General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

hpi check gone wrong, ( final update 21/5 )

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:40 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hpi check gone wrong, ( final update 21/5 )

just a little read for you people this is whats just happened with one of my mates,

I saw a vw golf eos in the auto trader and contacted the vendor asking for the reg number to hpi check the car.I then did the hpi online paying £19.99 and got the reply saying all was good and to give the v5 doc number in order to quallify for the hpi garantee.I then traveled to view the car in leicter test drove the car went into the vendors house called back hpi with the v5 at hand that came back all clean and we struck a deal for £12,000 pounds cash.
having done the correct procedure we drove back to sheffield and after 48 hours hpi called me back to inform me that the v5 was stolen.
Thay asked if i had bought the car and i replied yes of course you gave me the information on the car leading me to buy the car if id have known anything different off course i wouldnt have bought the car who would ?
that day we found out the car was cloned and the logbook stolen.
i was fuming and had the car taken by the police.I filled in a claim form to hpi and they have just sent us a letter back saying that they are not going to pay us out as follows

1)information they provide on the v5 is not covered by there garantee.
but when taking out the check it clearly states that you can not claim uner the garuntee if the number isnt given.

2)a discrepency on the millage.
when i did the check the first time online i put the millage in at 17,000 miles this throwing a discrepency as the millage was mor on to 18000 miles hpi have lied in this letter saying i never took this discrepency up any further and i have demanded the tape from them of our conversation talking clearly about the descrepency.they also say on this letter that they informed me of stolen v5s being in curculatian.
this being a lie too as i have a copy of there recording.
the dvla have also notified us that the v5 number was false an the issue date had never been issued by the dvla but the hpi failed to find this out after saying the dvla is there main source.
this should have never matched any car but i have all the paperwork from hpi and tapes saying the numbers supplyed v5 matches that of the dvla (lie)
that the v5 registratin document serial number is not recorded as stolen,forged,or duplicate (lie)
i have all these papers and tapes.
there is a few other things along the way too.

I feel very let down by hpi as they advertise them selves as the leading hpi company(THE ONLY CHECK YOU CAN RELY ON)
well not for us and this could also happen to others.

ive contacted watchdog does anyone think the papers would be interested ?

how can they get away with it? link to thread

Last edited by danneth; 26-06-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM
lardypants
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats awful, end of day you supplied the v5 serial number etc to hpi , i presume the car came with no history etc?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

have you not been back to the sellers house with lots of your mates, thats what I would be doing..

steve
Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i got to say is sorry to hear about this mate, life just aint fair sometimes, HPI are quick enough to take your cash,,,, just shows what big companys REALLY are like im afraid
Old 02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
lardypants
Banned

can i ask what were the vin plates as chassis number like on the car? did you check them? i presume it was a stolen car with cloned i.d
Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by lardypants
can i ask what were the vin plates as chassis number like on the car? did you check them? i presume it was a stolen car with cloned i.d
yes all vin plates and chassis numbers were fine on the car, even the police had a look around it when we took it too them and said they couldn't tell that there was anything wrong with it, and yes it was a clone..
Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So theres no way of getting your 12k back now?

If so i dont know what to say, thats just down right soul destroying.

Shit on them in the papers though mate, and watchdog would probably like to hear about it
Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 PM
abdr500
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i had this done to me but it was the police that stole my car as a clone /ringer but it took 7 month me fighting them off and yes i am injoying the pay out they gave me and my car back no Q plate nothing ......but then agine my car was not a clone it was what is suposed to be

Last edited by abdr500; 02-03-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by VW_08
So theres no way of getting your 12k back now?

If so i dont know what to say, thats just down right soul destroying.

Shit on them in the papers though mate, and watchdog would probably like to hear about it
watchdog already know about this and have been back in touch, just trying to get the story abit more coverage now and get it in some local papers etc
Old 02-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Thats shit
Old 02-03-2008, 04:12 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Good on you
Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

watchdog mate, anything you can do has got to be worth it, they must have insurances etc, and bad publicity may make them use it, good luck
Old 02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
lardypants
Banned

end of day you hpi'd the cloned id so would come back clean, you have gotta have them ont he v5 check, when v5s are made they have a serial number on them, then the cars details are printed on, so unless the thieves some how changed the serial number of the v5 hpi should of been alerted the minute you hpi'd it, unless of course some how the theives have someone inside stealing logbooks one at a time and they stole it and printed it a day or so before you bought the car, thats the only real reason i can see, you need to get hold of dvla find out when that v5 was stolen and reported
Old 02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

thats a right hard kick in the nuts to take. 12G down is no small matter .

Last edited by fuzzy; 02-03-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

but what about the sellers address?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Surely you have a bit of comeback from the seller? isn't he in the shit for selling a dodgy car?

12k is a hefty amount of money, try every avenue possible to get it back! Good luck.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
lammylama
Advanced PassionFord User

id perservere with watchdog/papers and if no joy go round there with a shit load of ppl and demand your 12k back.......thats ashit load of cash to lose!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
lardypants
Banned

i think i would of had a knife to his throat the day i lost the car no messing about, i would of loaded up all his possessions in a van fucking right 12k is a seriosu amount of money i really feel for you thats terrible
Old 02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

unless it was the old meeting him outside a house but not actually going in and just giving the impression that he lived there?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats shocking and quite worrying that it can happen so easily. So it came back clear with the V5 number, then the 'seller' had the correct number printed on the fake one, and the original car was reported stolen, then HPi contacted you? Or the V5 number given was completely different and was only picked up on after the check came out clear?

As said what about the sellers address? I assume you dealt with the seller in a different place or met up somewhere?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:59 PM
northerner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Seek legal advice.

Also, was the address on the log book the same as the address that the car was bought from?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:15 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by S1rst
Thats shocking and quite worrying that it can happen so easily. So it came back clear with the V5 number, then the 'seller' had the correct number printed on the fake one, and the original car was reported stolen, then HPi contacted you? Or the V5 number given was completely different and was only picked up on after the check came out clear?

As said what about the sellers address? I assume you dealt with the seller in a different place or met up somewhere?
no the seller was dealt with at his home address, the police apprantly know about this address for various reasons and have arrested him but his excuse is that are you ready for it? " the gypsys ( sp ) forced me to sell it or they was going to kill me :S

basically the dvla are blaming hpi and hpi are blaming the dvla.... now the watchdog have been back in touch etc see if we can get it in the public eye abit and then might get abit of the money back !?!?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by northerner
Seek legal advice.

Also, was the address on the log book the same as the address that the car was bought from?
yer the addy was the same, and they are well into the legal advice ££££
Old 02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

That sucks mate!
I only use Hpi as I like the guarantee but it seems as if that's a total waste of time!

Last edited by Physio; 02-03-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 PM
OldSkoolRS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

That is shit luck, I don't like getting filthed for £12 let alone £12k. Sounds like this geezer is obviously well dodgy, puts you off buying a car privately really.

If its any conselation my car got clamped last night at 2am and the bastards wanted £140 to remove it.... like fuck!!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lammylama
id perservere with watchdog/papers and if no joy go round there with a shit load of ppl and demand your 12k back.......thats ashit load of cash to lose!!!

too right...
Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Conditions to be met in order to make a claim from HPI (from their site)

Here is a summary of the main conditions:
  • You need to carry out the HPI Check yourself, before you buy the vehicle - the Guarantee is not transferable.
  • You must supply us with the Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM) and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to be eligible for maximum cover available under the HPI Guarantee. The HPI Guarantee will not apply if we advise you that the VRM does not match the VIN, so make sure the information you supply is accurate (pay particular attention to '5's and 'S's, '2's and 'Z's).
  • Before you buy the vehicle, you must make sure that all vehicle details provided by HPI match both the vehicle and its accompanying paperwork, and notify us of any discrepancies. As a minimum, you must obtain and check the V5 registration document with us, using our Document Check facility, prior to purchase.
  • You must check that all the VIN markings on the vehicle match each other and the corresponding V5 registration document.
  • You must keep and produce to us on request a written receipt for your purchase, signed by the seller, containing the key information needed to identify the seller and the vehicle (e.g. the seller's name and address, the identity and mileage of the vehicle purchased, the date of purchase and the amount you paid).
  • If you are buying the vehicle privately, you must buy it from the keeper, at the address shown on the V5. You must also check the identity of the seller.
  • You must buy the vehicle in a reasonably prudent manner (for example - claims will not be considered if you have paid 30% below the retail market value).
  • The cover provided is based on the car's value. In the case where HPI provides incorrect data affecting vehicle title (such as theft or outstanding finance), the HPI Guarantee will cover up to £30,000, either in compensation or the costs needed to obtain good title to the vehicle (at HPI's discretion). In the case where HPI provides incorrect data affecting the vehicle's condition, the HPI Guarantee will cover up to £15,000 or 50% of the market value of the car, whichever is the lower.
  • The HPI Guarantee does not cover the vehicle's descriptive information (including import status), mileage, value, V5 registration document checks, or if the loss has arisen as a result of a fraudulent transaction.
  • The HPI Guarantee is valid for two years from the date of the check.
  • The vehicle must be bought and registered in mainland Britain (i.e. it excludes Northern Ireland). If it has been imported, HPI does not guarantee its history prior to arrival in this country.
  • If you make a claim under the HPI Guarantee, we reserve the right to inspect the vehicle and to make the final decision as to its condition and value.

Can't see where you went wrong.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

12k cash,thats illegal is it not?money laundering laws in the uk?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

hey u may get lucky and uve got the genuine motor and the other on running about is cloned ?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cosworth Rallyesport
Really? I paid cash for my escos, and have always paid that kind of money for cars in cash.

I thought dealers/traders had a limit on what they could take in cash but assumed there would be no limit for a private sale?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Originally Posted by Cosworth Rallyesport

we both no it Tim, but its seems hard to track down,especially with pikeys getting some
cock to flog bent motors, thats why spending 12k @BCA or Manheim seems better sometimes, at least the indemnity is cast iron, i feel sorry for the fella who has had his
pants yanked down, i would at the very least go to their Hq (hpi) and stand outside with
a placard saying you have been stitched up
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
PinkRinse
PassionFord Regular

Is there something wrong with hpi check at the moment (e.g. not as good as its supposed to be) because a friend of mine is trying to sell his ST and a potential customer did a check using the hpicheck website and it came back with a mileage of well over 51K but its done less than 26K in 3 years!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

if you put the miles in on a v5 when buying and at some stage on a hpi or another v5 sent to the dvla,there is a discrepancy on the miles it shows up as a alert, your mate may be driving a car that has had a hair cut.
its amazing how some people buy with no history and think its kosher miles cos the bloke said so
Old 04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you get it sorted fella! Sounds like a right pain in the arris!

Originally Posted by cozzfather
we both no it Tim, but its seems hard to track down,especially with pikeys getting some
cock to flog bent motors, thats why spending 12k @BCA or Manheim seems better sometimes, at least the indemnity is cast iron, i feel sorry for the fella who has had his
AFAIK it's not actually illegal to make a payment of more than 15,000 euros in cash, it's normally down to the companies individual policies of not accepting. I believe they have to make Customs and Excise aware and all the associated hassle involved with that! It'll take longer to sort that out than for a cheque to clear I'd imagine and just not worth fucking about with!

And the indemnity on a car bought at auction is worth even less than the HPi thing, but Auction law is totally different to buying from a business or privately and gives you clean title anyway[on whatever you've bought]. All the laws are readily available on the internet and worth reading

And for those worried about mileage discrepancies. They crop up all the time on HPi checks, even on 1 owner cars. 9 times out of 10 it's down to some numpty data inputter and can be resolved easily.

Incidentally, we don't use HPi anymore rather we use Experian [part of Equifax]. They're much the same though and the main reason after it being cheaper is that the indemnities are actually good!

Last edited by Paddy; 04-03-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 29-04-2008, 09:24 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Did he ever get any further with this out of interest?

Bloody hope so.
Old 29-04-2008, 09:57 PM
koram
Virgin

A few years ago I bought a 6 month old car. Went for its first MOT and was told it had a couple of discrpencies. HPI checked it myself all be it 2.5 years to late to be told it didnt add up. Started to panic and called garage where car came from who said it was fine. Couple of days later HPI called back and reported someone had typed original details in wrong at DVLA. The garage obviously didnt have much of a clue either as the parts required were German and not the UK ones they tried to fit.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:14 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
And the indemnity on a car bought at auction is worth even less than the HPi thing, but Auction law is totally different to buying from a business or privately and gives you clean title anyway[on whatever you've bought]. All the laws are readily available on the internet and worth reading
are you saying that if you buy a stolen car from an auction, you can keep it?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

little update, the guy has no been in court and pleaded guilty to be part of this as well as quite a few other cars hes just awaiting sentencing.... so can now take action against him to try and get money back

after trying to compramise with hpi for quite a while and getting no where.... hpi are also been taken to court which should be in the next few week although my mate doesn't have to much faith as hpi have already said " take us to court we will just send our best law team "
Old 15-03-2009, 11:08 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

quick update

talk about a long drawn out procedure, it was just about to go into court now HPI want to mediate to see if they can come to some kind of agreement ( shocker ) so should be meeting next week
Old 15-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Umi

make sure you get every last penny of the hpi bastards! Good Luck

Quick Reply: hpi check gone wrong, ( final update 21/5 )