General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any Arborists?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Arborists?

Huge blue conifer in my mums garden has a presevation order on it.

Some gipos knocked on the door asking did we want some chopping off, and we did, get on with it. They chopped too much off and killed the tree It was getting too big and out of control anyway so they did us a favour.

Spoke to the council, at first they wanted to prosecute us but finally they have agreed it can be felled if a new 3 metre one takes its place.

However, they have asked for it to be felled to British Standard Blah blah and for a proper tree bloke to do it (I was going to ask the gipo's back!)

This is going to be dear isnt it!

My mum lives alone and is in her 60's, so cant afford loads, was thinking of going back to the council with a quote saying she cant afford it?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A TPO on a conifer?

I cant believe the council want it replaced with one thats 3 metres Theres not many places to get them from that wont break the bank....Tell the council guy next time he comes round that its in the post and your Mums waiting for delivery
Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Cut it down and don't tell em fuck all! Dunno why you went to em in the first place! If they come round (seeing as you told em about it) and you've cut it down, tell em it was nicked (tell em the pikeys who chopped it stole it) and when they insist you get another, tell em to do one!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
pollocks
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Re: Any Arborists?

Originally Posted by topaz
Huge blue conifer in my mums garden has a presevation order on it.

Some gipos knocked on the door asking did we want some chopping off, and we did, get on with it. They chopped too much off and killed the tree It was getting too big and out of control anyway so they did us a favour.

Spoke to the council, at first they wanted to prosecute us but finally they have agreed it can be felled if a new 3 metre one takes its place.

However, they have asked for it to be felled to British Standard Blah blah and for a proper tree bloke to do it (I was going to ask the gipo's back!)

This is going to be dear isnt it!

My mum lives alone and is in her 60's, so cant afford loads, was thinking of going back to the council with a quote saying she cant afford it?
mate I did my apprencticeship in this when 16 and now run the tree department at a large landscapers with over 100 employees at this yard alone

and my advice to you is just to get it chopped down for as cheap as possible and to wack somet in that looks alive like alimb from another conifer and stake it when they come there happy with it -if you pick a decent looking limb that is or just chcuk somet in smaller thats an actual tree lol

they go through all this council approved bull shit but on the most the lads don't stay at the companys they work for for long and the boss's never check there work as long as there getting paid

so its very easy to get council approved and then have lads work for you who are proper tree butchers and not proper arborists any other questions feel free
Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

whats the british standard thing all about? will i have to have the roots removed etc?

here is a pic of the pikey who killed it (in the tree) to show you the size of it...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 PM
pollocks

ah as i thought its an atlantic blue cedar you don't get that many of these to a good maturity in this country really

what they mean by to british standards and etc is that they want you to use someone whos qualified to there standard which is usually NPTC and then insured sufficiently mate
Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

question 1
why tell the council in the first place?

question 2
was it undermining the foundations in the house?

question 3
how big a hole is there going to be when you finally get this stum removed? assuming they want the tree stump removed

question 4
can you turn it into a table? the stump i mean?

question 5
how long have the council given you to get the work done?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

question 1
why tell the council in the first place?

it has a TPO on it and my mum wanted permission to chop it down as it is now dead

question 2
was it undermining the foundations in the house?

no

question 3
how big a hole is there going to be when you finally get this stum removed? assuming they want the tree stump removed

no idea

question 4
can you turn it into a table? the stump i mean?

not really, see pic

question 5
how long have the council given you to get the work done?

1 year
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM
dojj

question 6
when did the presevation order go iin and what were the grounds of the order?

question 7
is one year a reasonable time in which to get the wrok done?

question 8
will the council foot the bill if it's not done?

question 9
how likely are they going to be to prosecute a 60 year old lady living at home who let someone trim her tree because she couldn't see out the window properly?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

My garden had a load of big trees and I was told there were TPO's on them when I bought the house. Whilst buying the house my solicitor found out they didn't have TPO's and instead had Planning consent orders on the trees in my garden which apprently was for the builders Bovis, so when I moved in I had the council round none of them where 'specimen trees' and they gave me permission to remove 5 of them as long as I replaced them with other trees, they even said they didn't need to be put back in the same locations. I still to this day never replaced them and that was three years ago
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

question 6
when did the presevation order go iin and what were the grounds of the order?

It was around 13 years ago, the reason it came about was that next door but 1 had a huge conker tree in the front garden, he chopped it down and changed the outlook of the street forever.

question 7
is one year a reasonable time in which to get the wrok done?

pass

question 8
will the council foot the bill if it's not done?

doubt it

question 9
how likely are they going to be to prosecute a 60 year old lady living at home who let someone trim her tree because she couldn't see out the window properly?

no idea, they had already threatened court action and send a inspector round to have a look, if their isntructions are followed my mum will evade prosecution
Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
dojj

looks like you are going to have to fork out for soem work to be done then mate

it's probably been an honest mistake, but you can't get the pikeys back to cover it unles you want to send the picture to the coulcil
but they know where you live and might make you life a bit difficult
Old 11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a tree larger than this removed by a licensed tree surgeon, cost me £100 about two years ago, took two of them 3 hours to do it, neighbour said(I was away), only thing I could find was a tiny 5" long twig where it had been felled, best £100 ever.
tabetha
ps it was in the deeds so was not allowed to chop it, council moaned(someone dobbed), so I pointed out it was hazard to traffic and pedestrians, and would they like any lawsuits.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
pollocks

yeah i can see some one pulling there van up with chipper on to the side of the road one lad spikes the tree removing everything as go throwing to pavement and then the second lad chips it as they go towards the end start to make a brash pile with the last few branchs and then just disc it down as you come back down on the spikes max of 1hr 30 mins to me mate

looking at £100 -£150 in my eyes maximum

and alot of tree stuff is bollocks really you can get away with so much its untrue
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

what about stump removal? I know thats a pain but what are we looking at to get it removed? or should I try the chemical thing on to rot the roots and get it removed next year, remember I have a year to plant a new one.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
dojj

cut the thing down enough to make it into a table
and use the wood to make the bench that goes with it

new yankee workshop stylee
Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM
dojj

one mroe thing
when you plant the new tree, make sure it's in a spot that offers the most amount of shade for the table and chairs
Old 18-09-2007, 10:16 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

quoted £200+vat to remove and also to grind the stump to BS standards

told them to get on with it, they are doing it in a few weeks

Old 18-09-2007, 10:31 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we could have done that between us