General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PIAA wipers and headlights ......... ???

Search this Thread

Old 28-09-2006, 10:59 AM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA wipers and headlights ......... ???

Ok are PIAA silcon wipers worth the £44 price tag they have ? Anyone use them on here and are they that much better than a set of new "normal" wipers ???

PIAA headlight bulbs, how can they output the light of a 120w bulb and only be 60w rated ? I see some arent E marked so i guess they arent ment for road use ? If were to fit a set of platium comp ones (55w/60w but rated at 120w/130w) would that put alot of strain on the wiring or will they still only take the 55w/60w of a normal blub as they say they are 55w/60w

Cheers for any help
Old 28-09-2006, 12:07 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

there's nothing wrong with normal wipers if you ask me. a regular wipe with vinegar keeps them from smearing

if the bulbs are rated at 55w/60, then that is what power they will draw, simple as that. they can say that they have the equivalent light output of a higher wattage if it's a more efficient design (which may burn hotter, or have a more expensive gas inside/ may not last as long or whatever).

look at the high voltage lighting systems, they are bloody bright because they are more efficient. it is not allowed to have a headlight with a dipped beam of more than xW, so those types of system were made to give a brighter beam without using more power and breaking the law. the downside? cost
Old 28-09-2006, 12:13 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Andy for proper lighting look at a HID conversion Kit. They getting cheaper now and the kits are getting better - you will never want to go back to halogen after using a set of these. www.hids4u.co.uk is where I got mine for both the saph and the mondeo. The kits are 90% reversable i.e. no cutting of wires needed to fit, and so long as you can find an existing hole to mount the balasts too there's no drilling either. The only thing you might need to do is cut a small hole on the back cover of the headlights to allow the loom to feed through - (couple of quid from the breakers for some spare ones to cut up?)

However, if you just wanna stick with halogen based ones, have a look at the Ring sportz blue bulbs. They are not as chavy as they sound and are by far the best halogen bulbs I've ever used.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:19 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im with foreigneRS on wipers, sod 44 quid, i got a set of BOSCH ones from halfords, think they were 20 quid or somewhere round that mark and there fantastic, crystal clear screen after one wipe and they dont make that horrible noise some wipers make when theres not enough water on the screen
Old 28-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i paid £55 for a pair of PIAA super white bulbs , the oes that are rated at 55/60 W and give a light output equal to that of a 100/110 W.

yes they were a whiter brigher light, but still didnt actually light up any more area, thats down to the design of the headlight reflector. i had them in my evo 6 as the std headlamps are very poor due to the small size. i had them in that for 6 months, then in the cossie for 6 months and i kid you not, both failed within a week of each other after about 12 months use.

ive never had a headlamp bulb fail before or since, lesson leant
Old 28-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the PIAA Silicone Wipers on mine. They are the bollocks. It's like you've just put Rain-X on, all the time! Also, they NEVER squeak.

I didn't pay £44 for mine though.
Old 28-09-2006, 06:35 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I have the PIAA Silicone Wipers on mine. They are the bollocks. It's like you've just put Rain-X on, all the time! Also, they NEVER squeak.

My 20 odd quid bosch jobs NEVER squeak either
Old 28-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by GTi_iTG

My 20 odd quid bosch jobs NEVER squeak either
How about those times when you forget and leave the wipers on when its stopped raining?? I mean the PIAA ones don't squeak even on a dry screen!!
Old 29-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Snap.... same here
Old 29-09-2006, 12:12 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PM ya then Mr C
Old 29-09-2006, 04:36 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

How about those times when you forget and leave the wipers on when its stopped raining?? I mean the PIAA ones don't squeak even on a dry screen!!
there is no time when that happens. i use my eyes to look through the windscreen, and if there is no rain on the screen anymore and i turn the wipers off. really not that difficult
Old 29-09-2006, 04:57 PM
NathR
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
there is no time when that happens. i use my eyes to look through the windscreen, and if there is no rain on the screen anymore and i turn the wipers off. really not that difficult
Couldn't agree more! My birds screen is scratched to fuck from that, does my NUT in when she leaves them on when the rain stops.

I just use proper Ford ones on mine and have NEVER had any problems. Although the RS doesn't come out in the rain unless I get caught out!
Old 29-09-2006, 08:16 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I bought a pair of ford ones today, £8 and they don't make a noise, even when the screen is dry.
Old 29-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

FFS you bunch of skin-flints!!!

When you buy them you clean your screen with the wipes that they give you. Then you fit them and let them run on a dry screen for 10 mins. Then after that, in most levels of rain, you only need your wipers on intermittent. Occassionally you let them run on a clean/dry screen to replenish the coating.

Geddit?

Anyway, those of you that are happy with your cheapo wipers, move on. I have sent Andy a link of where to buy them, so its discussion over!!
Old 29-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Rain-X - don't need wipers if you go quick enough - some people don't like it but I've never had problems with it
Old 29-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Dave McB
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by EssexBoyRacer

However, if you just wanna stick with halogen based ones, have a look at the Ring sportz blue bulbs. They are not as chavy as they sound and are by far the best halogen bulbs I've ever used.
id agree, iv bought them...what a difference.

might i add, not quite legal....swap em back at mot time
Old 29-09-2006, 11:35 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've got PIAA wipers

They're fantastic.

On the motorway you don't even need them, the water just pours off the screen.