General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can you get sacked for being off sick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry, but in my honest opinion, if he wants to get better the money is not even a consideration.

Makes me question his motives knowing he wont do anything to try and help himself yet expects the company to continue paying an employee that is a "dead weight" to them.

Sorry if sounds harsh but I have first hand experience of this situation and getting yourself signed off work long term and not taking responsibility for your own life and happiness makes me think the Company should stop paying him full sick pay and see how quickly he gets better then In fact if you read your staff handbook im sure it will state how long your company will pay full sick pay..... cos it wont be forever even if they dont sack you, trust me.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_w
Originally Posted by Smit
They have to go down the correct route!

I.e verbal warning, written, final written etc etc

They cannot by law just sack you for your first offence!

The union who have a field day!
err Nope. Not in this case maybe but "Gross Misconduct" is something you can be sacked for even if its your 1st offence.

Different companies have different guidelines on what constitutes GM though.
I know Rich, but i was commenting on the issue at hand not gross misconduct at work....
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 AM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Matt J
Originally Posted by Clare
Im sorry, but in my honest opinion, if he wants to get better the money is not even a consideration.

Makes me question his motives knowing he wont do anything to try and help himself yet expects the company to continue paying an employee that is a "dead weight" to them.

Sorry if sounds harsh but I have first hand experience of this situation and getting yourself signed off work long term and not taking responsibility for your own life and happiness makes me think the Company should stop paying him full sick pay and see how quickly he gets better then In fact if you read your staff handbook im sure it will state how long your company will pay full sick pay..... cos it wont be forever even if they dont sack you, trust me.

12 months full sick pay.

Not harsh at all, how can you say money is not a consideration though? he has a house and bills to pay, a lesser paid job will mean not being able to afford this, he already lives in a small/cheap to run house, its not as if he can down grade so to speak!!

I think he was hoping the antidepressants would pick him back upto a level so he could work there again.

Sorry got to agree with Clare and a couple of others

How can pumping himself full of drugs constitute a life

Ok you say he not got an extravagant life but either way he obviously still trying to live above his means, or at least by trying to keep paying the bills in that job !

So he starts taking a bigger dose of the drugs and goes back, only needs a bad day and then he gonna start slidding back down again and need even more drugs, VICIOUS CIRCLE.

He is gonna have to find another job that pays the same that he CAN actually do, cos obviously he IS NOT capable of doing this one. Or maybe it isnt work related stress at all, maybe he actually has money worries and the thought of losing his job depresses him, cant believe actually doing a job would give you the depression itself cos you would just move along. Or of course have to reduce his lifestyle, you say he aint got an expensive house but you dont mention cars lifestyle debts etc

Why should an employer pay someone for doing nothing, is all the work he should be doing just sitting there waiting for his miracle recovery when he just gonna stroll back in happy as larry to work there doing all this back log, OR are they all the time he not there actually paying someone else to do it

If someone has a few days here and there work loads can be shared but someone off this amount of time, well if i was his employer id want him out, also especially because of his type of condition, obviously no good in that job, as said even if he did/does return, eventually it all gonna get to much for him again, so it all gonna start over again, would rather get rid of him out of that posistion and find someone suitable for it !

Also FOOK what type of companys you lot work for that pay full sick pay for 12 months, in honesty they asking to be abused, full sick for a few weeks without discretion then cut there pay back and see how fast they recover then
Then with discretion a few months or whatever, like proper hospital type jobs, busted bones like someone said there kidneys etc, MEASURABLE problems, fook all this in your head stuff, whether it there or not to hard to prove one way or another, and as have been saying even if it is for real, then that person obviously not suitable for that type of work . (yes even if it isnt work related, as said why should an employer pay someone for not giving anything to the company they need to employ someone who at a set date and time will be fit enought to be productive for the company, in the head illnesses can come and go continually)

Also scarry to read how many of you know people with depression or suffer it yourselves, I mean how old are you lot average age probably about 22, ffs life just begining, you got plenty ahead of you that gonna stress you out. Buying selling houses / cars, crashing cars, losing loved ones, splitting with partners, them partners taking your kids, taking all your money and houses that you worked for etc, life sucks, but you have to get on with it, pumping your bodies full of drugs ISNT an answer, IMO doctors dish these drugs out far too easy

My 10p worth

Steve
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

The Rapid 1

one of the guys who used to work here was always bragging baout his old man just sitting in the office doing fuck all while everyone else worked their bollocks off
he said they couldn't sack him for some reason but he was a delivery driver but couldn't unload the stuff from the back as he couldn't breathe because he was smoking to many fags

cant do the job you are employed to do, then you go and find somewehre else to pay for your loafing is what i'd say

if it's measureable and physical then fair enough, but the mentalist side of things, you should be sorted out properly before you start looking for another job

harsh maybe, but thats the way i look at it, my aunt was off for ages with depression and she wasn't working, but one of the guys at work was off for 6 weeks due to stress but he's not as happy as larry a few years down the line

getting paid for a full year is, in my onion, taking the piss
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
gaz s1

oh dear i cant believe how ignorant people still are about depression its a mental illness for fucks sake not just feeling depressed.

I just hope the people who dont understand never get it because it really fucks you up bigtime and can take years to recover from it.

The attitude on here is typical, just go back to work and you will forget about it, it dont work like that.

I kept going to work when i didnt know what i was suffering with thinking id just work through it then totally cracked one day at work getting extremely violent and nasty with my workmates.

Work sent me straight to the doctors and was diagnosed with depression and put straight on the sick.

12 months later with various time off work and 1 suicide attempt i and my mental health helper decided id never get better while at this job due to the shift rotation and stress levels at work.

I had debts and kids to keep but in the end quit my job and sorted my debts out with the citizens advice.

A couple of years down the track im fine now and happy with life again but its so easy to stick to a job thats fucking you up because you need the money.

The moral of this story is nothing is worth fucking youre mental health up and please peeps dont just say go back to work and forget it youll get better because it dont work like that!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

gaz s1 Totally agree with you!!

I had depression for years, then a nervous breakdown and my family were always saying, lighten up get on with things etc etc. It wasnt until my mum went thru the same thing that she actually realised how hard it was, and apologised all the time for not being there enough.

It is hard, but help is out there. I still have bad days, but hey dont everyone?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I cant believe your Doctor has just prescribed pills withough offering advice on making changes to your life.

Best advice my Doctor ever gave me back in 2001 was to shake up my life a bit and make a few changes before resorting to pills. Any Doc that just hands out that type of medication is brushing you under the carpet imo.

6 years on and although I still have problems I have never had to take medication. It peaks and troughs enough now for me to recognise when something isnt right and changes need to be made before the balck hole appears............... why do you think im in bloody Spain

Im sure some of you wont agree with me, but guess what, I dont care
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Clare Wish my doctor was like yours, i'm practically addicted to my "happy pills" - no its not in my head lol, my outbursts confirm that when i miss a few !

I'm glad you're ok Clare
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont ever take Seroxat - fucking lethal side effects
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People who dont understand Mental health and comment on it are so niave......

my dad is havin his book launched and published and on the shelves this month about all his breakdowns and depression he went through.....tell ya what if you think depression is an easy thing you read his book....i cant get past the first 70 pages cos it is too upsetting.........

great line i feel describes it is " on ya first day at work in the coffee room you say you have a cold and people will still be there 5 minutes later, you mention you have a mental condition and its amazing hwo quick everyone leaves the room" Depression is an illness same as a cold but as you cannot see it you cannot understand it therefore you fear it. end of

my rant over lol
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by Matt J
Originally Posted by gaz s1
oh dear i cant believe how ignorant people still are about depression its a mental illness for fucks sake not just feeling depressed.

I just hope the people who dont understand never get it because it really fucks you up bigtime and can take years to recover from it.

The attitude on here is typical, just go back to work and you will forget about it, it dont work like that.

I kept going to work when i didnt know what i was suffering with thinking id just work through it then totally cracked one day at work getting extremely violent and nasty with my workmates.

Work sent me straight to the doctors and was diagnosed with depression and put straight on the sick.

12 months later with various time off work and 1 suicide attempt i and my mental health helper decided id never get better while at this job due to the shift rotation and stress levels at work.

I had debts and kids to keep but in the end quit my job and sorted my debts out with the citizens advice.

A couple of years down the track im fine now and happy with life again but its so easy to stick to a job thats fucking you up because you need the money.

The moral of this story is nothing is worth fucking youre mental health up and please peeps dont just say go back to work and forget it youll get better because it dont work like that!!!
One of the best post's on this thread, absolutely spot on mate.

Rapid 1 - Thanks for your input mate but as above, its not as simple as you'd like to think.

If he could walk out of a job that doesnt require qualifications into another on the same money then I'm sure he would without doubt, unfortunately life isnt that simple. he doesnt have an extavagent life style, no mrs or kids to support, 1 car (10 year old 106 that cost all of a few hundred quid) no holidays etc... He's living perfectly well within his means, but if he leaves he wont be able to, its quite simple to understand really, its not the job its the place thats causing his issue's.

As for the back log of work situation you mention, no chance, they probably dont even know he's not there

Its not the sort of job where work carries on minus one man, someone will move from another job and cover his, like I said its a 5000+ employee production site, they wont stop production for one bloke, fuck, they didnt stop when someone collapsed with chest pains and they had to drive an ambulance into the plant, someone just took his place while he was at the side of the line on his back
Sounds like a lovely place to work

BUT like any factory production line etc in honesty

TBH you is talking about you and not some mate by the sounds of it (you said a couple of things pointing to that anyway)

Still stand by all I said

It hardly sounds like you/your mates job is that important in the scheme of things, so can hardly be that skilled etc, SO there must be something really bad and nasty about what you/they do, that it pays that much more money than another job of an equal skill level ???

Dont agree with mind drugs in any way, aint anyone ever gonna change my view on that, If you cant see you got problems in your life making you feel whatever way you feel, then theres your problem.

I to hate my job, I have had to work the last 8 years on a night shift in a shitty factory full of immigrants where the managment treat the staff like shit (due to the level of imigrants they get awat with it) fuck sake we dont get 1 official day a year off, not even Xmas day, if your rosta'd on then you work that day.
Why do i do it cos it pays enough money to keep a roof over mine, my sons and my ex's heads.
Does it let me live an extravagent lifestyle NO, aint got my Cos anymore, couldnt afford to repair it last time i killed it so it had to go, what it does do is give me enough money to buy a few things to put a smile on my sons face, and that is enough to get me by. Only another 10 years and I will be able to leave and get a job that doesnt pay enough money, by then the ex aint my responsibilty so that will save a few hundred a month straight away
Every day I get up i hate the thought of doing another 8 hrs in that place, but do I go popping some pills, no I just think every other fucker in the country got to be going doing some shit they probs dont want to be, so just get on with it, its only 8 hrs after all, after that it dont matter what happens in that place ive left it behind dont let it drag me down when im not there, when there just get on with what im payed to do, in honesty i just hate work, and no matter where I HAVE to go i will/would hate, but realise it just a part of life, we have to do things we dont like, no pill popping necesarry just make the best of it you can while you there knowing youll be going home in a few hours, then ENJOY YOUR time

Steve
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
Been on them - BIG MISTAKE!!

Kept getting sucidal thoughts, then about a year ago there was a programme on about that drug!! It was a very common side effect and a few ppl actually went ahead and killed themselves
Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jemma
Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
Been on them - BIG MISTAKE!!

Kept getting sucidal thoughts, then about a year ago there was a programme on about that drug!! It was a very common side effect and a few ppl actually went ahead and killed themselves
Jemma you should read my Dads book.
It is called Bi-Polar Expedition. by Neil Walton. Google it and you will find it
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whosyadaddy
Originally Posted by righthooker
Jim Galbally

You may look like a doc ,but you aint either

Matt J

So it`s you who has the depression.

whosyadaddy

Call me a cunt again ,and i will be" your daddy "

Its all about opinions ,i know some fucker who is diagnosed "depressed" dont stop the fooker working all the time and claiming.

Note the words"Opinions"they are mine if you dont like the answers dont put it on a public forum.

so your allowed an opinion but im not???
and as for you being my daddy

My opinion didnt verbaly abuse you though did you see me calling anyone a C U N T

By reading some of the replies tonight i see some people are of the thought ,if its job related, change it.

If its an unskilled job it cant be paying that much surely.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 PM
gaz s1

matt j youre mate is going to have to pack it in, trust me ive been there, dont know whether they can sack him or not.

The company i worked for were total cunts but didnt sack me and im sure if they could they would have.

They wrote to my doctor and called me in for interviews and i always did what they asked so i dont think there was nothing they could do.

As i posted earlier i came to the decision in the end that i would never get better while i was in this job so handed my notice in and took time off to sort my head out.

Best decision i ever made and feel now im in control of my head and never again would work a job that would stress me out so much it made me mentally ill, not just fed up for the people that dont understand.

Hope my advice helps mate as i know what youre mate is going through and it aint nice but there is light at the end of the tunnel.