General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Maggie Thatcher - Die Yer Bitch.

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me laugh actually, under the National Coal Board miners in general were paid fuck all, it's only when the likes of AMCO/ THYSSENS etc who were contractors came in did wages really pick up, and you had to put the hours in, all you Thatcherites want chucking down the Coal Mining Museum in Wakefield for a week then see what you think, you'd be begging to come out after an hour, my back was fucked just walking through it.
Old 23-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Originally Posted by GARETH T
If I was a miner, I'd of had more than half an eye on what was going to happen, and would of planned for the future. Learnt a new trade, or whatever. Before everybody was rushing for the jobs that were out there.
sounds great in theory,,, but sadly in the welsh valleys, they was NO other jobs about! honestly, the valleys was there for the mines and nothing else!!
Correct, hence why Timrud HAS NO IDEA what hes on about. It all looks good in that well written reply that the schoolbooks have taught him but real facts are this, Barnsley was a MINING town. IF there were plenty of other jobs and trades to do they would have done them rather than risk their lives going miles under the earth for poor pay getting black and breathing in fooking coal dust.

When they closed there were no jobs for them as that was the main job to have in Barnsley. Why is that so hard to understand? Oh yes, cos its not how it looks in books or on paper when you STUDY them

All these opinions from people that have ''studied' the situation make me laugh...go and bollox with that shit. You can only comment if you have been/lived in the situation...

another thing that makes me laugh is this subsidising wages and it costing the government to keep men in jobs...

Hmm, right. So, how much do you think it has cost to close the mines, pay the miners off, redevelop the mines, pay dole to all other people whos jobs were lost(haulage companies, train drivers, signalmen, coal merchants, equipment manufacturers etc) ??????????????

Try a figure above billions you might be in the region
So Lee, lets see you go through all of the paragraphs in Timrud post and give your opinion on each one and what you would have done if you had been in charge.
Old 23-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And like what someone else said all the miners needed was a level playing field, Colombian & Polish coal was subsidised and stockpiled in UK, soon as the pits were shut those prices crept up Your also losing the point that we ARE ALL paying sky high energy prices for those costly decisions 25 years ago as every one has us by the balls coz we rely on imports.
Old 23-02-2007, 03:33 PM
starturbo

I dont have time to read all the pages so if its been said before then sorry.I seem to recall a certain person by the name of Arthur Scargill who kind of screwed the miners over with his militant ways.I also remember that the labour government,before the tories got in,gave us uncollected rubbish on the streets (for weeks),a three day working week and more power cuts that I care to remember as a kid.Blair has taken away our right to free speech,a war that no one wanted coz he is kiss assing george bush,streets full of immigrants,higher taxes than ever,over a hundred new offences for which you can be jailed,full jails,cash for questions,cash for honours and that david bloody blunkett keeps gettin a golden handshake of a few grand then gets another government job 6 months later when they think we have all forgot he got sacked.
Old 23-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Dannn

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
And like what someone else said all the miners needed was a level playing field, Colombian & Polish coal was subsidised and stockpiled in UK, soon as the pits were shut those prices crept up Your also losing the point that we ARE ALL paying sky high energy prices for those costly decisions 25 years ago as every one has us by the balls coz we rely on imports.
You know what, you clever people tells us what thatcher did wrong and how this country should be brought back from the shit.

How difficult is it to understand that the coal mine made no money and had to be shut no matter how shit that was.

now go and read this:

http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_b...0405170929.asp

What is your opinion of the state of this country before thatcher got in and how would you sort it out ?
Old 23-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Another point at Tims great post

Your right tim, they should have learned other trades on a night. They should have got in from a very hard days graft(something you have probably never done) from being down the mine, then gone to learn a trade.. i mean there were plenty of jobs to learn.

In the 1981 census, 44% of Grimethorpe workers were miners[1]. The two pits in the village were called Grimethorpe and Ferrymoor. The latter merged with "Riddings" in 1967, which in turn merged with "South Kirkby" in 1985. Grimethorpe colliery was one of the deepest pits in Britain and, following similar mergers with "Houghton Main" and "Dearne Valley", employed 6,000 men at the time of the closure in May 1993

6000 men in a few pits out of the many that were in Barnsley region. Im so so sure there were 6000 jobs just waiting to be had by these hard working, yet fairly simple men who only knew mining like you know tieing your shoe laces.

Dann. Im not a politition its not my job to say how the country is/should be run. She ruined thousands of lives by closing the mines the way she did, and grey face prick major too. thats enough for me and likewise to hate her.....wether she gave good head ill leave that in your hands...
Old 23-02-2007, 03:59 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Lee , Have you ever heard the phrase

" The lesser of two evils " ?

I'm not disagreeing thousands of peoples lives were ruined, but if it was for the greater good of the country as a whole can you ignore it?

Plus it's largely down to her we still have the Pound ( thus retaining a degree of control over interest rates - altho they are 'supposed' to be independant of government as a rule of joining the EU ) Much better than Brussels controlling our economy dont you think? Do you think they'd give a fuck about Barnsley in the grand scheme of things?
Old 23-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Dannn

Another point at Tims great post

Your right tim, they should have learned other trades on a night. They should have got in from a very hard days graft(something you have probably never done) from being down the mine, then gone to learn a trade.. i mean there were plenty of jobs to learn.

In the 1981 census, 44% of Grimethorpe workers were miners[1]. The two pits in the village were called Grimethorpe and Ferrymoor. The latter merged with "Riddings" in 1967, which in turn merged with "South Kirkby" in 1985. Grimethorpe colliery was one of the deepest pits in Britain and, following similar mergers with "Houghton Main" and "Dearne Valley", employed 6,000 men at the time of the closure in May 1993

6000 men in a few pits out of the many that were in Barnsley region. Im so so sure there were 6000 jobs just waiting to be had by these hard working, yet fairly simple men who only knew mining like you know tieing your shoe laces.

Dann. Im not a politition its not my job to say how the country is/should be run. She ruined thousands of lives by closing the mines the way she did, and grey face prick major too. thats enough for me and likewise to hate her.....wether she gave good head ill leave that in your hands...
Lee,

I am sure the Iron lady suck cocks very well!

Anyway you keep saying she/Tories ruined thousands of lives etc. Now in order to say that you should be able to tells us where she/Tories went wrong and how the situation should been handled. Do you accept this country was fucked before thatcher came to power for example ?

To me it sounds like a shit situation, people suffered and they then turn round and blame someone for it without being able to back it up as to why its really their fault and offer up what should have happened.

So Lee, lets say you own a business and employ 10 people and what ever reason the business starts running a loss. What you make them redundant or pay them wages out of your saving until you and your family are bankrupt and/or expect the goverment to step in and give you money to pay them to keep your failing business running?
Old 23-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[quote="starturbo"]I dont have time to read all the pages so if its been said before then sorry.I seem to recall a certain person by the name of Arthur Scargill who kind of screwed the miners over with his militant ways.I also remember that the labour government,before the tories got in,gave us uncollected rubbish on the streets (for weeks),a three day working week and more power cuts that I care to remember as a kid.Blair has taken away our right to free speech,a war that no one wanted coz he is kiss assing george bush,streets full of immigrants,higher taxes than ever,over a hundred new offences for which you can be jailed,full jails,cash for questions,cash for honours and that david bloody blunkett keeps gettin a golden handshake of a few grand then gets another government job 6 months later when they think we have all forgot he got sacked. [/quote Your a buffoon, read the threads, whos on about Labour ? or present day ?
Old 23-02-2007, 04:13 PM
kl-mortiss
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

thacher thacher the milk snacher
Old 23-02-2007, 04:27 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Lee - So there we No coal mines in Sheffield then?

I'm not saying anywhere they didn't have a hard time did I? Or that areas would not be badly affected?

I'm just trying to show you why it actually happened, and the reasoning behind it. And how we could be in a much worse situation.
Old 23-02-2007, 04:58 PM
scottbrown
Advanced PassionFord User

I am too young(26) to remember miners etc, but why would any government keep subsidising an industry that was losing money at an alarming rate. unions are good for nothing scum, they have played a major part in the downfall of all british manufacuring.

Blair made a sililar decision only recently with rover... couldnt keep pumping millions into a company to provide jobs for a few thousand. The government should in theory be making decisions for the whole country and citizens not regional areas.

As for the arguement that its because of her that todays energy prices are so high.... bull shit. We are running out of natural gas and so it is having to be bought in..
The pits will never re open. as with all the bullshit health and safety we have now, plus the average brit would not be willing to do the work for the money they would be paid as remember its a very labour intensive industry so for it to be successfull labour costs need to be low, even the poles wont work for buttons.

The one thing I will say is thatcher had far bigger balls than bushes lap dog that we have in power now, which is partly down to the northerners voting labour as too pig headed to vote for tories over something that happened years ago.
Old 23-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

LEt just clear something up aswell. NOT all pit were losing money.

For example, there was a little Welsh mine in one of the Valleys (cant remember the name atm) and this was just about bought buy the works at the time of closer. It is now still in operation, expanding its workeforce and making a tidy profit. So we need not tar everything here.

I can sit on fence either way, as i dislike a lot of unions and way they hold things to ransom. Look at France and why dont want to be like that.

Learn trades over night, yah fine. but dont you think the miners though of that, besides as Gareth i think said most of them had lots of different trades which could be applied to other industries. Lot of the Valley towns grew up around heavy industry and thats all they had, now due to economic times its more or less vanished which people still living here. I do feel sorry for these people and the mines etc was part of the communites and provided a LOT.

Im glad trade unions have less power But im sad about the way the coal situation was handled, was a hard time for a lot of people. And for the people say who gives a fuck, i would like to see you struffling for a year!
Old 23-02-2007, 05:24 PM
LeviA

A remarkable woman, I'd like to see if she followed Bush into Iraq and Afghanistan after the Yanks wouldn't help us in the Falklands

British Hero...

Old 23-02-2007, 06:22 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Yeah, its deffo fair to say not ALL mines lost money.

I saw a great quote above, "the lesser of two evils". Thats what I'm trying to explain.

In a way you could call the miners heros, as they were the ones faced with the sacrifice for the good of the nation. I'm sure its only when the situation was as dire as it was that the drastic action had to be taken.

I'm not trying to glorify what happened, meerly justify it.

If you do want to point political fingers, we would have to look further back in history to see what put us in that position. I think Thatcher just had to clean the mess up.

Remember, I was only 2 or 3 when the minors strike was on, any further back than that, I'm a bit scketchy
Old 23-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Jay R
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Redkop
Originally Posted by diesel2000
I do think that it would be very interesting to hear how old everyone is that has posted as it would give some credibility (or indeed remove credibility) from the comments we have all made. Personally I am 30, and I accept that I do only see the bad that the woman did to my town, my family and my friends that is why most of my replies have been around the effect it had on me.

I will never agree that Thatcher was good for this country as I have already said, I am blinkered by the situation I found myself in at a very young age. BUT, I do respect peoples opinions, but at the same time I despise people telling me my family, or 99% of families in my area were happy to sit back and accept benefits.
Diesel, can you tell me what the difference is between accepting benefits once the shipyards/mines were closed down compared to accepting wages which were heavily subsidised by the Government? People will have tunnel vision on this if it affected them, but surely if they looked at the wider picture they must have seen how these heavily subsidised companies were a massive drain on the economy.

The UK was known as the "sick man of Europe" in the '70s. Yet after Thatcher's radical reforms, the UK emerged from the '80s as one of the most successful economies in modern Europe and yes, unemployment was high but it did eventually come down after the initial job losses and radical labour market reforms.

Whatever people think of Thatcher, you have to admit she saved the British economy from the stagnation and decline of the '70s.
Redkop your a fucking disgrace to even call yourself a LFC supporter after what that evil bitch did to the city

Typical fucking glory hunting sotherner why support them when you live hundreds of miles away and know fuck all about the city
Old 23-02-2007, 07:27 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhys
LEt just clear something up aswell. NOT all pit were losing money.

For example, there was a little Welsh mine in one of the Valleys (cant remember the name atm) and this was just about bought buy the works at the time of closer. It is now still in operation, expanding its workeforce and making a tidy profit. So we need not tar everything here.

its called tower colliery rhys!

im also glad the trade unions lost power,,, things was getting a little crazy, there is a famous strike where the nickabocaglory spoons wasnt long enough! thats just taking the piss!
Old 23-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by Jay R
I do think that it would be very interesting to hear how old everyone is that has posted as it would give some credibility (or indeed remove credibility) from the comments we have all made. Personally I am 30, and I accept that I do only see the bad that the woman did to my town, my family and my friends that is why most of my replies have been around the effect it had on me.

I will never agree that Thatcher was good for this country as I have already said, I am blinkered by the situation I found myself in at a very young age. BUT, I do respect peoples opinions, but at the same time I despise people telling me my family, or 99% of families in my area were happy to sit back and accept benefits.
Diesel, can you tell me what the difference is between accepting benefits once the shipyards/mines were closed down compared to accepting wages which were heavily subsidised by the Government? People will have tunnel vision on this if it affected them, but surely if they looked at the wider picture they must have seen how these heavily subsidised companies were a massive drain on the economy.

The UK was known as the "sick man of Europe" in the '70s. Yet after Thatcher's radical reforms, the UK emerged from the '80s as one of the most successful economies in modern Europe and yes, unemployment was high but it did eventually come down after the initial job losses and radical labour market reforms.

Whatever people think of Thatcher, you have to admit she saved the British economy from the stagnation and decline of the '70s.
Redkop your a fucking disgrace to even call yourself a LFC supporter after what that evil bitch did to the city

Typical fucking glory hunting sotherner why support them when you live hundreds of miles away and know fuck all about the city
Who lives hundreds of miles away..... not me pal Get your fucking facts right before spouting off shit!
Old 23-02-2007, 07:34 PM
AndyBrew

thats a bit harsh
Old 23-02-2007, 07:35 PM
space hoppers

i think maggie was the female version of winston churchill and you cant get a better compliment than that i my book
Old 23-02-2007, 07:35 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ya lets not get personal now please!

unless its abotu maggie
Old 23-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Jay R
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Who lives hundreds of miles away..... not me pal Get your fucking facts right before spouting off shit!
So you no longer live in Shropshire then ??????? Where abouts are you living in the north west now then ?????
Old 23-02-2007, 07:42 PM
AndyBrew

think you should stick to the topic rather than flinging personal insults about that quite frankly sound a bit pathetic
Old 23-02-2007, 07:44 PM
scottbrown

So you no longer live in Shropshire then ??????? Where abouts are you living in the north west now then ?????
mate, you should look at a map. although shropshire is not in merseyside it is hardly hundreds of miles away, and I would class it as midlands not south..
Old 23-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by timrud
Lee - So there we No coal mines in Sheffield then?

I'm not saying anywhere they didn't have a hard time did I? Or that areas would not be badly affected?

I'm just trying to show you why it actually happened, and the reasoning behind it. And how we could be in a much worse situation.
Sheffield wasnt a mining towm, a mining communtity, There is a MASSIVE difference.

Your trying to show why it happenend. We all know why it happened Tim thats not the discussion here. the discussion is why people like Craig, Diesel and i hate maggie thatcher and the tories. I have said that yes maybe in the long run something needed doing...be it pits closing(doubt that tho) or a new structure to the workforce in the pits....what didnt need doing AND WAS NOT essential was for all the mines to close over a period of about 8 years. Too fast too soon and that has cost the country and the european union billions but no one sees this on here for some reason. If they had closed some over a period of 8 years but not all, or even better still reduced the amount of coal abstracted from all the mines gradually this wouldnt have had as bad a impact on areas like ours...but no, it REALLY WAS in the tories eyes 'fuck em get em closed' because we are up north away from the big smoke where everything matters....

LMAO @ show me why it happened....who the fooook are you like? Textbook boy...
Old 23-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Rhys
. And for the people say who gives a fuck, i would like to see you struffling for a year!
TBH Rhys, this will seem harsh BUT i really hope, sadly, that all the people who are defending maggie and what she did to towns like us have something real bad happen to them and their family and their friends, as that is the only way they will see what it feels like....

Scottbrown....you are a an idiot...and thats being polite...
Old 23-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS....

Almost all replies supporting maggie are from southern fuckpigs....what a suprise.

Dya know what. Saying what you are saying on this situation, which is basically what you said when it was happening.....FUCK EM NORTHERNERS...is like us saying fuck you southerners when the bombs went off july 05.... you just do not have a fucking clue it makes my blood boil and the reason i cannot stick southerners....
No ones answered me about the firemens union either
Old 23-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by timrud
When the mines were opened, why were they opened? Ask yorself this. They were opened for the entrepeneurs who invested in them to make money.
I overlookd this earlier somehow...

So, the mines werent opened to actually get coal to fire powerstaions, and to burn in your some to keep warm and to power steam trains then? Well kick me in the balls you learn something new everyday...

where on earth do you get this info from and more to the point, do you actually read what you type?

they ought to burn books like what you read in the powerstations to prevent fools like you reading them
Old 23-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lee i think every one is jumping on the Coal strike theme for 1 reason or another - we know what a bitch she was, and Mcgregor too, i think the points been made mate, let the Watford Gap mob live in there own little world. PS Under Thatcher at 19 years old i was a shareholder in yorkshire Electricity, who'd av thought it eh ? So i bet you southern lot made a fortune out of her privatisation schemes, to me it was pocket money
Old 23-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Tangodeltasierra3

Aye craig your probably right. Its a subject that really gets my back up. i was mad as fook reading this shit last night after coming home from hospital with my little girl from visitng Lindsay....and not knowing what was wrong with her. So i wasnt in the best of moods...

I knew PF had some cunts on board, but didnt realise as to what depth
Old 23-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Rs Gary
PassionFord Regular

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS....

Almost all replies supporting maggie are from southern fuckpigs....what a suprise.

Dya know what. Saying what you are saying on this situation, which is basically what you said when it was happening.....FUCK EM NORTHERNERS...is like us saying fuck you southerners when the bombs went off july 05.... you just do not have a fucking clue it makes my blood boil and the reason i cannot stick southerners....
we do not have a clue are you having a laugh m8,do you think it was only the north that lost out during the 80's wake up for fuck sake,i live in a place called the medway towns and CHATHAM DOCKYARD was a massive employer,IT WAS SHUT DOWN during the 80's and 1000's lost jobs but unlike alot of people from the NORTH we dont blame 1 person,you lot should all grow up and move on,all this bollox about i hate southerners just goes to show how immature you are i did not support the firemen and i hate the unions for being out of touch,maggie did away with CLOSED SHOP working, for those too young to remember a closed shop ment you had to join the union or you had NO JOB (NOW YOU CALL THAT A FREE COUNTRY)I VOTED FOR MAGGIE you just got to look a bit deeper to see EXACTLY what she did for this country
cheeRS gary
AKA shrek
Old 23-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Rs Gary
PassionFord Regular

and i hope lindsay is ok(i dont hate all northerners )
cheeRS gary
AKA shrek
Old 24-02-2007, 12:58 AM
tiny

I throught she was the bollocks
Old 24-02-2007, 08:02 AM
scottbrown

Originally Posted by shamoan mother fukcer
FUCK ME SIDEWAYS....

we do not have a clue are you having a laugh m8,do you think it was only the north that lost out during the 80's wake up for fuck sake,i live in a place called the medway towns and CHATHAM DOCKYARD was a massive employer,IT WAS SHUT DOWN during the 80's and 1000's lost jobs but unlike alot of people from the NORTH we dont blame 1 person,you lot should all grow up and move on,all this bollox about i hate southerners just goes to show how immature you are i did not support the firemen and i hate the unions for being out of touch,maggie did away with CLOSED SHOP working, for those too young to remember a closed shop ment you had to join the union or you had NO JOB (NOW YOU CALL THAT A FREE COUNTRY)I VOTED FOR MAGGIE you just got to look a bit deeper to see EXACTLY what she did for this country
cheeRS Gary
AKA shrek
not strictly true. still some industrys now like that, alot of transport companies for a start.

lee reynolds, why am I an idiot? I was not havng a go at anyone, simply expressing a view, just cos it was against what you believe in does not make me an idiot. please explain.
Old 24-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by scottbrown
which is partly down to the northerners voting labour as too pig headed to vote for tories over something that happened years ago.
This bit makes you an idiot...

We vote labour as they are the best party for our needs. Things have certainley been better for us since labour got it....so why shouldnt we vote for them?
Old 24-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by shamoan mother fukcer
FUCK ME SIDEWAYS....

cheeRS Gary
AKA shrek
I dont hate southerners, i just cant stick them(or most)

And banging on about unions isnt really a subject. She didnt need to close mines and ruin lives just to get rid of the unions....they could have had a big shake up and devised a new structure to how it was all run...
Old 24-02-2007, 03:34 PM
scottbrown

which is partly down to the northerners voting labour as too pig headed to vote for tories over something that happened years ago.

We vote labour as they are the best party for our needs. Things have certainley been better for us since labour got it....so why shouldnt we vote for them?
fair enough, but what have labour done for you that anyother party would not have done?
Old 24-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

fair enough, but what have labour done for you that anyother party would not have done?
well, for a start the minimum wage has helped loads of people round here get back on their feet as many were in so much debt after the pits closed they borrowed etc. General investment in the area. Families get more help now especialy when on low incomes. Major investment in the hospital. Barnsley now has one of the leading hospitals in the country.

Overall life is better since labour got in, all the tories seemed to do was make it harder for people to get by unless they eanred a lot of money. Its the same old story...cons for rich labour for working class...although labours policies arent as working class now as they had to win the richer folks votes....

Im not saying people should vote cons...You vote who you like. But people wont and shouldnt forget what the tories under thatcher and major did to towns like ours...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Just to note, we had the best cars under thathcher