General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can anyone do a reg check? Our Grand Prix was ruined :( Croft incident copycat

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:47 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can anyone do a reg check? Our Grand Prix was ruined :( Croft incident copycat

Unfortunately our van fell foul of a copy cat of Croft weekend

Went to the Grand Prix this weekend, got tent set up Saturday and went off to watch the qualifying, came back after the historic saloon cars to find a quite a few new groups had pitched the other side of the hill - possibly not part of the same group, but these people partied all night, I know its tempting to mess around in large spaces, but we slept in the back of the van in the end due to the noise of cars and music plus when I was in the tent a car came wheel spinning on wet grass literally a foot from our tent.

The police came out and moved the noisy lot further up the field from all the normal campers who wanted to sleep, and security drove round a lot - everytime they came round the 'handbrakers' dispersed, then can out a again, seemed to cease once dark.

Sunday morning we headed off about 8 o'clock to the circuit on foot, assuming the nights antics had finished plus security still there.

Got soaked at the GP but stoaked that Lewis won - we'd packed all our stuff into the van but left our windbreaker up, walking back across the field to leave J says 'where's the windbreaker?' then spotted it on the floor behind the van (the poles were hammered in and hadn't blown down in the wind over night so thought it strange, also he was sure the van wasn't on that angle)
the wind breaker was covered in grass, I look at the van to see the back light broken the bumper scuffed and a nasty dent in the rear quarter, some c**t (and I never use that word) has been fucking about lost it, ploughed through the windbreaker and whacked the van - which was fairly heavy with our stuff so they gave it a good whack. Some of the partiers were still there, so clearly didn't even have tickets for race day anyway, we didn't approach them as witnesses as security had already told us they had a reg number

Luckily someone witnessed and passed the offenders reg to security (who said the car had driven straight away after hitting it) but didn't leave his name.

What can I do now? All I have is the reg, reported to the police, as the gates were open to the site it is classed as public space so committed an offence by not reporting an accident and leaving the scene, bet they just deny it to the police or not even insured, probably didn't want to lose no claims or pay up and have the back bone to face responsibility of what did -what if my tent was still up or worse still if was still in it at the time??! Such a horrid feeling to come back to find that, really ruined the weekend

Hell no reason why I can't post the index number, someone may find something out R663 KHT Fiat Bravo (edit Marea)

Z

Last edited by cabrio zo; 07-07-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 AM
cressy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shit news mate hope they get the bastards
Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Sorry to hear you had your weekend ruined Zoe, Hope you get it all sorted
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

There really are some 1st class cocks floating about

Main thing is you are not hurt and the damage was only to property

To check if a motor vehicle is insured punch the details in on this link
http://www.askmid.com/

Luciano

Last edited by charlie luciano; 07-07-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You pass the information on to your insurance company and they will pursue it on your behalf. As you have a witness (did you get their name and address?), then it should be okay and the police can go round and follow it up by checking his car for damage. HOWEVER, you have to act quickly, to stop him from having a chance to repair HIS damage before the police view his car. So first port of call is to PHONE the police local to the incident and get a crime reference number, then phone your insurance company and provide this to them and see if they will give you his address details to pass on to the police. However, try and do everything you can yourself in fact finding, so that you can pass all the information back and forth first hand. If you leave it to them to do everything, then time may pass before they do so, sufficient for the culpritt to repair his car and cover up the accident. So you need to express to everyone, how time is of the essence. Use the fact with the police that they ran over your wind-breaker, and only TIMING prevented the pair of your from either being serious injuries or even death .
Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know its only an old van but its the principle, and the fact like most people who hit others cars and drive off, think get away with it and not accept responsibility - sadly the witness didn't leave his name and address, just passed the reg number of our van hit and the car that hit it to the security guys.

I reported over the phone to the police straight away and got an incident number, will follow up with my local station

Its not really the money/repair side of things, just the lack of respect and stupidity - I know they didn't plan on hitting anything, but by the action of 'fucking about' sliding around near peoples property you are creating that risk

Thanks for your replies and advice everyone

Z

Last edited by cabrio zo; 07-07-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 AM
vinnyvangough
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIAT MAREA ELX
Black
1.8 petrol
Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

It IS insured.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

put radio 2 on Zoe - they are going to talk about this very issue in a minute
Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

on second thoughts, don't bother. they've got rent-a-gob steve berry on there
Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
put radio 2 on Zoe - they are going to talk about this very issue in a minute
If that lad's listening, he'l 5hit a brick!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I just caught the end 5 minutes or so, Kettering police phoned back and asked me to give a report to my local police station quoting their incidence number to send to them.

As said its not the money side of things, I mean it could be patched up with new light bit of filler and paint, then why should we have to now fork out for bits to repair it? Its the principle and the fact they think can get away with it, a visit from the police at least would kind of suffice, showing that it was known they did it if that makes sense

Z
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As Mike said leave it to insurance, what they're paid for.