General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how can you tell if a MGF is a VVC or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 17-07-2008, 06:13 PM
woodz77
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can you tell if a MGF is a VVC or not ??

mates bought one the other day to sell and cant tell if its a VVC one or normal one ??

it doesnt say on the logbook and he cant really get to the engine to easy ?

is there any tell tale signs ??

i always thought if it had the third brakelight fitted in the boot lid it meant it was ??

any other ways ??
Old 17-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

He's bought a car and can't get to the engine easily?

You sure you're not just checking up on him to see if it's the grown-up gay's version as opposed to the little boy gay's version?

The stop light you mentioned wasn't standard on VVCs until 1997. In standard trim the VVC should have [over the boggo 1.8] ABS, a stitched leather steering wheel and PAS as standard from launch [wasn't standard on the 1.8 until end of 97].

If he can check the steering wheel, or see the stop light, he can pop the engine cover and get the definitive answer!
Old 17-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

One simple way to tell... It will have a HCU fitted to the head, here's a picture..

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 17-07-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 17-07-2008, 06:35 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ask the garage when they are fixing the headgasket
Old 17-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Paddy
Legend

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
ask the garage when they are fixing the headgasket

Or ask the previous owner when accelerating hard it, how tingly it made his boyfriends tummy.
Old 17-07-2008, 06:40 PM
woodz77
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lovely i will tell him . we both know its a gay car , and the head gasket will probably go if he does more than 50 miles in it , but its a 1 owner car , 50,000 miles in dark grey R reg , mint , he give 1400 for it ??
Old 17-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Crowder
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

shittest car ive ever been involved with or driven. mrs had one against my best wishes. proper shite in ever way
Old 17-07-2008, 06:43 PM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

the inlet is different on the vvc also!

as fgor not being able to get to the engine easily... can he not work out how to get to it or something? if thats the case has he not found the crappy boot either?
Old 17-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by xrsi
the inlet is different on the vvc also!
Not always the case! Some non VVC's came from the factory with the alloy manifold, plus it's super easy to bolt one on anyway so that's not a good way to check it's a VVC is it?
Old 17-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Paddy
Legend

Originally Posted by woodz77
lovely i will tell him . we both know its a gay car , and the head gasket will probably go if he does more than 50 miles in it , but its a 1 owner car , 50,000 miles in dark grey R reg , mint , he give 1400 for it ??
If the question mark was to ask if he got a good deal, then unless he has to do work on it, he should get a profit!?

I just retailed an X plate vvc, 2 owners, 67k miles for Ł2700 and to be honest I was glad to see the back of it. It had receipts for a HG about 6 months ago [the only reason I took it in p/x!] and the buyer obviously got a proper warranty.

You'd think the VVC would be the best one to have but the amount of people put off by the extra output of the engine became annoying as we can normally shift the normal ones pretty easily even though they're total and utter shit!

Not a fan of them at all or the people that buy them as contrary to popular belief, they now seem to be bought by people that would do better investing the money in a stannah stairlift.
Old 17-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paddy
they now seem to be bought by people that would do better investing the money in a stannah stairlift.
old, or their arsehole is now so destroyed and prolapsed hey cannot climb stairs properly anymore without a pooey cum mix dripping all over the shagpile?
Old 17-07-2008, 07:03 PM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Not always the case! Some non VVC's came from the factory with the alloy manifold, plus it's super easy to bolt one on anyway so that's not a good way to check it's a VVC is it?
yeah its easy to swap but if the one owner didnt look like he was that way inclined with a spanner then it would be a simple check, did the ones that left the factory with the vvc inlets also come with the black ones with the VVC on them???? as that would be false advertising and could be liable! not that it would do you any good now!
Old 17-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Paddy
Legend

Originally Posted by Stavros
old, or their arsehole is now so destroyed and prolapsed hey cannot climb stairs properly anymore without a pooey cum mix dripping all over the shagpile?

I think stannah have been marketing their product to the wrong group of people all these years
Old 17-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Madbradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Paddy
He's bought a car and can't get to the engine easily?

You sure you're not just checking up on him to see if it's the grown-up gay's version as opposed to the little boy gay's version?

The stop light you mentioned wasn't standard on VVCs until 1997. In standard trim the VVC should have [over the boggo 1.8] ABS, a stitched leather steering wheel and PAS as standard from launch [wasn't standard on the 1.8 until end of 97].

If he can check the steering wheel, or see the stop light, he can pop the engine cover and get the definitive answer!
The optional Brake light was an optional extra for the non VVC's But most 80% sold had this ticked or thrown is aswell as the steering wheel.

They have Diffrent wheels, too the Std models and LE's

MK1 VVC Wheels

Last edited by Madbradz; 17-07-2008 at 08:03 PM.