points for gear specific boost control.
Correct, that's what I have mine set to .

I think if you add all the listed features posted by the different people, T6 is considerably more powerful / has more features than the majority of ECUs listed.

Stu,
You forgot NITROS control .
Old 22-10-2008, 09:57 PM
polly_x

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

Stu,
You forgot NITROS control .
Mmmm, does it do that? Cant remember seeing that in the menus anywhere, but I guess its called something else?
Old 23-10-2008, 06:39 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Emerald do throttle angle boost control with rpm, don't know about others.
I chose this sytem as it is easy to use, if I can do it anyone can, but as for mapping I leave it to the people WHO DESIGNED IT AND WHO BUILD IT, ie Emerald 01953 889110.
This can do over 20+ different trigger patterns, tripple maps, mapping cost FOR THREE MAPS IS £275, not £500 for one map as some charge.
Does egt,(already has vag software), runs lambda or not as you wish, individual cylinder trims for ignition and fuelling with positive or negative gains, closed loop on egt if you wish,for boost and fuelling.
System has been becnh tested to 44,000 rpm before it started to lose accuracy.
The speed site are to 15,500 rpm but as Emerald are emerald they listened to comments the ecu now allows you to move the speed site anywhere you like, so it has greater control and the resolution is down to 1(one) RPM.
You can space them anywhere you like even or uneven and all speed related events.
Same story with load sites to 1 % resoution.
Reads from map only airflow metre only or throttle angle only or a mix of these.
Controls VVT VVC MEVIC etc etc.
It also has a ability to change the values of sensors calibration, so that you can use pretty much any sensor so long as it fits, good for the future as cossie parts are harder to get hold of, ECT for instance can be done with kettle and ice, and it worsk the rest out.
Injectors can be calibrated for changing voltage supply.
The ecu operates stds coil coilpack, plug on coil, batch fired, semi sequential or fully sequential, dizzy or dizzy less, the best bit is yet to come.
When you phone the number or look on the website you get support from the very people who know the system better than anybody else, as they are emerald, not made in another country and have to speak through 2 or 3 people to get something.
If you want an emerald get on the list as waiting list is operating due to sales, based in Norfolk despite waht people say can map up to 700bhp@wheels, 2wd or 4wd, or even 1WD!!
Emeralds motorbike a Norton is going on the system, soon
Air conditioing control, fuel pump realy control TWO stage cooling fan control, or just use the 1 whichever, programmable tacho driver, can drive any tacho(electric), and can CALIBRATE tacho in the ecu software if it is innacurate, shift light, boost control, variable can control, cam switching, stepper motor or solenoid idle control valves, CAN data link to didgital dashboards, user programmable oputputs, 5 and 8 volt sesnor supplies.
Got a track car ? don't buy TWO ecu's have one map for your car one for the track car, and up to you what you do with the other ?
Does FULL THROTTLE GEAR SHIFT, in gear adjustable boost, oil/aux temperature, launch enable, does inductive or digital sensors for crank/dizzy.
Need more www.emeraldm3d.com,
Has been used to map all manner of engines including a 27,000 CC rolls royce merlin engine on throttle bodies, in a rover sd1, even modded to work a 5 cylinder audi quattro, Karl's own car(karl= 1/2 of emerald), as well as will holmans car, editor of PPC, who dave writes a feature for.
tabetha
Old 23-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

For me it's about transient control.
Old 23-10-2008, 07:59 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick
For me it's about transient control.
... the undocumented feature that defines the men from the boys in the ecu world. Spec lists mean very little, but this, this is god.
Old 23-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
... the undocumented feature that defines the men from the boys in the ecu world. Spec lists mean very little, but this, this is god.
So given that, and your superior knowledge of the aforementioned ECUs, which in your opinion has good transient control of the fuel and which don't?
Old 23-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Agreed.
Old 23-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tabetha
I chose this sytem as it is easy to use, if I can do it anyone can, but as for mapping I leave it to the people WHO DESIGNED IT AND WHO BUILD IT, ie Emerald 01953 889110.
This can do over 20+ different trigger patterns, tripple maps, mapping cost FOR THREE MAPS IS £275, not £500 for one map as some charge.
Does egt,(already has vag software), runs lambda or not as you wish, individual cylinder trims for ignition and fuelling with positive or negative gains, closed loop on egt if you wish,for boost and fuelling.
The speed site are to 15,500 rpm but as Emerald are emerald they listened to comments the ecu now allows you to move the speed site anywhere you like, so it has greater control and the resolution is down to 1(one) RPM.
You can space them anywhere you like even or uneven and all speed related events.
Reads from map only airflow metre only or throttle angle only or a mix of these.
It also has a ability to change the values of sensors calibration, so that you can use pretty much any sensor so long as it fits, good for the future as cossie parts are harder to get hold of, ECT for instance can be done with kettle and ice, and it worsk the rest out.
The ecu operates stds coil coilpack, plug on coil, batch fired, semi sequential or fully sequential, dizzy or dizzy less, the best bit is yet to come.
When you phone the number or look on the website you get support from the very people who know the system better than anybody else, as they are emerald, not made in another country and have to speak through 2 or 3 people to get something.
If you want an emerald get on the list as waiting list is operating due to sales, based in Norfolk despite waht people say can map up to 700bhp@wheels, 2wd or 4wd, or even 1WD!!
Air conditioing control, fuel pump realy control TWO stage cooling fan control, or just use the 1 whichever, programmable tacho driver, can drive any tacho(electric), and can CALIBRATE tacho in the ecu software if it is innacurate, shift light, boost control, variable can control, cam switching, stepper motor or solenoid idle control valves, CAN data link to didgital dashboards, user programmable oputputs, 5 and 8 volt sesnor supplies.
Got a track car ? don't buy TWO ecu's have one map for your car one for the track car, and up to you what you do with the other ?
Does FULL THROTTLE GEAR SHIFT, in gear adjustable boost, oil/aux temperature, launch enable, does inductive or digital sensors for crank/dizzy.
Has been used to map all manner of engines including a 27,000 CC rolls royce merlin engine on throttle bodies, in a rover sd1, even modded to work a 5 cylinder audi quattro, Karl's own car(karl= 1/2 of emerald), as well as will holmans car, editor of PPC, who dave writes a feature for.
tabetha
Any transient fuel and spark control specs as i cant find any?
Old 23-10-2008, 08:59 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

So given that, and your superior knowledge of the aforementioned ECUs, which in your opinion has good transient control of the fuel and which don't?
The best i've seen is Pectel, but i'm sure the likes of Motec are pretty good too. I've not mapped Emerald, DTA, Gems, AEM, Omex, or much of those (but have seen how awful they are) - most of the stuff i've done is OEM EPROM hacking and MS.
Old 23-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I thought you would say that .
Old 23-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Kelv
Almost there!

im on T6, or will be when its mapped
Old 23-10-2008, 10:35 AM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
tabetha
but can't properly run low imp injectors!
Old 23-10-2008, 10:43 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Any transient fuel and spark control specs as i cant find any?

Its gone awfully quiet hasnt it????
Old 23-10-2008, 10:49 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Its gone awfully quiet hasnt it????
In all fairness though, I don't know of many ECU's that do detail anything on their internal control strategies. The only true way to know which is the best is to do extensive dyno/competition testing and analyse the results.
Old 23-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Vic
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

what's Autronics???

www.autronics.com - you guys must have some serious aircraft!
Old 23-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

In all fairness though, I don't know of many ECU's that do detail anything on their internal control strategies. The only true way to know which is the best is to do extensive dyno/competition testing and analyse the results.
It should be adjustable mate and therefore it should be detailed in the software. We ideally need things such as both positive and negative acceleration Gain, decay and Clamp as well as min and max switches for TFC and various time based transient controls.

Thats just fuel, we want it for spark too but its FAR less critical.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive got a WOLf V4 kicking about that I bought ages ago and have never got round to using.

Thats got a lot of screens dedicated to transient fuelling, enrichment rates, decay rates etc, I was quite impressed by how much so.

Autronic also is pretty well configurable in this respect.

Emerald seems to be one of the worst TBH, IIRC its got some basic accel enrichment and utterly nothing for decelleration at all.
Old 23-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

agreed emerald is the worst on transient fuel and spark control dta have really upped there game as far as throttle transients and warm up hot and deceleration control ,omex still seem pretty basic and as far as the new one im trying atm well i need to pull my finger out and fit it
Old 23-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Chip

Thats weird Tabetha is online replying in other posts, but seems to have missed this one.

Up for tabby
Old 23-10-2008, 01:56 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It should be adjustable mate and therefore it should be detailed in the software. We ideally need things such as both positive and negative acceleration Gain, decay and Clamp as well as min and max switches for TFC and various time based transient controls.

Thats just fuel, we want it for spark too but its FAR less critical.

havent you just discribed the TFC sub tables on a T6 LOL LOL

TFC is the thing that took me the longest to get right!
Old 23-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by GARETH T
havent you just discribed the TFC sub tables on a T6 LOL LOL

TFC is the thing that took me the longest to get right!
T6 is very good actually, possibly the best I've ever used out of all the aftermarket systems. OE is usually twice as good again, but you cant normally find out where its switch points are. LOL

You chaps would love to see the maps and switch points in a modern ECU just to give you some idea how far behind the aftermarket is.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Chip

T6 is very good actually, possibly the best I've ever used out of all the aftermarket systems. OE is usually twice as good again, but you cant normally find out where its switch points are. LOL

You chaps would love to see the maps and switch points in a modern ECU just to give you some idea how far behind the aftermarket is.

ALL the aftermarket ones are about late 80s or so in terms of sophistication when compared to OE ECU's IMHO

However, much of the more modern stuff that gets done, is of little interest to people who's primary focus is performance.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:05 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

whats the most complex OE ecu you worked on stu? whats the E60 M5 like? i wanna play LOL
Old 23-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

whats the most complex OE ecu you worked on stu? whats the E60 M5 like? i wanna play LOL
Id say EDC17 is looking the most impressive to date, but then it would be, but we have done quite a lot with EDC 16 and 16+ and find that particularly impressive too.

A Modern Bosch ECU will have no less than 10'000 switches and maps in total. EDC17 is looking like 16'000, although we havent decompiled it all yet, its proving to be a MAMMOTH task!
Old 23-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Missed this question, Sorry.

whats the E60 M5 like? i wanna play LOL
Totally different system actually. They use the Siemens MSS 65VDO 5WK9 range. Google it mate, see if you can dig anything up. Serious systems.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:13 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

i dont even know what EDC17 is (red face)
Old 23-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Stu,
Is there no OEM ECU that you have sufficiently hacked that is common and cheap enough to use as an aftermarket one for muchos cheapness that has all the features most people want, or is this the reason sticking with the Webber IAW?

I know someone that started to do this the the EEC ECUs, but he's too lazy to finish it (same as his engine monitors) .
Old 23-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Chip

Stu,
Is there no OEM ECU that you have sufficiently hacked that is common and cheap enough to use as an aftermarket one for muchos cheapness that has all the features most people want, or is this the reason sticking with the Webber IAW?

I know someone that started to do this the the EEC ECUs, but he's too lazy to finish it (same as his engine monitors) .
RP Labs have done this, they are available from RB Motorsport, prices are on their website.

Largely pointless though, as the problem with doing so is you have to author your own mapping software if you want to sell it as aftermarket as it has to be user friendly.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:24 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by Chip
RP Labs have done this, they are available from RB Motorsport, prices are on their website.
lol
Old 23-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ALL the aftermarket ones are about late 80s or so in terms of sophistication when compared to OE ECU's IMHO

However, much of the more modern stuff that gets done, is of little interest to people who's primary focus is performance.
There are features of top level aftermarket ECU's that cannot be found on OEM too, like 8 separate knock controls with their own sensors as used by F1 engines.

A collegue of mine who has Phd in automotive engineering had a meet with someone from F1 team once which was organised by the university and they were talking about many things scientific, but later also about my collegues project car and the F1 guys asked at some point:
"-wow, this is quite a nice project but how did you fit those 6 knock-sensors to a road car
-I didn't, in fact it has none
-what?"

I don't think any OEM system runs turbocharger rpm monitoring...

Anyway as Chip pointed out - corrections for injector wear and like are hardly useful on engines with lifespan of less then several hundred working hours.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Rich, stop doing that .

I was thinking of something more modern and readily available (as in made in the tens of thousands ). As in the ECUs can be bought for £20 and the mapping software for £100 and then all you would need is a loom made up .
Old 23-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike it would have to be able to run the hardware that is in the car as well.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:34 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Mike,

it was amusing though
Old 23-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Chip

Rich, stop doing that .

I was thinking of something more modern and readily available (as in made in the tens of thousands ). As in the ECUs can be bought for £20 and the mapping software for £100 and then all you would need is a loom made up .
The problem with doing so, is each model of car you replaced the loom onto would need a specific loom making, it would have to interface to not only the existing car's engine sensors but also the dash too, and on most modern cars an imobiliser as well.

And at the end of it what have you gained? An ECU that you have no basemap for to run that engine, where as the one you removed was:
Cost: 0
Loom: 0
Instalation time : 0
Basemap : Exceptionally good, totally complete
Immobiliser : Fully compatable
Dash : Fully compatable

It would just be expensive and time consuming.
Old 23-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It would just be expensive and time consuming.
And you would end up in fail safe mode anyway because of some obscure fail safe control in the OEM ECU that won't ever activate on right car and will on the one you installed it in.....

Quick Reply: what aftermarket management do people run on their cossies?