General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Back From Brunters (Added Videos and Pictures page 4) Maybe Grudge Match Coming!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Why are you shooting the messenger . I didn't say it was scientific, I just said that is what happens.

I even clarified my OWN stance on that to ensure that people couldn't misinterpret it . I forgot I had to deal with arguementative twats .
You are the one making claims that having a load of random folk stood there makes it somehow any better though Mike, not anyone else.

Thats a nonsense, we ALL (well those of us with a brain) realise that wind speed effects it, but if I go and run there and there is a fairly strong wind, what am I meant to do about, come back another day and pay again? Of course I wouldnt, Id just post my speed, thats all anyone can realistically do, its a flawed method, and there is NO point you trying to make it seem less so.
Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont, thats the reality.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
You are the one making claims that having a load of random folk stood there makes it somehow any better though Mike, not anyone else.

Thats a nonsense, we ALL (well those of us with a brain) realise that wind speed effects it, but if I go and run there and there is a fairly strong wind, what am I meant to do about, come back another day and pay again? Of course I wouldnt, Id just post my speed, thats all anyone can realistically do, its a flawed method, and there is NO point you trying to make it seem less so.
Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont, thats the reality.

Chip you argumenative twat, please point out where I have said that makes it any better?

I am just stating WHAT HAPPENS after any runs - it is disected by all and sundry from the information provided (even if they weren't there ) and the run is either villified or accepted.

I wasn't suggesting anything other than the only way to do it scientifically to prevent all the back-biting after such an event, would be the two-run way. However, I ALREADY stated the impracticalities / improbability of doing it this way.

You're basically either arguing with yourself or agreeing with me, and I don't know why . I merely stated what happens and suggested a solution.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Chip

It might not be properly measured, but there is always an entourage of people there and the weather conditions are ALWAYS mentioned
Mike its that bit Im on about, "might not be", no it ISNT, no might about it, and the prescence of a few randomers doesnt change that.

The reality is that weather is a case of luck (or planning maybe for the sneaky ones out there, lol) and you trying to dress it up as anything else, is pointless, none of the mags reporting on it contain testimonials from the onlookers in their tables, they just state the figure, so while at the time there might be some chat, that all disappears and only the speed remains.

Last edited by Chip; 09-04-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

what have i started now?

as long as everybody sees it all as a bit of fun to compare their top speeds, then it's all good if people are talking about it in very competitive terms, then it is clearly a nonsense
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Mike its that bit Im on about, "might not be", no it ISNT, no might about it, and the prescence of a few randomers doesnt change that.

The reality is that weather is a case of luck (or planning maybe for the sneaky ones out there, lol) and you trying to dress it up as anything else, is pointless, none of the mags reporting on it contain testimonials from the onlookers, they just state the figure, so while at the time there might be some chat, that all disappears and only the speed remains.
Are you on drugs? I KNOW THIS, THIS IS WHY I BROUGHT IT UP!

Please also point out where I mentioned anything reported by the mags either . I just stated it how it is on this BB. The conditions on the run are invariably discussed, the run is ALWAYS either accepted or villified by different parties and the weather conditions are either ignored by the numpties (or deliberately not taken into account by those that should know better).

I ACCEPT THAT UNLESS THE TWO-WAY RUN IS ADOPTED, THEN THIS IS THE WAY IT WILL ALWAYS BE, I WAS JUST OFFERING AN IDEALISTIC SOLUTION AND SUGGESTING THAT WITHOUT THIS THE NUMBERS DON'T ALWAYS SHOW THE FULL POTENTIAL OF THE CAR.

I really do not understand your need for trying to turn it into something else .
Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

why you biting? tut tut!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Gatecrasher
why you biting? tut tut!
Because it chaffs my balls when someone tries to make out you are saying something that you are clearly not .
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billabong
Wet finger in the air?

That got me!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Chip

The conditions on the run are invariably discussed, the run is ALWAYS either accepted or villified by different parties and the weather conditions are either ignored by the numpties or deliberately not taken into account by those that should know better.

Ah well, so long as we have a process where based on a 3rd party who wasnt there hearing the unqualified opinion of a bloke who was there who thought it was windy to "vilify" the run, then it all sounds fine to me, no wonder you got upset at me pointing out maybe you were talking nonsense

I can only apologise for my interjections as a scientist when evidently its not about science its about forum politics instead

Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
That got me!
I knew some humour would be needed shortly, so got it in early....
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ah well, so long as we have a process where based on a 3rd party who wasnt there hearing the unqualified opinion of a bloke who was there who thought it was windy to "vilify" the run, then it all sounds fine to me, no wonder you got upset at me pointing out maybe you were talking nonsense

I can only apologise for my interjections as a scientist when evidently its not about science its about forum politics instead

Chip,
If you actually read my posts, I was suggesting a proper scientific way to prevent the back-biting that goes on .
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Chip

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 AM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Awsome results there, quality videos too. Hope you guys will deffo do a grudge match, should be amazing!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 PM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

lol, to blow more wind up mikes ass, the RST he mentioned went back with different power but also different gearing so again a flawed test as usual (owner is a homosexual and was too scared to rev it even when taunted by "friends" )..... but hey apples and oranges are all the same in many eyes lol

optimum run = as much tailwind as poss that does not hinder stopping at the other end...... lol
Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by dumped
the RST he mentioned went back with different power but also different gearing so again a flawed test as usual (owner is a homosexual and was too scared to rev it even when taunted by "friends" )..... but hey apples and oranges are all the same in many eyes lol
Funny how he never mentioned that .
Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
baba
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
Now thats funny!
no as said earlier by sumone didnt take it to heart its a car forum after all its simply my opinion.

forget it mate.just didnt really appreciate what you said
Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
FULLBORE
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

lol this is the funniest thread ive ever read................
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Just to confirm some of what mike and dumped are saying.

Day 1. 165bhp at wheels, rsturbo wheels with 195 tyres. Car accelerated really quickly and pulled up to 149.9 easily. Without doubt a better wind condition day. Would even suggest it was tail wind. I backed off with loads of distance to go as I had only just removed my rev limiter and it hadn't been trialed at really high rpm on the rollers. So I decided with a 130k mile bottom end to back off. No doubt car would have pulled a bit more. Personal Estimation 2-5 mph. Probably the lower side of that scale cos I appreciate how much distance is disappearing per second and the fact the car isn't really that quick accel at 150 already.

(6 months later or something) Day 2. 195 at the wheels, better cooling system too. I ran 16 inch mondeo wheels, i forget what people call them no, maybe they are SI wheels? Which increased the gearing quite a considerable bit as the car was still running the std 205 high sidewall mondeo tyres Car accelerated okay ish, conditions we without doubt head wind. ran 150.1. It took me to braking STUPIDLY late to get there. If I had lifted at the same place as my day1. run I wouldnt have got more than say 145.

More power, higher gearing, better cooling at the end of the runway, worse wind conditions by quite some margin, MUCH MUCH MUCH later braking, .2mph more lol

I personally think we should have a wind direction and speed measure at the crest of the hill. Mainly for interest. After all this entire subject is practically without rules, no regulations and just for fun really.

RW
Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Chip

If we do start doing that, its going to lead to SO many more internet arguments between the various "camps"
Old 10-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

Contradiction thats a good word!

Last edited by Gatecrasher; 10-04-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:23 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Just to confirm some of what mike and dumped are saying.

Day 1. 165bhp at wheels, rsturbo wheels with 195 tyres. Car accelerated really quickly and pulled up to 149.9 easily. Without doubt a better wind condition day. Would even suggest it was tail wind. I backed off with loads of distance to go as I had only just removed my rev limiter and it hadn't been trialed at really high rpm on the rollers. So I decided with a 130k mile bottom end to back off. No doubt car would have pulled a bit more. Personal Estimation 2-5 mph. Probably the lower side of that scale cos I appreciate how much distance is disappearing per second and the fact the car isn't really that quick accel at 150 already.

(6 months later or something) Day 2. 195 at the wheels, better cooling system too. I ran 16 inch mondeo wheels, i forget what people call them no, maybe they are SI wheels? Which increased the gearing quite a considerable bit as the car was still running the std 205 high sidewall mondeo tyres Car accelerated okay ish, conditions we without doubt head wind. ran 150.1. It took me to braking STUPIDLY late to get there. If I had lifted at the same place as my day1. run I wouldnt have got more than say 145.

More power, higher gearing, better cooling at the end of the runway, worse wind conditions by quite some margin, MUCH MUCH MUCH later braking, .2mph more lol

I personally think we should have a wind direction and speed measure at the crest of the hill. Mainly for interest. After all this entire subject is practically without rules, no regulations and just for fun really.

RW
it doesn't matter that you had more power of bigger wheels or nearly the same speed terminal

the point is that the top end you reached on the earlier was much closer to the "optimum" you could have seen for that power, on that day, with those conditions and that gearing
the second time you went back things were vastly different so you would have been further from your "optimum" point

it's like bing a sprinter and doing the 100 metres in a set of trainers you are comfortable with
if you then decided to do the 200 metres in different shoes you can't compare the end resluts between the two runs as you have changed the fudemental basics of what you were testing against

you haven't gone there with just more power, you've changed the gearing overall with the wheels and you've up'd the power to hope to try and compensate and you've gone there on a different day
if you had upped the power on the day, or had used the bigger wheels on the day then you would have had back to back comparisons of what youhad done, on the day in question

and that is why you need to get a whole load of cars together on the same day to test them against each other or else you will have someone claiming one thing and someone else claiming another

there are lots of other points raised as well, the main one being that you need a run the other way to "correct" the wind assistance, but i don't think you can realistically do that at brunters, or at any other runway for that matter (althoguh i stand to be corrected here) which plays right into the hands of those who say there should be a "standardised distance" brigade so you've got your mile one way and the other and everything is safe wihtout the requirements for having a passenger telling you when to brake
Old 10-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Dojj, totally off topic... how do you pronounce your name?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

I call him Dojj. hth
Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Chip

I pronounce it "slim ginge"
Old 10-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Answer the question you muppets!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Chip

I call him dodge and it doesnt seem to offend him, but not sure if thats the correct way to say it or not TBH
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dojj
blah blah blah - some more obvious blah
Thanks for clearing that up, very helpful.

RW
Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

I call him dodge and it doesnt seem to offend him, but not sure if thats the correct way to say it or not TBH
me too
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

:Cry: i was thinking exactly the same.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Dojj, totally off topic... how do you pronounce your name?
dojj - (double space d.o.j.j.)

also know as the department for juvinile justice (which i may or may not have been an unwiling participant in when i was younger) when you search on the internet

but yes, pronounced dodge, as in "dodgy solinoid" where it originated from (an old AA advert) or dodge as in maker of american motor vehicles with big engines and somewhat terrible (as described by top gears very own presenters) handling

i don't mind people calling me doowj, dooge, doji even as it's a much easier way of pronouncing my name than the real true method (everyone gets that wrong so i've had to adapt to answering to the incorrect pronounciation version)

hope that clears matters up for everyone who has shown an intrest
Old 10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Nope... was only me...

maria was right and I was wrong... again.

Incidently a Q7 is also significantly larger than an X5
Old 10-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Chip

Nope... was only me...

maria was right and I was wrong... again.

Incidently a Q7 is also significantly larger than an X5
Wow, you two really are FILTHY with your pillow talk
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD YUM
There is a good chance this came lose after the lauches l did after the top speed runs.

It only controls boost nothing else and if it had been that lose there would of been no boost.

So get of my thread and go back to the Muppet room where you belong

And for the record the drinks didnt come out to the end of the day
wouldn't a leaking boost control pipe cause an increase in boost or are you running a twin port actuator
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Wow, you two really are FILTHY with your pillow talk

you should hear wat we say under the duvet then chip!! Its all torque ratios this.... CO2 emmissions that..... filth i tell ya!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by maria
you should hear wat we say under the duvet then chip!! Its all torque ratios this.... CO2 emmissions that..... filth i tell ya!
The sad thing is, that genuinely would turn me on.
(especially with it being the one Lee saying it to me)
Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by maria
You mean to say you share his bed BEFORE marriage - slut .

Quick Reply: Back From Brunters (Added Videos and Pictures page 4) Maybe Grudge Match Coming!!