General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any Diabetics

Search this Thread

Old 23-11-2007, 01:26 PM
B16
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Diabetics

on here had trouble with the DVLA and there licence.
Paul
Old 23-11-2007, 01:57 PM
PinkRinse
PassionFord Regular

The bf filled out the appropriate bits and got his back just telling him how he'd need to renew it more often than I would and that was that. All very easy really. Why?
Old 23-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Rs Gary
PassionFord Regular

i have a 3 year licence,you will have no trouble if you go to the diabetic clinic once a year and have your eyes checked as well,this is all done at the local hospital normally,if you do not go to the clinic the dvla will NOT issue a licence untill the consultant has seen you and sends in a medical report
cheeRS gary
AKA shrek
Old 23-11-2007, 02:49 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

I have just been told i have Type II diabetes, am I supposed to inform DVLA or anyone else for that matter????

Cheers Fiona
Old 23-11-2007, 04:03 PM
geoffxr4

Never had any problems with DVLA. Am on a 3 year licence that gets renewed etc. Biggest problem i have is with stupid dr's who work in the diabetic clinic but have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It's crazy, last year the junior dr couldn't even turn on the light on her instrument to check my eyes and gave up in the end.

This year i had the new consultant tell me i've lost the ability to tell if my blood sugar level is going low, therefore making it more dangerous to drive. I can't stress enough the fact that his statements were COMPLETELY unfounded. He's never met me before and came out with all this bollocks. I basically told him he was talking rubbish and after 10 years of beign diabetic i know my condition better than he does. It might sound arrogant to contradict the dr but i do have a masters degree in medical physics and do know what i'm talking about. I am fortunate in that i do get plenty of warning if my levels go low and monitor myself to an almost obsessive level that i know what my levels are throughout the day. The reality is that a small percentage of people get reduced sensitivity over time, but i'm fortunate in that i'm ok. Anyway, i left thinking that this guy was an idiot. My brother went in next and the dr threatened to not renew his licence because of his reduced sensitivity! It's absolute nonsense, but he'd obvisouly just read an article on it or something. It's a real shame but the level of incompetence out there is staggering
Old 23-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Evorich
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by lawnsy
I have just been told i have Type II diabetes, am I supposed to inform DVLA or anyone else for that matter????

Cheers Fiona
hi fiona its richy johns mate with the white evo 6 sorry to hear you have this, i also have diabettes type 1 insulin dependent if you want any advice so to speak just let me know.

i get a form through the post off the dvla asking me to renew my license every 3 years, they can also contact your gp so make sure your checks are up to date.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
B16

Hi everyone that put messages on about this subject, I haven't been on since I started it up.
The reason I asked was because I had my licence revoked by the DVLA April 2006. I used to get the forms from them every three years fill them in and then get my new licence back from them for the next three years. Until last year when they told me to go for an Esterman eye test which tests your peripheral vision. I ended up with a narrow fail, vision should be 120degrees and mine was 110degrees. So I got a letter back from DVLA saying they were not going to renew my licence because of this.
I have spent my time since then appealing against there decision only to find out recently I have lost my appeal.
Wondered if anyone was in the same boat about this.
Paul
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Man that's rough, sorry to hear this.
Bloke i worked with lost his licence in the same way, was his peripheral vision that failed him.
Well in fact he lost his hgv entitlement, but could still drive cars, am unsure of the in's and out's to be honest.
When you think of some of the old people on the roads, you'd be safer than 99% of them I'm sure
Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM
B16

Tell me about. He is very lucky to be still driving apart from his HGV of course. What happened about his job?

Paul
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lost his job mate, couldn't drive the wagons so couldn't do the job.
Didn't help that he wasn't liked, but still, poor chap going blind then loses his job, couldn't wish that on anyone.

Seems rough on you, there could be a lot of people with poor peripheral vision, yet the L test just covers a number plate read from 25 metres or whatever the distance is; so an ok drive and you pass, who's to know.

I presume when going through the appeal you sought help from CAB etc?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Rs Gary
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by B16
Hi everyone that put messages on about this subject, I haven't been on since I started it up.
The reason I asked was because I had my licence revoked by the DVLA April 2006. I used to get the forms from them every three years fill them in and then get my new licence back from them for the next three years. Until last year when they told me to go for an Esterman eye test which tests your peripheral vision. I ended up with a narrow fail, vision should be 120degrees and mine was 110degrees. So I got a letter back from DVLA saying they were not going to renew my licence because of this.
I have spent my time since then appealing against there decision only to find out recently I have lost my appeal.
Wondered if anyone was in the same boat about this.
Paul
shit man that aint good ,i have been a diabetic for 26 years now(type1)if i lost my licence i would be most upset,is there any way you can take the eye test again as you were so close to the pass rate
cheeRS gary
AKA shrek
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
B16

My appeal was directly with the DVLA, they let me spend 19 months fighting this. I had a lot of help from my consultant at the hospital but all to no avail. I have had several tests and they all came out the same with 110 so I am consistant, but not good enough for them.
Never thought about CAB perhaps wwill give them a call tomorrow.
One thing that pisses me off is someone with one eye but 120 in the other eye is allowed to drive. What's that all about.

Paul