General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

New DVLA 'TAX' on SORN and Classic, and even the disabled

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Mazda Man
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DVLA 'TAX' on SORN and Classic, and even the disabled

DVLA Plan to Introduce Annual "Registration Tax" on all Vehicles

New Tax to Hit "Laid Up" Classics and Disabled Drivers

A consultation document recently issued by the DVLA details plans to introduce a new tax on all cars registered on their system, even ones that are not used on the road by their owners.

The "Fee Proposals" consultation, which closes on 8 November, claims the new tax is necessary to cover the costs of issuing photo licences to all drivers, as required by the European Union.

An annual fee of £4.50 is proposed on all vehicles kept on the DVLA's computer. For most cars used on the road, this extra tax will be collected with the Vehicle Excise Duty (formerly called road tax).

However, it will also apply to disabled drivers, pre-1973 classics and cars kept off road under the SORN (Statutory off Road Notification) regulations. None of these categories currently pay VED, so this will be an entirely new and separate tax.

"This means that people are going to have to pay tax to keep their own vehicles in their own garage," said ABD spokesman Nigel Humphries. "£4.50 a year may not sound much, in fact it hardly seems worth the DVLA's trouble to collect it where this cannot be done through VED. But it's a dangerous precedent, and a matter of principle. Why should we pay anything for the details of our property merely to be held on someone's computer?"

Enthusiasts often have several cars kept off road - future projects, possible parts cars, "saved" cars they hope to pass on to others to restore - and they will have to write out and send off a separate cheque for each vehicle every year, as the off-the-road anniversary of registration arises. The DVLA will then have to bank them. That's a lot of trouble and expense for nothing, and how much will the DVLA have left of the money after it has administered this bureaucratic leviathan on behalf of one hapless individual?

"And who is to say that the fee will remain at £4.50?" continued Humphries. "The government has a long history of introducing taxes at low levels and then increasing them year on year, and people are reluctant to trust their assurances. This new registration tax gives them a mechanism for abolishing VED, adding the cost of this to fuel tax and then increasing the registration fee, automatically wiping out the benefits enjoyed by ultra low mileage classic car owners and disabled drivers alike, as well as creating a punitive charge for those storing cars off road. That is why it is to be resisted."

The ABD calls on the DVLA to see sense and desist from penalising classic car owners, disabled drivers and car collectors with this pointless and bureaucratic system. Motorists pay £36 billion a year to the government in motoring related taxes. If the European Union wants photo licences there is plenty here to pay for it.

Note - Consultation document is available at

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consul...df_summary.htm

Consultation responses to donna.woods@dvla.gsi.gov.uk by 8/11/04
Old 30-09-2004, 02:19 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

the mother fookin government.

I for one aint gonna pay em any more money - govt takes enough of it as it is
Old 30-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fooking does me head in the dvla, always trying to get extra money out of ya

everyone has to foking pay for photocard licences, ya now have to pay to change ya license when ya pass ya test too now and have to pay to have points removed, pay to reapply for ya licence when ya recive a ban

all ya do is fooking pay

i even got done for not sorning my vehicle when its not been on the road for 4 months

i asked em on the phone was told basicly thats tough, oay up 60odd quid

i sent a letter requesting to go to court and it was then canceled and my own cheque was sent back to me

if i never fought i would have payed out 60 odd quid for a car thats in my own garage

sorry but we are always getting screwed in this country and its everyone who says well its just this or how hard is it to do a sorn, to avoid the fine

they wanna fooking fine ya hence why ya gott renew it every year, also why they DONT have to send a reminder, they sometimes dont send em out , most times they do though ( mmmmmmmmmm fair one that is )
Old 30-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Mazda Man

you gotta pay the 'TAX' ontop of ta rod tax too.. so if you own a car... you GOTTA pay it!

BS!
Old 30-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

well depends tbh, after a while the fine can be not much off the tax, for example in the west end of london parking is 5 quid a hour, max stay 2 hours thats 10 quid, you wanna be in the west end all day, ya arrive at 730am, ya leaving at 11pm

ya cant stay longer that 2 hours so ya gotta keep leaving ya job and moving ya car to another meter every 2 hours or risk a 50 quid fine

sorry but park on a single yellow line with a note in the window saying ya broken down and all ya get is a ticket, 50 quid and if ya dont do it a lot ya can write off and appeal and get a letter of a garage who recovered ya and get it quashed

now then 5 quid a hour 830am to 630 pm,whats that work out as , its 50 quid but a shite load more hassle

infact tio park in a safe multistorey carpark is gonna cost ya a grand total of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,, 48.50

yeah i know what i do when i gotta be there all day

thinka bout it

a 18yer old driver of a cossie who uses it for shows and meets, maybe weekends would pay 3 grand insurance per year minimum yeah

fine for no insurance 200 quid , ok ya get 6 points too but if ya dont use it a lot do the gamble, how many times ya gotta be stoped to make it like ya loose paying the fine

sorry mate as much as i hate to admit it the honest people are the ones who get fooked and screwed over as ya always saying thankyou

if nobody payed the speeding ticket fines cause by gatsos and only payed the fines when the copper stoped em then they would rip the gatsos back out the floor

oh and the fine for no payment of car tax if your caught driving it is wait for it

50 quid fine or payent of back tax, which ever is the greater

sorry but when i done all that type of stuf tbh i actually saved money and i never cost the motorist anything as i never had a crash

infact since ive had insurance ect all ive done is pay money, i only get parking tickets now as the cars in my name, same reason i have to slow down for speed cameras

mmmmmm really cathing the proper problems
Old 30-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Mazda Man

im gonna register my cars in my cats name... and get a P.O.BOX number
Old 30-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Old 30-09-2004, 02:58 PM
davie0146
Regular Contributor

what a crock of shittte

nex thel be wanting to tax wheelie bins and tesco fookin trolleys
Old 30-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Mazda Man

im selling my other cars.. i got 3... im just selling all but one, and changing the registered owner for it and keeping it off road.. this is taking the piss
Old 30-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

FS they will be taxing our shit next
Old 30-09-2004, 03:49 PM
FastFordChris

tax on top of tax wat will this country come up with next!! u already have to pay 30 of quid for a foto liecence i thought that was 2 pay for the card/photo etc!!? now there sayin they want £4.50 per yr to cover the costs thats bollox!
Old 30-09-2004, 03:54 PM
James_RST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

only two things certain in life, taxes and death
Old 30-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Turbo lag

It's death and taxes actually ( meet joe black )

Dave.
Old 30-09-2004, 04:54 PM
richardeames

Tax on wheelies bins? Already happens mate. I pay council tax like everyone else. But have to pay extra to get my rubbish cleared. Which should be in the council tax.
Old 30-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tax on shopping trollies already happens - u pay a quid, but its a refundable tax
Old 30-09-2004, 05:16 PM
SteveT

Thats a complete bunch of arse.

So you gotta pay an extra admin tax to administer the processing of your road tax. Bollocks to that!
FFS!! Why don't they go the whole hog and just introduce a third road tax which is to administer the administratioi of the administration tax!??

Fucking government, anything to swindle the motorist.

steve
Old 30-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

So how many of you lot went to the site and registered your opinions? Grumbling about it on PassionFord won't stop them. If they don't hear any complaints they'll think everyone is happy.

By the way, there are actually four different options, all of which involve us motorists forking out more cash in one way or another. I've just given them what for and suggest you all do too!

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consul...df_summary.htm
Old 30-09-2004, 08:18 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

We don't need vehicle tax, and all of the administration/enforcement costs that goes with it at all.

Take the amount of money you would like to receive over the course of a year (WITHOUT OVERHEADS), divide it by the number of litres of fuel used in this country, and add it to the cost of the fuel.

A simple system that people CANNOT avoid paying.

And yes, I sent this as a comment.
Old 30-09-2004, 08:22 PM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they have got a nice email from me... name joe bloggs post town england. and about 30 lines.
it realy does piss me off.
Old 30-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Mazda Man

bump

speak about your unhappyness...if nobody does than it will go ahead!

follow the like and get complaining!
Old 30-09-2004, 09:44 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

do you honestly think complaining will make any difference
if they want to do it they will do it , as far as government are concerned we are all entitled to our opinions but they dont mean shit
Old 30-09-2004, 09:49 PM
djskitzy
Regular Contributor

wait for it... a tax, on tax
Old 30-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Mazda Man

just like petrol

u pay duty on the cots of the fuel... then u pay vat on the total... instead of just on the fuel value...

utter tossers
Old 01-10-2004, 03:23 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

If it aint bad enough all the tax I do pay. A bit anal I know but I sat down and worked out how much tax I paid last year (not including income tax or NI), thats 17.5% on everything I buy my road tax, fuel tax so on and so forth and it came to about 3k.

So not only do I pay 3k in income tax a year, but add 3k to it and what do you get.

6k of my money.

Hate this goverment, going to live in spain.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email sent

Air your views to donna.woods@dvla.gsi.gov.uk and hopefully if enough people respond it may make some difference.
If you dont try you cant really sit and moan....