General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Council workers on strike tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 15-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Council workers on strike tomorrow

They want 6% pay increase Do some more work knob jockeys! lol

I honestly cant see them getting it, if the Chancellor is saying for everyone not to have pay increases above the rate of inflation ow can he allow the local Govt workers to do the opposite?
Old 15-07-2008, 09:37 PM
brs
Regular Contributor

lol will this make em do less standing around and more work lol
Old 15-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not all of them.
GMB voted to accept the pay cut (well, it's below inflation yet again) only because most of the members can afford to go on strike for a pay rise. I hope Unison get somewhere then we might get a pay rise for a change not a real term pay cut.

As for do some more work. I was shovelling about 10ton of sand today (by hand) to replace sand bags for the next flooding episode. Last week I was up at 3am, 4am and 5am on diferent days to go to work and work from 9-12hours. Nothing out of the ordinary. We average 42+hours a week over the year, probably peaking at 70-80 in winter depending on the weather. So don't tell me to do some more work (although the overtime does come in handy for car parts)

Now bin men/recycling on the other hand........they're on task and finish, so get paid 42.5hours (drivers) but will probably be lucky to do 35hours- so agree with you there (could cut theire staff by alot and still get the job don on time)
Old 15-07-2008, 11:03 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Claire, my wife works as an accountant for north tyneside council and she leaves the house at 7am and gets home about 7pm so tell me she doesn't put the work in. She's pregnant at the minute and doesn't want / need to strike at the moment but forced to do so. She can go into work if she wants to because she's exempt with her been pregnant but doesn't want to cross the picket line so she's losing 3 days pay!!
Old 16-07-2008, 06:09 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my wife works in a school and they are all out today

kids get a free holiday today and tomorrow apparently but most of the staff will be turning up for the sports day today

so figure that one out if you can
Old 16-07-2008, 09:24 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by ESCYSCOTT
Well Claire, my wife works as an accountant for north tyneside council and she leaves the house at 7am and gets home about 7pm so tell me she doesn't put the work in. She's pregnant at the minute and doesn't want / need to strike at the moment but forced to do so. She can go into work if she wants to because she's exempt with her been pregnant but doesn't want to cross the picket line so she's losing 3 days pay!!
I'm losing 2 days pay not 3 but it's still a lot of money that I can't really afford at the moment.

I was originally told by Unison that I was exempt from strike action and that because I was pregnant I should NOT attend work and should stay at home so that I didn't have to cross the picket line and suffer any distress that this would cause.

At about 3pm yesterday our HR officer came and told me to pick up my exemption certificate from reception and that I would be required to come into work

I personally voted against strike action. I work as an accountant and I know how much money there is in a LA's budget to pay for salaries etc. Budgets are generally only increased by 2.5% so the 2.45% pay increase on offer is all that the Authority can afford without having to make service cuts or pay people off. The Government won't give additional funding to pay for a higher increase so it would be left to all LA's to find the cash to
pay it themselves.

I know that through Gershon etc we have helped the Government achieve billions in efficiency savings but fact is the Government aren't going to share those savings with public sector workers!!!!

I'm really pissed off to be honest, so much so that I've decided to come out of Unison and not be a member of any union. I can use the Ł20.30p that I pay Unison a month to try and recoup the money I'm loosing through taking strike action.

The way I see it now is that for years I've supported a union and gone out on strike whenever there has been a ballot for strike action and what for?? Someone who isn't in the union (and there are quite a few of them where I work) ends up getting the same deal as I do and they don't have to go on strike and lose their pay but I pay a monthly fee and lose my salary to benefit those who don't pay a penny or lose anything in the process. My pension although still good is massively different from what I originally signed up to, did Unison fight long and hard to save my rights and others in my position?? Nope!!

No more being a mug I'm afraid, time to join the clever people!!

Oh and sorry, rant over now, I'll climb down off my soapbox
Old 16-07-2008, 09:28 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Rhys

I honestly cant see them getting it, if the Chancellor is saying for everyone not to have pay increases above the rate of inflation ow can he allow the local Govt workers to do the opposite?
Oh and btw, I'm not a 'Knob Jockey' and I do work incredibly hard
Old 16-07-2008, 03:21 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if everyone had your attitude then we'd all be in the shit

hang on, they do, and we are
Old 16-07-2008, 04:21 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dojj
if everyone had your attitude then we'd all be in the shit

hang on, they do, and we are
I presume that's that's aimed at me.

Think what you like mate to be honest I don't really give a flying fuck
Old 16-07-2008, 04:47 PM
addiction

Like you know what a good days work is Rhys!! you knob jockey!!! lmao
Old 16-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Wow some people on here lack some humor. No one see the winks . I used to work for the council so yes i actually know what its like!

MAtt, 100% agree with you that imo inflation is a lot higher than the rubbish quoted by the govt.

And do you lot think every worker is getting nice big pay rises? The main point of the topic if some of you care to read again, is how can this possible be accepted when Allistar Darling is calling for companies not to give big pay rises. So if hes to stick to this the govt workers CANNOT have a pay rise. If they do well thats him humilliated imo and he should leave office.

Plus efficency savings, of course they wont share it out, if i put something forward to my business in saving x amount they wont give me a little bit of the. They just say thats my job doh!

Last edited by Rhys; 16-07-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ian dont get me started :P
Old 16-07-2008, 04:52 PM
addiction

Ian dont get me started :P
Or what?????????
Old 16-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Could go on the waste i constantly see with local govt etc. Post was not like that as people cant see orignal topic.
Old 16-07-2008, 05:22 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Wow some people on here lack some humor. No one see the winks . I used to work for the council so yes i actually know what its like!
Unfortunately it's a really sore subject with me at the mo (as if that wasn't obvious ), my rant wasn't aimed at you just with the whole overall strike situation. Apologies for not having a sense of humour about it all
Old 16-07-2008, 05:24 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

P.S. I'm a hormonal 36 week pregnant woman, cut me some slack
Old 16-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Claire, things like this can always get heated. lol

Honestly cant see the pay rise happening. As you said where will the money come from, how can they go against the man with the money decision and finally anyone who know the basics of economics big pay rises could only make the current economic situation worse.

I know i need a pay rise, but even if had 10k pay rise, i still wouldnt have enough money lol.

Edited to say your pregnant :O when did that happen? did'nt relise, congrats btw!
Old 16-07-2008, 05:32 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Edited to say your pregnant :O when did that happen? did'nt relise, congrats btw!
I could tell you all the details by I'll stick to the basics, some time last November lol

Cheers for the congrats, won't be long now before she's here, we both can't wait. I feel like a whale and I've definitely had days when I've looked better But hey it's only for another 4 weeks. Roll on the 15th August
Old 16-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They deserve every penny, just coz some of you fel hard done by in your jobs doesn't mean anyone else should suffer - if you feel hard done by kick off at your employers, not other workers.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Selfish, think of themselves fools, who cant see the bigger picture! We are hitting a recesion and they want bigger rises!
Old 16-07-2008, 07:23 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Selfish, think of themselves fools, who cant see the bigger picture! We are hitting a recesion and they want bigger rises!
Which is exactly why they want a payrise.... you must have noticed the prices of everything going up?? In effect this year (I'm in the RAF) have had a paycut AGAIN for the 3rd year running .... If you work for yourself/ a private company etc, you get paid overtime or you can do more work, most people who work for the public sector can't do more work to earn more cash...

It is a viscious circle, it needs the government to stop wasting BILLIONS of our taxes on shit, not stop decent people getting a less than insulting payrise...
Old 16-07-2008, 07:50 PM
rssteve

If you don't like what your job pays you, change job. End of.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:55 PM
rssteve

[QUOTE=RWD_cossie_wil;3434821]If you work for yourself/ a private company etc, you get paid overtime or you can do more work, most people who work for the public sector can't do more work to earn more cash...QUOTE]

change job then, no one made you work in the public sector did they? Get a second job at nights if its that bad. Sell the car. I really don't see what peoples problems are they all want more money, everyones bills are going up not just theres.
Old 16-07-2008, 07:55 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rssteve
If you don't like what your job pays you, change job. End of.
As it is that simple..
Old 16-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt J
maybe you think Vince Mcmahon should run the country?
No way.

Should be Hacksaw Jim Duggen.

Id say Koko B Ware, but this country isnt yet ready for a black PM.

Old 16-07-2008, 08:01 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

[quote=rssteve;3434897]
Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
If you work for yourself/ a private company etc, you get paid overtime or you can do more work, most people who work for the public sector can't do more work to earn more cash...QUOTE]

change job then, no one made you work in the public sector did they? Get a second job at nights if its that bad. Sell the car. I really don't see what peoples problems are they all want more money, everyones bills are going up not just theres.
I'm on a good wage luckily, but open your eyes, if no one worked in the public sector, what would you do? No schools, no bin collections, no road maintainance, no police, no fire service , no ambulances/ hospitals... Very silly attitude IMHO. People simply want to be able to afford to live.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

It is a viscious circle, it needs the government to stop wasting BILLIONS of our taxes on shit, ...
I agree with that Will, but its not gona happen!
Old 16-07-2008, 08:07 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
I agree with that Will, but its not gona happen!
A vast amount being spent pandering to the right wing fooking do-gooders, paying people who shouldn't even be in the country vast sums of money to live in our country and plan ways to bomb us . Or pay for some cunt of an MP's second home, they should live in barrack blocks in london like the forces do
Old 16-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

A vast amount being spent pandering to the right wing fooking do-gooders, paying people who shouldn't even be in the country vast sums of money to live in our country and plan ways to bomb us . Or pay for some cunt of an MP's second home, they should live in barrack blocks in london like the forces do

I know mate i know! I totally agree but like i say its always gonna happen! I think youve just to draw a line under that cash and ignore it! LOL Its too late to change it!
Old 16-07-2008, 08:12 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I like your style
Old 16-07-2008, 08:14 PM
rssteve

[QUOTE=RWD_cossie_wil;3434913]
Originally Posted by rssteve

I'm on a good wage luckily, but open your eyes, if no one worked in the public sector, what would you do? No schools, no bin collections, no road maintainance, no police, no fire service , no ambulances/ hospitals... Very silly attitude IMHO. People simply want to be able to afford to live.
genrally imo of course the majoratory(sp) of people who do these kinds of jobs are the sort that lack self motivation, or even have the skills to do better more well paid jobs. I spent 4 years training for my job and work very hard everyday. What should someone whos only done very little or no training be entitled to more money than me? And it aint just people who lack skill that can earn good money. The local drain unblockers around here earn good money consider most don't have any training. Its the fact that they clean shit out of drains that gets them there money, they wouldn't earn that money if they were sat at a desk doing an easy 9-5 job would they!

Now if i wanted a payrise, i would go to my boss, and ask, if he said no or only offered me less than i wanted then i have 2 options, first would be to take what he was offering, the second would be to get a new job that paid what i wanted(of course this may not be available and i would have to earn what i was on before or retrain for a different job.)
Old 16-07-2008, 08:19 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

rhys, just to piss you off, i got 16% on monday LOL
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Matt J
Surely you understand though that giving them a pay rise would be pointless? the cost of everything would have to go up so you'd just end up paying even more for your stuff! you'd be inflicting a higher cost of living on those in other areas who had even less of a pay rise than you!!

Yes its shit, but so is everyone else's 2.5% pay rise. do you not think it would be wise just to tighten the belt and soak it up while we go through a rocky patch instead of making things worse by demanding more money? wasting a load more money is hardly what the government can afford to do at present.
They seem more than experts at wasting money, hence why we are in this mess Anyway, it's all bullshit, the government has taxed us to absolute fuck and done FUCK ALL with the cash

Last edited by RWD_cossie_wil; 16-07-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Thats why i said its selfish Matt....they just cant see the bigger picture and knock on effect!
I have just taken a pay cut!
Old 16-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

They seem more than experts at wasting money, hence why we are in this mess
No, we are in a mess because fucktard banks were lending money to people who shouldnt be able to borrow/borrow so much to buy houses that fucktard estate agents pushed the prices up on.

But, i still think people are going ott. Really, this crunch shouldnt effect you unless your moving house! Fuel and foods gone up a tad...thats all i can see wrong!
Old 16-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Gotta say agree 100% with Matt here.

I think with my company i will only be getting offical 2% pay rise this year. (find out in few weeks) Ye it sucks, but to of set this i have been working my bollocks of over the last year and had a promotion so a few more k. But thats nothing to do with pay rise, that will be a crappy 2% i imagine lol.

Unfortunatley if they pay, taxes will have to go up to pay for it (govt dont magic money). Then Private workforce will need more money to pay for extra tax, then price of commodities will go up. For example i work in food industry so price of food goes up. Then we are all back to square one! Good old inflation, the enemy of an economy. (well low inflation is ok).

I just want to see how strong this Chancellor is, as in my book a BIG test of his credentials to lead through a rough time.

Quick Reply: Council workers on strike tomorrow