General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FWD Drag Record Set

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2006, 01:17 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Originally Posted by DaveAVT
...tyres, please...
Ok, cool, tyres it is

So, you are saying that if andy fits slicks to his corsa and gets .4 better off the 60ft it means that his ET will only drop by .4

So can you just let me know what assumptions you are basing that on?

Im guessing one of them is that despite accelerating SO much harder he wont be going any faster at the 60ft mark and therefore wont cover any additional ground quicker?

Im also guessing that you are making the assumption he wont be able to dial in power on the nitrous kit sooner despite the extra grip level being so huge?

Have you ever actually done a quarter yourself?
I ask it again, why can somebody cover the quarter quicker but with a slower terminal. If they are accelleratting faster at the 60ft, youd assume 330ft, 8th mile etc...
...more accelleration = more speed doesnt it, no? So why a lower terminal...

Not as clear cut as you like to think.
Old 27-06-2006, 01:18 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

blimey wish i hadn't posted now

so what does these three pages of crap mean then?
Old 27-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

That these pair are bored and have nothing better todo?
Old 27-06-2006, 01:19 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Chip, i was winding you up in the last post.
Apologies, its hard to tell when you are pretending to be an idiot and actually being one as you seem to do both so well

Still not answered the question though Davey my boy about how many VNT cars you have personally mapped as you made it sound like loads in that thread so i was just wondering the actual number
3 or 12, or 0 or 1

I could pick any number out of the air.

but the difference between you an me, is I have VNTs and you don't, and programmable ecus that work with this system, and you don't, so when you have tried one, then jump on a thread and add input..

Otherwise its just more speculation and assumption as with this thread.
PMSL

It so funny that you wont just answer that as we all know its blatantly none
Big deal you have bought some VNT's and bought some ECU's, thats not quite the same as having mapped one at the point you were trying to sound like you had though is it?

I could go and buy a competition spec cricket bat tomorrow but i wouldnt pretend that meant i had played for england when i havent

He who shouts loudest Chip doesnt always get heard...

The difference with you buying a competition cricket bat Chip, is you would probably be trying to use it to play tennis...

Sorry how many was that?

NONE?

Ah right, weird you were trying to sound all experienced then

Oh look another joke to try and avoid answering the question, you seem to be good at those

Speaking of humour its funny how im quite happen to talk openly but you have to constantly try and hide the fact you blatantly dont have a clue and try and pretend you have all sorts of experience that you dont by constantly changing the subject or choosing to ignore questions etc.
lol, and the only way you like to make somebody out as an idiot, is by shouting 'your and idiot' all the time, rather than proving it...

I have mapped 3 cars with VNT

..but I could be lying - what does it matter
Old 27-06-2006, 01:20 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Jonzy
That these pair are bored and have nothing better todo?
Hey, I don't work, Ive all the free time in the world...
Old 27-06-2006, 01:21 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Batfink
blimey wish i hadn't posted now

so what does these three pages of crap mean then?
Honestly, I don't know anymore
Old 27-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Hey, I don't work, Ive all the free time in the world...
Clearly
Old 27-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...tyres, please...
Ok, cool, tyres it is

So, you are saying that if andy fits slicks to his corsa and gets .4 better off the 60ft it means that his ET will only drop by .4

Im guessing one of them is that despite accelerating SO much harder he wont be going any faster at the 60ft mark and therefore wont cover any additional ground quicker?

Im also guessing that you are making the assumption he wont be able to dial in power on the nitrous kit sooner despite the extra grip level being so huge?

I ask it again, why can somebody cover the quarter quicker but with a slower terminal. If they are accelleratting faster at the 60ft, youd assume 330ft, 8th mile etc...

Acceleration on a quarter isnt anywhere near linear, and often differences between two cars in terms of speed as they cross the line can be as simple as one having to have an extra gearchange which can mean less time acceleration towards the end, this effects the terminal but doesnt effect the ET as when you are doing 120mph anyway at that point wether you gain a few more mph for a few feet isnt enough to effect anything other than about the 2nd or 3rd decimal place on the timer.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Im still answering all your questions but you dont seem prepared to answer any back, all a bit one sided dont you think that im the only one who isnt trying to hide something?

Heres a few of the ones you have missed so far, perhaps you could fill them in now:

So how many VNT cars had you mapped at the point of the thread if you have only done 3 now, and were those 3 ones you did yourself or merely ones others did that you had some small input into?

How many quarters have you run? (espeically in fwd cars)

Do you think that with more .4 seconds more grip the corsa would be going faster at 60ft?

Do you think the corsa with more grip would be going gaster at 100ft?

cheeRS
Old 27-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Anonymous
Banned

lol, and the only way you like to make somebody out as an idiot, is by shouting 'your and idiot' all the time, rather than proving it...

Thankfully in this case, they have proved it themselves

Do the maths...

If he put slicks on his Corsa and got his 60ft down to 1.5, then he would only match the Renault 5 by 'theoretically' getting his quarter mile down to 11.45 instead of 11.85...

You aint going to get better than a 1.5 60 ft on a light FWD car.

wont bother to explain (again) to you why that post proves you dont know what you are on about, cause anyone still bored enough to be reading this thread who actually has a clue will KNOW instantly why its nonsense without me having to explain it to them
Old 27-06-2006, 01:32 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

...tyres, please...
Ok, cool, tyres it is

Acceleration on a quarter isnt anywhere near linear, and often differences between two cars in terms of speed as they cross the line can be as simple as one having to have an extra gearchange which can mean less time acceleration towards the end, this effects the terminal but doesnt effect the ET as when you are doing 120mph anyway at that point wether you gain a few more mph for a few feet isnt enough to effect anything other than about the 2nd or 3rd decimal place on the timer.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Im still answering all your questions but you dont seem prepared to answer any back, all a bit one sided dont you think that im the only one who isnt trying to hide something?

So how many VNT cars had you mapped at the point of the thread if you have only done 3 now, and were those 3 ones you did yourself or merely ones others did that you had some small input into?

How many quarters have you run? (espeically in fwd cars)

Do you think that with more .4 seconds more grip the corsa would be going faster at 60ft?

Do you think the corsa with more grip would be going gaster at 100ft?

cheeRS
Not really, your question are like what kids do...

Bit like this...

Chip, how many girls have you slept with?

So if you ask a stupid, unprovable question, you get a stupid answer.

If I tell you I have mapped 3 VNTs cars, does this make it fact, just because I have said it?, no, so f*ck it, Ive mapped 17..

As for quarters, ive never ran a FWD quarter - RWD yes, how that changes physics you tell me...

as for the two last questions...

Not nessecarily

Not nessecarily

And untill you have timeslips in ones hand to prove so, its just speculation again..
Old 27-06-2006, 01:32 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

BTW Chip, how many women have you slept with?, Ive slept with 50..
Old 27-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip, how many girls have you slept with?
Not sure actually mate, havent kept count, 40-50 ish, even by your standards though thats a hell of a tangent to go off at.

So if you ask a stupid, unprovable question, you get a stupid answer.
Its not unproveable, you can easily just post details of the cars in question.
Anyway why would anyone want to lie on a forum anyway, the rest of us dont feel the need to on here?

If I tell you I have mapped 3 VNTs cars, does this make it fact, just because I have said it?, no, so f*ck it, Ive mapped 17..
Seems like a VERY simple question to answer, not sure why you wouldnt, or why even now you insist on being a cock about it.

As for quarters, ive never ran a FWD quarter -
It shows

RWD yes, how that changes physics you tell me...
Physics is still phyics, but the effect of slicks is now covered by some slightly different issues, like the weight moving away from the wheels not towards them

Not nessecarily
Its obvious you havent ever run any FWD quarters

Not nessecarily
Its obvious you havent ever run any FWD quarters

And untill you have timeslips in ones hand to prove so, its just speculation again..
Or until ive had similar timeslips in my hand (which i have on many occaisons), its just applying educaation to it.
We are all capable of working out things based on our knowledge of very similar things

Perfect example of me doing so would be Neil Adams car at PV a few weeks ago, i cooled it with nitrous and told him it would run 10mph faster terminal, he ran it and got a 10mph faster terminal, if you could be bothered to search the vauxhall forums you would find artfullmatt saying "how did you possibly know it would be 10mph" the answer of course is that if you have a lot of experience of something its easy to make predictions based on that experience which are fairly accurate, especially if you know the car in question well.

Hence I can say with 100% certainty that if andy had enough grip for .4 seconds off his quarter it would be more than that off his terminal, i know this to be the case because i understand the physics involved reasonabley well and have lots of relevant practical examples of similar to work from, i couldnt give you an EXACT figure on it, but i could certainly give you a good ballpark (.7 seconds would be my educated guess in this case versus your .4 seconds uneducated one )
Old 27-06-2006, 01:51 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Stavros
Hang on, we all missing one vital point here...

Drag racing is boring
Old 27-06-2006, 01:54 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

quickly...

1. gfaw, your lying. Bet you slept with none...

2. Lying - see your response above...

3. It is a very simple answer. How do you want me to prove it, post some pics up??

Do you want a picture of me, my face, next to the VNT turbo, with a laptop in my hand, and me pressing the keys, and a live afr graph of the two stages of VNT position, whilst the car is on the dyno, with the the words 'mapped by Dave' airbrushed (so they could not be fake) into the side of the vehicle..

Will that prove it?.....probably not..

As for the gaining 10mph with nitrous, well done, but its not hard to guess that is it...
Old 27-06-2006, 01:57 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

I could be speculating on how many women you have slept with, but 'circumstantial evidence' as you put it (namely your black shirt with flames on it) leads me to thinking you is fibbing.

If you want this thread to go sillier, go on...

If you want to tell me why slicks could lead to a worse launch then proceed...
Old 27-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Shell
Advanced PassionFord User

If you bet chip has slept with no-one then your more stupid than he says you are!!!
Old 27-06-2006, 02:00 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Shell

If you bet chip has slept with no-one then your more stupid than he says you are!!!
No, Im way more stupid than Chip says I am..
Old 27-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Anonymous
Banned

quickly...

Well i can provide witnesses if you wish, but i feel we are too off topic for it to matter, as im no posting in threads about how to sleep with lots of women my experience of doing so is very much off topic

2. Lying - see your response above...
I dont ever lie on here (or anywhere else except to the mrs if she asks where ive been or the police if they ask how quick i got there )

3. It is a very simple answer. How do you want me to prove it, post some pics up??
No one on here makes each other prove things like that, if i ask someone a question generally i givethem the benefit of the doubt that they will answer it honestly like i always do myself.

Do you want a picture of me, my face, next to the VNT turbo, with a laptop in my hand, and me pressing the keys, and a live afr graph of the two stages of VNT position, whilst the car is on the dyno, with the the words 'mapped by Dave' airbrushed (so they could not be fake) into the side of the vehicle..

Will that prove it?.....probably not..
No, just point us at threads on the RTOC or whereever the owners are from and that would be cool, but see above.

As for the gaining 10mph with nitrous, well done, but its not hard to guess that is it...
It would be hard for someone with your lack of experience to guess the amount in my opinion yes as demonstrated by your ".4 off 60ft = .4 off the ET" comments about my friends corsa.
Old 27-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Anonymous
Banned

I dont need you to, there are loads of reasons, the main one though of course is bogging down if some muppet didnt also make sure the flywheel was heavy enough and then dumped the clutch expecting to go somewhere

If you look at the article on drag racing i wrote in last months total vauxhall thats one of the things i mentioned in there as it happens.
Old 27-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Shell

Or even more desperate to change the subject to hide his stupidity than i said he was
Old 27-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Get a life you sad CUNTS
Old 27-06-2006, 02:09 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Chip, I cant beleive you keep going on so much about the 0.4 of 60ft could also be 0.4 off the ET, you are leaving yourself wide open here..

Accept it can happen, don't just sit there are say it can't because if somebody posts up two timeslips from the same car showing otherwise, thats not really a hole you can dig yourself out of..

It could be 0.4, or 0.5 or 6 or 7, never say never.
Old 27-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip, I cant beleive you keep going on so much about the 0.4 of 60ft could also be 0.4 off the ET, you are leaving yourself wide open here..
Not on that car, im quite confident on that, because i know how well it would utilise more grip cause i know all about it

Accept it can happen, don't just sit there are say it can't because if somebody posts up two timeslips from the same car showing otherwise, thats not really a hole you can dig yourself out of..

It could be 0.4, or 0.5 or 6 or 7, never say never.
only in very different circumstances, so you would bounce up and down saying "told you so" and everyone who knows anything about drag racing would be sat thinking "dave you tool, thats a totally different circumstance"
Old 27-06-2006, 02:13 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

I dont need you to, there are loads of reasons, the main one though of course is bogging down if some muppet didnt also make sure the flywheel was heavy enough and then dumped the clutch expecting to go somewhere

Hallejuyah!

4 pages on....

Now what else could cause bogging down...
Old 27-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Get a life you sad CUNTS
Im at work getting paid for this and its passing the time nicely
Dave's at home apprently doing it in leiu of having a life.

although i wouldnt argue we both cunts though

you're right though, has gone on too long now, its not even interesting to me anymore
Old 27-06-2006, 02:16 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Nothing mentioned in this thread is as fast as Chip's editing
Old 27-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drag racing is boring
agreeed
Old 27-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My cat, who is sitting next to me is nodding in agreement, so even he gets it..

Old 27-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Drag racing is boring
Oh the irony, up until recently your only posts were random japanese or yank rubbish doing 7/8 sec 1/4's on road legal tyres, then lecturing everyone on how wank we are at drag racing in comparison, how times change eh, moved on to the drift band wagon now I see, how long before thats "boring" [/quote]

What you talking about you nob jockey?

We are fucking rubbish at drag racing in comparison, but I cant think of a single yank car ive ever posted up, and not posted any drag vids for years?
Main problems is in the UK people just go for more and more power and forget the easy stuff...

Jumping on the badwagons a laugh too, I first got in to it about 2000-2001 and been in to it since, just more the last 2-3yrs since its got better.
I got into drag racing thanks to the first TOTB, then lost all interest in that again about 2yrs ago.
Ive NEVER liked watching it, just doing it, and now your not even competitive in 4wd unless you run 9s, RWD unless you run 10s, and FWD unless you run 11s, its not even fun to do it, just a whole load of money and fuck all else.
Old 27-06-2006, 07:43 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

You sure he's never wrong, I have something from his favourite website, Migweb...

Same car, look at the run on the far left and far right...

The far left one is a slower 60ft and 330ft and 1/8th mile and speed at the eighth, but look at the ET and terminal speed, its the dead same ET, but a higher terminal on the slower launch run...

Now Im sure, somewhere in this thread Chip adamantly said that a quicker 60ft will make it faster a faster time at the end of the strip...

OWNED!
Old 27-06-2006, 07:48 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

BTW, my cat says OWNED too..but he's sitting here licking his balls, so I can't take him too seriously...
Old 27-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

IMO faster 60ft time seems to slow the terminal speed too.

Countless times ive seen that, shit launches seem to end in the fastest terminals.

Remember a certain 2.8sec 60ft that suddenly ended in a 160mph terminal, twas mental.
Old 27-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Remember a certain 2.8sec 60ft that suddenly ended in a 160mph terminal, twas mental.
Nah, i only managed 96 i think
Old 27-06-2006, 07:56 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Countless times ive seen that, shit launches seem to end in the fastest terminals.

Hence my point all along that there are no way that you can 'accurately' work out if a time is going to better or not, when you are relying on just tenths of seconds being gained at the very start of the track. Its just as easy to lose a tenth than as to gain it...
Old 27-06-2006, 08:00 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

You could pull a 2.8 and a high terminal with loads of wheelspin or a wrong gear launch..

This is why that 5's 1.9 isnt that great on launch. It has a really long final drive, it does 57 in first, 85 in second and 125 in third, hence the bogging down on launch.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Normally if a car runs a faster 60ft, its 1/4 time will be faster time and speed, (but that is as long as both runs are the driven same after 60ft).
Old 27-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Dave that slip you spent a few hours looking for in a desperate attempt to prove me wrong proves uterly nothing of the sort im afraid.

You have also TOTALLY missed the point of what i was saying and only actually focussed on a tiny part of it out of context.

What i said was, that if andy's car had enough grip to be 4 tenths quicker to 60ft it would mean that he could dial more nitrous in sooner and hence run a higher terminal speed due to the extra grip allowing him to use more power, the car in that slip did NOT do that so it didnt see gains from doing that.

I did not EVER say that the same car with a tiny bit more grip and no difference in power to utilise it would run a higher terminal because i KNOW FOR A FACT that is not the case in most instances, cause ive experienced EXACTLY that myself first hand in drag racing when i won the nova shootout the year before last at the pod, i increased grip a little with different tyres and saw a decrease in 60ft but also a decrease in terminal speed because the extra grip then means you have more rolling resistance on the way up the drag strip which results in a LOWER terminal speed slightly, thats exactly what would i would expect to happen and have never said otherwise if based on not having any more power available to make use of the grip.

HOWEVER in the case of andy's car, the one i was talking about, he has a LOT more power availabe than he is using on the first half the strip so IN HIS CASE it would mean a higher terminal as he could now use that power sooner.

Again this is something i did on my nova, the run after my terminal dropped slightly and my 60ft dropped slightly i dialled in a little more nitrous sooner on and i saw an increase in my terminal from utilising the extra grip, which is the same as what would happen to andy.

All you are proving by trying to take half of what ive said out of context and then disprove just that bit after you've twisted it round is that you simply dont have enough understanding to appreciate the difference between more grip AND more power used earlier on, and just more grip.

Just accept that you are wrong, cause you dont half look a fool when you tell someone you have OWNED them but in reality all you did was prove you didnt understand all along!

I will spell it out for in EXPLICIT detail simplified enough for even you to grasp of what would happen on andys car with significantly grippier tyres:

Run on normal tyres
get time X and terminal Y

Run again with same nitrous settings on gripier typres
get time less than X and terminal less than Y

Alter the nitrous settings to take advantage of the new grip
get time less than X and terminal greater than Y

NOW do you understand?
Old 27-06-2006, 10:20 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, im making no assumptions, im basing it purely on the results.

The current spec car with the current spec driver wouldnt run the same 60ft with less grip.

:
Who said its anything to do with grip...

Maybe he just didnt get a good lauch....

Oh, sorry, Im assuming here...

If you get a crap 60ft, it can only be wheelspin cant it!??
utter shite,especially when ur talking about a turbod 5 in this thread,if you get the revs wrong (too low) do u honestly think ull be wheelspinning for 60ft?or will it take that long to spool up the turbo while u potter along?

Quick Reply: FWD Drag Record Set