General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Abortion Debate...

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Abortion Debate...

....Firstly....bear in mind that this could be a sensitive topic for some people on the site...so dont take the piss or I'll sit on you!

What are peoples opinions on Abortion?

Do you think the current upper limit of 24 weeks is too high or too low?

Do you think Abortions are "wrong" and all conceptions should be left to run their natural course?

With all the coverage in the media lately Im just interested to know what peoples views are.

Thanks

Anna
Old 21-05-2008, 07:40 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

I completely agree with the limit of 24 weeks

I don't think abortion is wrong at all - what if a girl was raped or something?

It's down to personal choice really
Old 21-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I think is wrong is that should a woman decide to abort a pregnancy the man has no legal say or standing.
Likewise should a man not be prepared or have the desire to father a child but the woman goes ahead and gives birth the child the fact he is expected to financially support the child

I think if a man has NO say on termination or birth then expecting him to pay for the womans choice and not his is wrong.

No matter what your views on abortions are they will happen, even if made illegal and I would not want to think about women having backstreet abortions

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 21-05-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:02 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Late term abortion is tantamount to murder, even 24 weeks is too late IMHO.

In the case of accidents/rape/whatever, the morning after pill is available and should be used where possible.

Between these times however things are not so clear cut, all the arguments about it being murder depend on how you define the start of life, its that the formation of a human looking fetus, or when it can feel pain, or not until it can think?

IMHO it has to come down to what is best for the child, I would rather, as a child, not find out I was born to a rapist father and a mentally scarred mother 9 months after the incident when she has dropped out of her education to support me and in doing so created a family with no prospects, purely because she "didnt believe" in abortion. IMHO again, every child has the right to be born into a stable environment with love and future prospects, a afct all too often overlooked in todays climate of tax cuts and single mothers.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Alistair - couldnt of said it better myself.

I DO think that 24 weeks is too late.... unless it is an EXEPTIONAL circumstance the foetus will have a heartbeat, fingernails, and will even be able to sucks its thumb!

There have now been numerous surviving babies born even earlier than 24 weeks.

Ireland will not terminate a baby, unless it has a severe health issue or unless the mothers life is being put at risk.

Many other countries in the EU have a 12 week limit.

Im pleased our limit is being reviewed.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:20 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

putting all the "what if's" to one side

if you are having sex and the reslut is the woman is pregnant, then abortin shouldn't be an automatic option like it seems to be

you either have the kid and live with the results of you being silly or you have the abortion and lose the ability to have kids again when they sterlise you at the same time

this would apply to not just the woman but the bloke as well, bring the kid up together and make sure everything is right even though you may hate each other, you were loved up enough to have sex or both get the treatment to never have kids so you don't have to make the same "mistake" again

and if you do decide to have the kid and then don't bring it up right, you lose not only the kid, but your gith to any sort of benift, ever, for the rest of your life, end of story

you may have the expection to the rule where there is the claim of rape, but if this is real or not would be up to a jury to decide, and if found that they were somehow trying to con the law, the same rules would apply to them as they would if they had an abortion for just the sake of having it, with the added benifit of both of them being locked up for at least the next 18 years

that's my viewpoint on the matter, that's my stance on the matter, make a credible arguement for it being any other way and i'll listen
Old 21-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Without personalising things too much its hard to put across my views...but here goes.

A woman is in a comitted relationship with a man and are taking every precaution that should be needed to be able to both maintain a healthy sexual relationship and to not have the end result of this sexual relationship be a child...

The woman and man discuss things at great length and decide that if circumstances were different i.e. they were both in full time employment (not one of them studying for a degree and the other being made redundant) then they would make a go of things, but as it stands neither of them are financially or emotionally able to support a child.

Maybe "selfish" reasons for considering an abortion...but if the woman is trying to make a better life for herself in the future and any children that do come along then...should the right to abort this pregnancy not be an option?
Old 21-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
Late term abortion is tantamount to murder, even 24 weeks is too late IMHO.

In the case of accidents/rape/whatever, the morning after pill is available and should be used where possible.

Between these times however things are not so clear cut, all the arguments about it being murder depend on how you define the start of life, its that the formation of a human looking fetus, or when it can feel pain, or not until it can think?

IMHO it has to come down to what is best for the child, I would rather, as a child, not find out I was born to a rapist father and a mentally scarred mother 9 months after the incident when she has dropped out of her education to support me and in doing so created a family with no prospects, purely because she "didnt believe" in abortion. IMHO again, every child has the right to be born into a stable environment with love and future prospects, a afct all too often overlooked in todays climate of tax cuts and single mothers.
Thats saved me some typing. Agree 100%.

I actually think all girls in this country should have the implant until married, but thats another story alltogether.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:36 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
The only thing I think is wrong is that should a woman decide to abort a pregnancy the man has no legal say or standing.
Likewise should a man not be prepared or have the desire to father a child but the woman goes ahead and gives birth the child the fact he is expected to financially support the child

I think if a man has NO say on termination or birth then expecting him to pay for the womans choice and not his is wrong.

Well said!
Old 21-05-2008, 08:37 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by dojj
putting all the "what if's" to one side

if you are having sex and the reslut is the woman is pregnant, then abortin shouldn't be an automatic option like it seems to be

you either have the kid and live with the results of you being silly or you have the abortion and lose the ability to have kids again when they sterlise you at the same time

this would apply to not just the woman but the bloke as well, bring the kid up together and make sure everything is right even though you may hate each other, you were loved up enough to have sex or both get the treatment to never have kids so you don't have to make the same "mistake" again

and if you do decide to have the kid and then don't bring it up right, you lose not only the kid, but your gith to any sort of benift, ever, for the rest of your life, end of story

you may have the expection to the rule where there is the claim of rape, but if this is real or not would be up to a jury to decide, and if found that they were somehow trying to con the law, the same rules would apply to them as they would if they had an abortion for just the sake of having it, with the added benifit of both of them being locked up for at least the next 18 years

that's my viewpoint on the matter, that's my stance on the matter, make a credible arguement for it being any other way and i'll listen
why should the child be brought up in a resent filled loveless family as a punishment to the parents for carelessness, or bad luck (contraceptives arent 100% even used responibly) Forcing 2 parents to look after a child when they hate each other as you put it is not in any way constructuve, and potentially very destructive to the childs long term mental health. I find your opinion difficult to agree with as it is entirely contrary to my "best for the child" argument above.

Maria: I agree 24 weeks is too late, but I do not think abortion should simply be banned, it serves a very useful purpose in our modern society.

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
I actually think all girls in this country should have the implant until married, but thats another story alltogether.
Thats fine, except some women cannot due to hormone imbalances etc causing huge mood sings and the onset of depression, but i agree in principle. We are however at that point getting away from a debate onto abortion and onto an ethical discussion on allowing the medical profession to define our suitability as parents. (ironic that you need a license to have a car/gun/dog, but not a chid?)

Last edited by alistairolsen; 21-05-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Punkie
Maybe "selfish" reasons for considering an abortion...but if the woman is trying to make a better life for herself in the future and any children that do come along then...should the right to abort this pregnancy not be an option?
Yes, of course it should. Knowingly bringing children into the world when you are financially and maybe emotionally unstable is bang out of order and i am drained of it being allowed to happen so much.

There are more 16 - 25yrs olds pushing prams in blackpool than 25+. FAR FAR more and its a joke as i work my arse off to pay for all teh benefits they claim.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:40 AM
alistairolsen

Without personalising things too much its hard to put across my views...but here goes.

A woman is in a comitted relationship with a man and are taking every precaution that should be needed to be able to both maintain a healthy sexual relationship and to not have the end result of this sexual relationship be a child...

The woman and man discuss things at great length and decide that if circumstances were different i.e. they were both in full time employment (not one of them studying for a degree and the other being made redundant) then they would make a go of things, but as it stands neither of them are financially or emotionally able to support a child.

IMO, yes, as it is not in the childs interests to be born into a financially struggling family with no prospects after they end their education to care for it. as I said, its not murder or anything of the sort before a threshold time, its down to the individual where you chose to define life.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by dojj
you either have the kid and live with the results of you being silly
Fook me, opinions like that are whats wrong with this country. Surely your fooking joking?!?!
Old 21-05-2008, 08:43 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

I find it funny that the whole 'for' debate is based on a 'woman's right to choose'.
Surely, in most cases, the womans already made that choice by having unprotected sex in the first place.
Sorry but if you cant do the time, dont do the crime.

If you're too naieve to know about johnnys and the like, you're too naieve to have sex.

I can only agree with 'late' abortion in extenuating circumstances such as rape where the poor victim may not be in any mental state to think about morning after pills and the like.
Also in the case of rape there should be another late abortion option - the 'termination' of the rapist.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:45 AM
alistairolsen

Fook me, opinions like that are whats wrong with this country. Surely your fooking joking?!?!
no mate, as far as I am aware Dojj is of a very different faith so possibly has very different beliefs to you and I. While I agree with you entirely, this is one reason why the current laws are so cloudy and open ended so as to leave it to free choice, and why I never expect to see contraception become compulsory, or licensing of parents. For you or I to expect that, we must equally be prepared for it to swing the other way and have Dojj's suggestion made law.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:47 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by dunketh
I find it funny that the whole 'for' debate is based on a 'woman's right to choose'.
Surely, in most cases, the womans already made that choice by having unprotected sex in the first place.
Sorry but if you cant do the time, dont do the crime.

If you're too naieve to know about johnnys and the like, you're too naieve to have sex.

I can only agree with 'late' abortion in extenuating circumstances such as rape where the poor victim may not be in any mental state to think about morning after pills and the like.
Also in the case of rape there should be another late abortion option - the 'termination' of the rapist.
you misunderstand if you think thats whats been said, every post bar Dojj has been centred around the future of the child, not the parents. As I said before, any contraceptive method is not 100% reliable, especially not in the case of condoms. Call it an accepted risk if you like, but you can find yourself pregnant even when taking care.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:48 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you see it all the time on the telly, just because they are 12 years old when they have the kid, with the right support and family enviroment things can work

and if they don't, then there is the other way of stripping them over every benifit they think they are going to get

sterotyping ALL youngerster as being up for getting a council house is just as wrong as sterotyping all middle classed not able to have kids married couples as being perfect fostering parents

you have to look at the bigger picture overall and make sweeping changes

i have my own reasons for my views which i won't share, the past is the past, but if you don't learn from other peoles mistakes then how are you going to learn anything at all? by making the same mistakes yourselve you leave the fdoor open for everyone to tar you with the same brush is all i'm saying, and if you don't want kids running around because their parents don't care then you have to stop the problem at the source, not look for a solution to getting the horse back after you've left the stable door open and it's got a 40 year headstart on you

as said, they are my views
Old 21-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by maria
Ireland will not terminate a baby, unless it has a severe health issue or unless the mothers life is being put at risk.
Abortion is still happening in Ireland still though they did a documentary on it a while back and girls are still coming to the UK and to Europe to have these.. it will still happen.

The abortion laws do not need reviewing as much as sex education, and the governments desire to financially support children who leave school, get pregnant and have contributed nothing to the country by giving them a place and money.

The biggest problem is people do not associate sex with having children.. here's a radical idea for the youth of today, keep your legs shut until the possibility of becoming a parent does not scare you.
If your not prepared or mature enough to consider the possibility of becoming a parent even if you do not wish to, then you are not mature enough to have sex imho

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 21-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:53 AM
alistairolsen

Abortion is still happening in Ireland

The abortion laws do not need reviewing as much as sex education,

The biggest problem is people do not associate sex with having children.. here's a radical idea for the youth of today, keep your legs shut until the possibility of becoming a parent does not scare you.
If your not prepared or mature enough to consider the possibility of becoming a parent even if you do not wish to, then you are not mature enough to have sex imho
Agree 100% abortion will always happen, its like alcohol prohibition in the US for gods sake!

Sex education in this country is ok, but arguably begins too late. I started having sex waaay after the classes at school at 15/16, but many dont, and therefore dont know what they need to.

And I agree fully on the responsibility thing, and if I did have a kid now Id do my best for it, my gf has said on many occasions she wouldnt expect me to stick around if I didnt want to, but i know I couldnt walk away, part of who I am. At the same time Im aware that it isnt the ideal time to be raising a child by any stretch of the imagination
Old 21-05-2008, 08:54 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a sensitive subject yes, but one thats considered a 'taboo' subject usually so its a good topic for a debate!

I have to say I agree with the right to choose, having a child is the most demanding life changing experience any woman (man) can go through, but if the times not 'right' then it shouldnt be forced upon them to go 'ahead' with having a baby.

I do however feel that 24 weeks is to late! 16 - 18 weeks should be the limit imo.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it is an adult decision between a couple then yes I agree with all of the above, set a time limit though as 24 weeks is late enough for a decision you usually deep down know instantly if something is right for you both or not.

Alistair- superb view,its not a child untill you decide it is, 6wks or 6 months, if you dont want and cant afford to bring up a child at this moment then it has to be better to admit such a fact rather than kid yourselves and struggle and hurt your child not affording and struggling on have an existance but NOT what you really want to give them

yes you have to selfish as its your life too not just an unborns.
Each to their own though, I just couldnt have 12 children not affording and resenting every one of them, I would prefer to give and bring up a child/children knowing I could provide and give them a better chance than most... in all honesty- better than I had.
God Im welling up here
Old 21-05-2008, 09:01 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Abortion is still happening in Ireland still though they did a documentary on it a while back and girls are still coming to the UK and to Europe to have these.. it will still happen.
I think it should be an option legally. If you make abortion illegal how can you control it - maintain clean facilities - health of the mother ? etc...

you misunderstand if you think thats whats been said, every post bar Dojj has been centred around the future of the child, not the parents.
Call it an accepted risk if you like, but you can find yourself pregnant even when taking care.
I appreciate both these points, but I dont believe they have any bearing on the actual time limit, as in why it has to be so long.
These decisions need to be made early on in the pregnancy as soon as possible, its plain irresponsible to dilly-dally til the last minute because you kow you can.
If the government is failing in any way its through lack of support and councelling for potential new mothers, not lack of sex education.
Old 21-05-2008, 09:05 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by dunketh
I dont believe they have any bearing on the actual time limit, as in why it has to be so long.
These decisions need to be made early on in the pregnancy as soon as possible, its plain irresponsible to dilly-dally til the last minute because you kow you can.
agree 100% mate! I just think that to keep a child regardless of circumstances just because "abortion is wrong" is iresponsible and ignorant of the best interests of the unborn child
Old 21-05-2008, 09:24 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have to agree 24 weeks is murder end of, should be a 8-10 week limit at most. If you dont want the child then he/she can be adopted at birth plenty of loving couples out there for the babies.
Old 21-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
no mate, as far as I am aware Dojj is of a very different faith so possibly has very different beliefs to you and I.
Wasnt aware of Dojj's religion, but it doesnt change the fact that the country is full of gymslip unemployed single mothers due to the fact they had children that damn well should have been aborted for the good of EVERYONE. I cant see any good at all coming from half the children born into this country. All they do is drag our benefits system down and hammer the poor worker who has to provide benefits from his tax.

You want kids? Great, no problem, but get jobs and pay for them yourself and stop asking me to. I am sick of paying for them, my own kids are expensive enough and i had them by choice... why the hell should i pay for someone else's?
Old 21-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

No matter what your views on abortions are they will happen, even if made illegal and I would not want to think about women having backstreet abortions
here here seconded
Old 21-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Wasnt aware of Dojj's religion, but it doesnt change the fact that the country is full of gymslip unemployed single mothers due to the fact they had children that damn well should have been aborted for the good of EVERYONE. I cant see any good at all coming from half the children born into this country. All they do is drag our benefits system down and hammer the poor worker who has to provide benefits from his tax.

You want kids? Great, no problem, but get jobs and pay for them yourself and stop asking me to. I am sick of paying for them, my own kids are expensive enough and i had them by choice... why the hell should i pay for someone else's?
Old 21-05-2008, 09:35 AM
stonehavencossie

Now im not a woman but i dont understand how women can get themselves in a position of still being undecided at 24 weeks ?

Surely they have know for long before that ?
Old 21-05-2008, 09:37 AM
stonehavencossie

And 'Dojj's religion' ??????????????????????????

religion should have absolutely NOTHING to do with this subject
Old 21-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
Now im not a woman but i dont understand how women can get themselves in a position of still being undecided at 24 weeks ?

Surely they have know for long before that ?
womens hormones are the problem when pregnant
Old 21-05-2008, 09:41 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nail hammer head
Old 21-05-2008, 09:42 AM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
womens hormones are the problem when pregnant

but surely if the painters aint been in for that long then they must know somethings up ?
Old 21-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

but surely if the painters aint been in for that long then they must know somethings up ?

im sorry but lol@that
Old 21-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

TOTALLY agree.....

and you know the really scary thing??? (I have Chip to thank for this)

our society is getting dragged down and down.... its like the opposite of survival of the fittest if you think about it.

More and more high flyers and career driven people are either choosing not to have children or just don't have the time or make the decision that they can't afford them.... (I'm 99.9999% sure I won't ever have kids for example)

where as loads of benefit claiming, out of work scum just sit around having kids left, right and centre.... and guess what 90% of these kids do? yep... claim benefits, don't work and have yet more kids...

net result... more scum, less people with a positive input into our society!

If I ran the country I would make it the law that you had to have a license to have kids... and that you would be a capable parent and can afford to have one!

It would solve sooooooooooooooo many problems!
Old 21-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

My misses had to abort a 12 weeks due to a medical issue 10 years ago tbh we both still feel like killers , which if your remotely human kills a piece inside you .Theres a lot of views here on this are all good likie dojjs you made the bed now u sleep in it but has complication of a child that was never wanteds in some circumstsances BUT you have to learn by ur mistakes in life ! then we have stu like most normal blokes family orientated works his finger to the bone to provide for hiis family why should his taxes go up to pay for utter stupidity.

the only way to stop ssay 8 out 10 abortions is "responsibility " which many of us as a human fail to cope with , As if we used contraception that would minimise accidental pregnancies job done so realisticly this debate wouldnt be here but we are human and involved in that is the total lack care for ourselves and intent to ruin our own lives and others ! sorry about the rant lol
Old 21-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thi sis my opinion.

THE MINUTE THE SPERM TOUCHES THE EGG, A NEW LIFE IS BORN! AND NO ONE HAVE THE RIGHTS TO KILL IT, WHO THE FUCK GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO KILL A HUMAN?! WE ARE NOT GOD, WE DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO HURT NOR EVEN KILL! A HUMAN BEING! EITHER IF ITS 24 WEEKS, AND EVEN 1 SECOND, ITS STILL A MURDER.

ALL OF YOU THAT THINK THAT ABORTION IS OK ARE MURDERES IMHO.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i think that the current limit is far too late, in exceptional circumstances where the baby is going to have little or no quality of life i think it would be acceptable however i do think that at 24 weeks its no longer a foetus, imo a better limit would have been 16weeks.

I know its only a small minority that have terminations at 24 weeks but i dont think its humane to end someones life which is quite well established when they are fully formed and capable of surviving
Old 21-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

And 'Dojj's religion' ??????????????????????????

religion should have absolutely NOTHING to do with this subject
Exactly, I really want to post something , But I won't
Old 21-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

AND IF U ARE A FUCKIN 16 YEAR OLD CHAV WHORE GIRL AND ONE DAY SHE FINDS ' OOOHH I AM PREGNANT, WAS IT HARRY, JACK OR JIM?'

if u dont want the child, give it birth and then put it for adoption. there are thousands of couples that cant have children.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mates, let me make this clear..

foetus is a living human, u just cant kill it.

Quick Reply: The Abortion Debate...