General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Great Global Warming Swindle?

Search this Thread

Old 13-03-2007, 07:50 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Great Global Warming Swindle?

Hello all,

I think this was a Dispatches show on Channel 4 recently, but I've seen it's on YouTube as well.

It's funny, because I like to keep my options open on many things and my Dad is a pretty firm nay-sayer when it comes to CO2 and Global Warming (he always likes to point out the fact that CO2 is heavier than air anyway, but we have arguments about convection currents and warming from the Earth's surface ).

Personally, I think we should do all we can to preserve as much of fossil fuels as possible - so in that way I am 'Eco-friendly', but more and more it does seem that it's a tool for politics rather than the ACTUAL good of the Earth and the people that live in it.

As for the political aspects of 'Greenies' - don't get me started, I was already aware that once Communism 'failed' in the '90s that the far-left was looking for a new political vehicle. This program shows that the Scientists and experts involved are only too far aware of this as well!

YouTube - Great Global Warming Swindle (parts 1-8 of 8)

I personally think this program was very good - much better than any of the pap Conspiracy Theory 'Documentaries' I've seen about many other issues. I'm sure GrahamS1 will disagree though!

Enjoy!

Andy
Old 13-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I watched it on google video this morning and it had some better arguements than Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.
Old 13-03-2007, 08:05 PM
andyhardy

I've yet to watch an 'Inconvenient Truth' - from the reviews I've heard it's supposed to be pretty good. Will give it a watch - although I feel biased now I've watched this one!
Old 13-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Basically the CH4 program took Al Gores facts and showed them to be close but inaccurate. They showed their sun theory model to fit Al's temp curve far better than the CO2 theory and as you know then suggest that it is CO2 levels being effected by temp and not CO2 effecting temp.

Pretty good stuff I thought.

However, everyone is on the climate change bandwagon so its going to be a massive ship to turn around....

I still haven't made my mind up yet and it's a fundamental part of my job these days...
Old 13-03-2007, 08:26 PM
andyhardy

I was going to say - you work on wind generators don't you?

I guess you're carbon offsetting your work with the M3
Old 13-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No I'm the energy manager for very large mobile phone company - so masts of some description
Old 13-03-2007, 08:56 PM
andyhardy

This issue is quite important to you then!

I'm aware that the ball is already set in motion - I just wish people wouldn't take everything they get told by the media as gospel and perhaps do their own research on these things!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 13-03-2007, 09:22 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the program and I'm sold! Seriously they are presenting facts taken from un-related studies which all show similar trends. I've yet to see any figures that truely support global warming appart from Al Gore's nicely altered graph of CO2 and Global temp. All the politics that were covered at the end of the show were not a nice way of looking at the world, however I have to admit, they made as much sense as 0.05% of our atmosphere causing the world to end......

How come everyone else is completely ignoring the recent data which supports global temp drops in the 40's ect..?

I think we should reduce our energy consumtion and reduce waste, but I want to do it to preserve resources and reduce costs.

I hope that in the next ten years the Global temp drops one year that'll put the wind up some ppl.

JAmes.

p.s. The inconvenient truth should be renamed "A convenient lie".
Old 13-03-2007, 09:40 PM
andyhardy

I wasn't aware of the producer's history - it's interesting reading!

However, I could point out similar arguments with Al Gore and other's productions supporting global warming. We'll never get to the truth if we continually tear apart things based on a person's reputation. Hard facts will win over people's minds.

Unfortunately, as with nearly everything important, politics and narrow-mindedness will mean that the truth will be muddied and never be attainable

Andy
Old 14-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is the trouble with this stuff. Nobody has the time to do there own research so we only have the crap that gets fed to us.

Which is why i sit squarely on the fence because I don't know who to believe.

People always ask me how can I drive the csl when I'm the energy manager. All i have to say is that energy management was around long before global warming. Climate change is a recent addition conveniently tacked on to an energy managers role

At 110bhp/litre my na car is very efficient