General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Question about Audi A4 cd changer wiring !

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:17 PM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about Audi A4 cd changer wiring !

Have just recently bought a 2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi which does not have a cd changer fitted in the boot, bought a genuine changer from ebay and connected it up and nothing happens
Tested the changer in another car at work and it worked fine so took the head unit out to see if could find anything wrong. Someone previously has fitted another tyoe if cd changer as there is a silver box wired up called "connect 2 " which must be an adaptor for running an aftermarket changer from the original Audi wiring.
I can see the original thick black connecting lead in the boot for powering up the changer but can see no sign of it at the back of the head unit when i took it out so wondered if anyone could tell me how this lead is connected from the changer to the head unit The "connect 2 " adaptor is powered up by using a small black wiring plug from the original loom but i cant find another plug to connect it up to when i remove it from the connector ( does that make sense!!! )
Am desperate to get this cd changer up and working as the wife is bending my ear about having to listen to the radio all the time
Old 05-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry mate can't really help you on that but pretty sure a mate of mine would have the adaptor box off you to fit in his. Just pm me if after getting rid.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
coco16i

Nash

No prob mate, will pm you if i want to get rid. Would like to keep the car original and thats why i want to get this Audi cd changer to work !

Cheers
Old 05-11-2006, 06:58 PM
celsisone
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the changer lead on the head unit end looks like a power of speaker plug from memory it is a different colour. not round like an after market unit....
Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 PM
coco16i

Its a thick round black lead in the boot off the car for connecting to the changer unit and was trying to find out which connector or wire at the head unit this connects into. Was hoping to find this out without having to remove interior panels etc in order to follow the lead from the boot all the way to the head unit !!! I think something might have been disconnected at the head unit when the previous owner fitted an aftermarket changer unit
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
celsisone

behind the head unit you have a plug for the power and plug for the speakers. there is a third plug.

see link that will plug into the red plug in picture

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...550ba93817a33d

this is the one that you need to find..
Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
coco16i

All the connectors that should be plugged into the head unit appear to be connected as they should be, however there is another black smaller block connector that is joined along with the main stereo wiring and at present this is plugged into the "connect 2" silver box that has been added for using an aftermarket changer. If i could find where this small black connector plug was originally plugged into i think that might be the power up plug for the changer in the boot
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 PM
celsisone

that small black plug is half of the plug you need, if you look close at the red plug in the picture you will see where it joins.