General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

COIL PACK CONVERSION V's GROUP A COIL

Search this Thread

Old 30-08-2007, 09:43 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COIL PACK CONVERSION V's GROUP A COIL

been thinking of converting to a coil pack but what are the main advantages?
have heard its supposed to be more reliable due to getting rid of the dizzy but you still need to keep the phase sensor so as far as i can see as long as you keep the roter arm & cap in good order there should be no difference. also have heard some people have had reliability issues with the driver board. I could forgve a 15 year old ecu packing up but not a new product.
btw my car has no misfire issues whatsoever at 24 psi & started first time after being stripped & rebuilt, still with the original coil. just trying to find something else to do to it
Old 30-08-2007, 10:00 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Best conversion you could ever do to a cossie,more powerful spark and no moving parts or gaps to lose its power........

Will knock the group A coil into a cocked hat,and as for reliability problems i have never heard of any serious probs,think the very few that there were happened to the old style version 1 boards...My car was completely different once it had been converted and i had never had previous misfires either....
Old 30-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

My grp a one was better to be honest, bigger plug gaps....

Changed due to missfire but thats been fixed with an engine rebuild LOL
Old 30-08-2007, 10:07 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dingy

group a coil or coil pack conversion?
Old 30-08-2007, 10:11 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by The Diva
Best conversion you could ever do to a cossie,more powerful spark and no moving parts or gaps to lose its power........

Will knock the group A coil into a cocked hat,and as for reliability problems i have never heard of any serious probs,think the very few that there were happened to the old style version 1 boards...My car was completely different once it had been converted and i had never had previous misfires either....
still have the same gaps though, phase sensor & plugs
everyone who has converted seams to have done it because they have had problems with mssfires etc, I havn't. None of my friends cars have had a coil pack conversion and none feel the need. the cars get used very hard mostly on track and no one has any misfire issues. all are very highly maintained though and not used a a daily hack
Old 30-08-2007, 10:29 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IANS2RST

everyone who has converted seams to have done it because they have had problems with mssfires etc, I havn't. None of my friends cars have had a coil pack conversion and none feel the need. the cars get used very hard mostly on track and no one has any misfire issues. all are very highly maintained though and not used a a daily hack
no spark goes across the phase sensor . My saff on a T4 running 2.5bar has no problems on the wasted spark driver, I think it is a better option if you are running stg 3 + power, as it stops the spark getting blown out if you are running a decent plug gap. The other benefit is that it tidies the engine bay up nicely

Worth doing IMHO, but as you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but as far as the product reliability goes, I think you will struggle to find a better % of success / failure than most cossie products, and MSD will always be at the end of a phone to help you out, so don't worry about the after sales as Stu and Kenny have a great reputation in that respect
Old 30-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

group a coil or coil pack conversion?
Bigger on GRP A single coil...
Old 30-08-2007, 10:39 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: COIL PACK CONVERSION V's GROUP A COIL

been thinking of converting to a coil pack but what are the main advantages?
have heard its supposed to be more reliable due to getting rid of the dizzy but you still need to keep the phase sensor so as far as i can see as long as you keep the roter arm & cap in good order there should be no difference. also have heard some people have had reliability issues with the driver board. I could forgve a 15 year old ecu packing up but not a new product.
btw my car has no misfire issues whatsoever at 24 psi & started first time after being stripped & rebuilt, still with the original coil. just trying to find something else to do to it
if it aint broke dont mend it mate ! ive had both coilpack is best but if you dont have misfire issues then theres no need
Old 30-08-2007, 10:56 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

phase sensor still needs to gapped correctly
also as for % sucess rate i think the standard ecu & dizzy set up will beat the wasted spark driver hands down. not knocking the product, but its long term reliability has not been proven and from the relatively small number of people that have them there have been failures.
swinging more towards putting a group a coil on as then at least if something fails it can be fixed quickly.

has anyone done any back to back tests peformance wise on a car that had no problems?????

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

no spark goes across the phase sensor . My saff on a T4 running 2.5bar has no problems on the wasted spark driver, I think it is a better option if you are running stg 3 + power, as it stops the spark getting blown out if you are running a decent plug gap. The other benefit is that it tidies the engine bay up nicely

Worth doing IMHO, but as you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but as far as the product reliability goes, I think you will struggle to find a better % of success / failure than most cossie products, and MSD will always be at the end of a phone to help you out, so don't worry about the after sales as Stu and Kenny have a great reputation in that respect
Old 30-08-2007, 11:02 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

keep your dizzy so that you can alter the spark timing
Old 30-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

phase sensor still needs to gapped correctly
The TPS, CPS, MAPS, ACT and ECT need to work too. What has that got to do with your ignition system?

also as for % sucess rate i think the standard ecu & dizzy set up will beat the wasted spark driver hands down. not knocking the product, but its long term reliability has not been proven and from the relatively small number of people that have them there have been failures.
Well over 150 out there now. Exactly What failures are you referring to i recall we had ONE about a year ago.?
Old 30-08-2007, 11:12 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car used to go thru plugs all the time until i had the coil pack conversion fitted.

No had one single missfire with this conversion.

RWD_cossie_wil
the spark doesnt get blown out...it just doest have enough energy to jump the gap with increased cylinder pressures
Old 30-08-2007, 11:14 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

How much to buy and is it a diy job other than the driver ?
Old 30-08-2007, 11:15 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

all i want to know are the benefits from spending another 400 quid on my car.
all the driver does away with is the rotar arm & cap which are simple fixes if they go wrong unlike this driver
i have seen more than 1 post on here about someones car that wouldn't start & the driver had to be changed.
by long term reliabilty i mean a lot more than a year, the car sometimes doesn't get used for a couple of months & i want to be able to drive it when i want
Is there any benefit at all to me to upgrade a car that doesn't have ignition problems??
Old 30-08-2007, 11:21 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

I very much doubt stu would sell this if it hadn't been thoroughly well engineered and thought out m8.
Old 30-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Driver is DIY too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Old 30-08-2007, 11:22 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Driver is DIY too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Cheers stu .
Old 30-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

all i want to know are the benefits from spending another 400 quid on my car.
all the driver does away with is the rotar arm & cap which are simple fixes if they go wrong unlike this driver
i have seen more than 1 post on here about someones car that wouldn't start & the driver had to be changed.
by long term reliabilty i mean a lot more than a year, the car sometimes doesn't get used for a couple of months & i want to be able to drive it when i want
Is there any benefit at all to me to upgrade a car that doesn't have ignition problems??
You sound like you have convinced yourself your dont want one, so why spend the cash pal?
Old 30-08-2007, 11:40 AM
IANS2RST
PassionFord Post Troll

i will spend the cash if its worthwhile which is why i asked
give me your best sales pitch please
Old 30-08-2007, 11:50 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought you needed the cam timing sensor added or is that for something else?
Old 30-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you only need that IF you decode to remove the dizzy altogether which means loosing the phase sensor - hence the reloaction of it to the cam cover - but this looks a bit messy IMO
Old 30-08-2007, 04:08 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the coilpack is a ace thing if you have problems, if not it is a wodge of money to spend when compared to aftermarket 3d ecu, that can do away with dizzy altogether, WITHOUT cam sensor if wanted, ie BATCH fired.
This also has the added advantage of closed loop plus host of other features, and as cossie sensors etc are becoming or will be harder to get, can use (if right ecu) any sensor type or value, and DIY refference adjustability.
Saying that anyone that does have issues with misfires may derive great benefit from coilpack as it is a well tested thought out product, if you don't want to go for extra bits on the ecu.
Stu's service is second to none, which is very reassuring.
tabetha
Old 30-08-2007, 04:22 PM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the two major components (which are prone to failure) a coilpack removes is the distributor cap and rotor arm, IMO its these components manufactures looked to remove as technology progressed and which should be embraced by somebody looking to upgrade.

Electronic switching rather than mechanical components get my vote every time....

We have just finished a retro build (zetec into a sunbeam) on an aftermarket ignition only ecu on a coilpack..with twin 45 carbs...it starts every time and runs as sweet as a nut....mostly down to the coilpack...

Ian
Old 30-08-2007, 04:29 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coipacks were actually done due to COST as it is cheaper for manufacturers to fit, than a dizzy/coil/ etc.
They have lots of added advantages though.
tabetha
Old 30-08-2007, 04:35 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

never had coil packs so i cant comment,but i've never had a problem with dissy...........i change cap and arm every year and now that i have the original leads back on the car is better than ever...dont know what gap u run on packs but i have a group A coil and run .75mm
Old 30-08-2007, 05:47 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

im on group a,motorsport leads and no issues since but im going to go coilpack later in year,its alot more modern imo
Old 30-08-2007, 06:06 PM
toff
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Ill find out the diff soon as mine is being done . Stu has my Ecu as we speak

Group A coil could be for sale
Old 30-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's hard to justify the benefits unless you get very technical. Suffice to say, it such a good mod. I never had any miss-fire's etc, but when i went to coil pack from grp a coil, i could notice the difference straight away. Easier starting, ultra smooth idle, rock solid timing - the car feels crisper. The ignition system is overlooked in the UK, and yet it is so important. With coil packs, you are getting more energy to the charge mixture, which gives it the best chance of thorough combustion.

Rick.
Old 30-08-2007, 06:31 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
that can do away with dizzy altogether, WITHOUT cam sensor if wanted, ie BATCH fired.

tabetha
i'd like to see that on the standard 4 lug crank pulley
Old 31-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

I have far too much on to get in to a technical essay on ignition systems but anyone who has chance to roller their car before and after, please look at the HCs of a 400bhp flat out from say, 3500 - 7000rpm in 4th before and AFTER a wasted spark conversion. If you have a keen ear, you may actually notice it even SOUNDS different.

Your questions will be answered.

The YB is PLAGUED with ignition gremlins. Those of you who dont have any, well done, but next time your at the pod, listen to all the shonky YBs missfiring and farting and running rough at high revs. Quite frankly its fooking embarassing. lol
Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just fitted mine, and I have to say, one of the easier conversions I have taken on!

Did exactly what was said on the tin. I wisely allowed someone else to do the Soldering for me (due to having fuckwit hands in this regard ROFL) (Cue thankyou to Kenny at MSD - you are a legend! )

Well pleased with the conversion. I have gone from a Grp A Single Coil to this, and it feels significantly better overall. Cannot believe how easy the conversion was!

I see it as a money saving device - now I wont be needing to buy Rotor Arms and Caps

JJ
Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

arm and cap....Ł20 once a year........twice if u wanna splash out....hardly breaks the bank.........
Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ROFL - It was said tongue in cheek!

JJ
Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i haven't even got a group a coil (running standard)

perhaps i should be getting one?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 AM
puddy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

The YB is PLAGUED with ignition gremlins. Those of you who dont have any, well done, but next time your at the pod, listen to all the shonky YBs missfiring and farting and running rough at high revs. Quite frankly its fooking embarassing. lol
Gotta agree with that

I stuck with dizzy setup and american msd digital6 ignition system,

absolutely no misfires with this setup,huge sparks !

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...47836_-1_10385

"The heart of the Digital-6 Plus Ignition is a 15 Megahertz microcontroller, the fastest of all digital ignitions. What this means is the controller analyzes up to 15,000,000 critical instructions per second! This is over three times the speed of comparable ignitions and produces the most accurate trigger signals, timing and rev limits possible. MSD engineers have spent an endless amount of time testing the components of the Digital-6 Plus to ensure the most efficient and reliable operation. The 6 Plus produces more power with less current draw (20% less) by incorporating an IGBT coil driver that can be controlled for improved coil saturation. Also, power MOSFET technology and high frequency magnetic converters require less input current while producing more energy and voltage. Every spark of the Digital-6 Plus ignition is packed with 135 millijoules of spark energy and up to 535 volts. When used with the MSD Blaster HVC Coil, PN 8252, a spark with over 300 milliamps burns across the plug gap for 400 microseconds. Below 3,300 rpm the Digital-6 Plus produces a series of sparks that glows in the cylinder for up to 20° of crankshaft rotation. This incredible heat ensures combustion to produce great power, quick throttle response, smooth idle and quick starts. To prevent any chance of Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) a filter circuit is made up of state-of-the-art magnetic suppressor components. This, combined with the more than competent microcontroller, checks and rechecks inputs many times to determine “clean” signals before making any compensations. The magnetic input also features a unique microcontrolled feedback circuit for total EMI-free operation. CARB legal in all 50-states via EO #D-40-31."

sweeeeeet!

puddy
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gingeRS
i haven't even got a group a coil (running standard)

perhaps i should be getting one?

I could never tell the difference between my std coil and my group A coil (other than the GP A one was cheaper than the std coil to replace IIRC!).

There is a notable difference between the GP A coil and the distributorless setup. I am extremely pleased that I have fitted it, and extremely annoyed that I took so long to come round to it! ROFL

I have been toying with the idea of doing it pretty much since Stu announced it! but because I am a bit of a scatter-brain kept putting it off for other things.

Now I have done it, the car feels much better. And I would re-emphasise that I did NOT have an issue with misfire!, and am running a reasonable spec.

JJ
Old 05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Turbo lag
Advanced PassionFord User

Puddy have you got any pics of the MSD installed on your car

Dave.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Is it just me or are you contradicting yourself there mate????
Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
NUNOOKS
Part of the Furniture

just ordered a coilpack today off MSD , as im running around 400hp on a std coil, and the miss fires that my car has every now and again does my head in, hope it makes a difference.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:58 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage19

Is it just me or are you contradicting yourself there mate????
Anything MSD do Dingy tries to shoot down ...... But I suppose an engine re-build is cheaper than a dizzyless set up

Having seen and been in NUMEROUS friends cars and owning 2 cossies that MSD have set up, I can hand on heart say anything that Stu & Kenny sell is a vast improvment over standard gear, and the closed loop and dizzyless systems drag the YB into the 21st century Let alone the ALS and launch control for L8 they are now selling

As Stu has said in a previous post, no one is forcing the guy to buy it, so why people feel the need to make stupid comments when they have not even tried the product is beyond me, but it seems to be par for the course lately

Quick Reply: COIL PACK CONVERSION V's GROUP A COIL