General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FWD Drag Record Set

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2006, 11:37 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark B
work what out?

OK the R5 does a quick time on slick's

the corsa does a quick time on road tyres,

until the corsa puts a time down on slicks theres no point in guessing the times or comparing it to other cars with similar mods,

So the R5 is a quicker drag car the corsa is a quicker road car,

is that fair?

MB.
No, the R5 does not do a quick time on slicks, 1.9 60ft is not quick, and when Chip works out why by looking at the video, he can explain to everybody beneath him why....
Old 27-06-2006, 11:39 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

work what out?

until the corsa puts a time down on slicks theres no point in guessing the times or comparing it to other cars with similar mods,

is that fair?

MB.
Thats right, chip is just assuming, that the R5 will do like a 13+ on road tyres, when he has no evidence of this...

Its just him hoping....
Old 27-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

... and in all honesty ... who gives a fuck anyway!
Old 27-06-2006, 11:42 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Jonzy
Chip does, its consuming him with rage as we speak...
Old 27-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveAVT
work what out?

is that fair?

MB.
Thats right, chip is just assuming, that the R5 will do like a 13+ on road tyres, when he has no evidence of this...

Its just him hoping....

Thats weird, ive just looked back through this thread and cant find the bit you are talking about where i make that assumption?
Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out where i said it would run 13s or you could just stop talking nonsense ( although it STILL doesnt compare in scale to your ".4 off the 60ft = .4 off the ET" in terms of nonsense )

Ive never once guessed at the time the R5 will do on normal road tyres as i dont know enough about it to make that judgement, i know enough about the corsa to know it would better the R5 time if it was on slicks, but i cant make the comparison the other way round with any confidence so ive avoided doing so as i would hate to look the tool that you do on here

I must confess i do believe now you have brought it up though that it will be slower on road tyres, but thats not really an assumption its just me giving the guy who owns it credit for not being so stupid that he would spend a load of money on slicks that dont make his car any quicker and yet instantly disqualify him from claiming it as a roadcar time, i couldnt possibly quantify how much slower it would be though.
Old 27-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Jonzy
Chip does, its consuming him with rage as we speak...

You are right i DO care about helping people understand things about cars, its not consuming me with rage though, in fact its making me laugh (at you and your inability to grasp basics like getting .4 off your 60ft will improve your time by more than .4), that wish to help those who dont understand things very well is obvious from all my posts on this forum, so ive been quite happy to keep explaining it to you again and again why they arent two things you can just compare directly cause the corsa is a fast road car and the R5 is a slow drag car and its pointless to compare the two for that reason.
Old 27-06-2006, 11:49 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by chip-3door
work what out?

is that fair?

MB.

Its just him hoping....

Thats weird, ive just looked back through this thread and cant find the thread where i make that assumption?
Ive never once guessed at the time the R5 will do on normal road tyres as i dont know enough about it to make that judgement, i know enough about the corsa to know it would better the R5 time if it was on slicks, but i cant make the comparison the other way round with any confidence so ive avoided doing so as i would hate to look the tool that you do on here

I must confess i do believe now you have brought it up though that it will be slower on road tyres, but thats not really an assumption its just me giving the guy who owns it credit for not being so stupid that he would spend a load of money on slicks that dont make his car any quicker and yet instantly disqualify him from claiming it as a roadcar time, i couldnt possibly quantify how much slower it would be though.
Well yes, youve said the 5's 60ft is crap, as cars on road tyres can do a 1.9 60ft..

So there is no evidence that the 5 can't do a 1.9 on road tyres, apart from you ranting....

And all the reasons you put for the 5 having a crap launch didnt include if the guy can actually lauch a car well!!

Don't worry though, thats not the reason, he can launch perfectly well....
Old 27-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Anonymous
Banned

And all the reasons you put for the 5 having a crap launch didnt include if the guy can actually lauch a car well!!
Originally Posted by chip-3door TWICE IN THIS THREAD SO FAR
he should let your cat drive instead cause he has all the gear and no idea

Old 27-06-2006, 11:55 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out where i said it would run 13s or you could just stop talking nonsense ( although it STILL doesnt compare in scale to your ".4 off the 60ft = .4 off the ET" in terms of nonsense )

Chip, you need to study lots and lots of timeslips to get a grasp of what can happen...

A car can do two runs, one has a 60ft 0.4 seconds faster than the other, it does not mean the car is travelling faster than the slow 60ft run at 330ft, which thus can mean, it is possible for a similar or even slower terminal over the line, which can affect the ET..

So yes, a 0.4 second gain on 60ft, could be the same at the end, or more, or less...
Old 27-06-2006, 11:58 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

My cat has just been sick on your hobnob.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:02 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Pics of this Corsa - looks quite the sleeper!

PMSL @ Stavros and drag racing is gay He has a point!
Old 27-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip, you need to study lots and lots of timeslips to get a grasp of what can happen...
I have, especially of the car you were referring to, i know intimately the spec of the engine and nitrous kit, in fact i am one of the people he takes advice from on it as it happens, and i know FOR A FACT that on this car that enough extra grip for .4 off the 60ft would result in FAR more than .4 seconds off the ET.

There are two main reasons for this
1) He would be holding more MPH from the 60ft point so will cover the next 60ft quicker too
2) He would be able to utilise the extra grip to allow him to feed the nitrous in more aggressively sooner which would allow him to accelerate harder all the way to the 330ft marker or so

A car can do two runs, one has a 60ft 0.4 seconds faster than the other, it does not mean the car is travelling faster than the slow 60ft run at 330ft,
by 330ft if there was no extra power laid down to take advantage of the extra grip (so not relevant to this disucssion as andy would LOVE to be able to put the gas on sooner and would be much quicker to 330ft) then yes you are correct (wahoo, its a small victory for you in the battle against the basics but at least its a start!) it would be doing approx the same speed, although it would be there more than .4 seconds early as although the speed difference would be levelled out more or less by 330ft it certainly wouldnt be by 100ft

which thus can mean, it is possible for a similar or even slower terminal over the line, which can affect the ET..
So yes, a 0.4 second gain on 60ft, could be the same at the end, or more, or less...
It wont ever result in less gain on the ET than on the 60ft unless something else in the run effects it like he misses 3rd gear or similar.
Thats just you talking nonsense again im afraid mate.

You can spend all day trying to dream up a situation where that would happen but you wont get anywhere as its just not the case at all.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Lovely attempt at trying to divert attention away from you being blatantly wrong by using humour.

Clearly you must be experienced at this stuff, so i take it that you have tried to argue about stuff you know nothing about on the internet before too?
Old 27-06-2006, 12:11 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

If its that simple chip, why can a car do two runs, one quicker time than the other but a slower terminal...?

Its not that chalk and cheese, there are loads of variables at every point that can affect the run, and times and distances covered at each marker point.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Shell
Advanced PassionFord User

So there is no evidence that the 5 can't do a 1.9 on road tyres, apart from you ranting.....
There is no evidence he can... is there!?

I have spent my dinner reading this thread... Chip... how are those copy and paste skills coming on now then... it going okay??

Can you not just get the cars down to santa pod... put them both on road tyres and see what happens... I think i might have a good idea...
Old 27-06-2006, 12:13 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Lovely attempt at trying to divert attention away from you being blatantly wrong by using humour.

Clearly you must be experienced at this stuff, so i take it that you have tried to argue about stuff you know nothing about on the internet before too?
No chip, i was diverting the attention away from yourself as you still hadnt said the reason behind the video...

I could have said it had gone stale instead of being sick on, but that would have drawn attention to the amount of time youve taken...

I do argue with idiots quite alot, normally about VNTs and T4 turbine wheels...
Old 27-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Anonymous
Banned

If its that simple chip, why can a car do two runs, one quicker time than the other but a slower terminal...?

Its not that chalk and cheese, there are loads of variables at every point that can affect the run, and times and distances covered at each marker point.

You answered your own question there Dave, there are loads of reasons, without being trackside for the two runs in question and knowing something about the car, it would be impossible to say.

Is this complete tangent you are going off at an attempt to change the subject away from all your blatant fuckups in trying to understand the whole slick/non-slick thing?

Thats why generally when comparing two cars (like say a fast road car and a slow drag car) people will typically compare their PB runs (like we have here) in order to remove some of those complex variables from the equation, its still not comparing like with like though, as ive been trying to explain to you for several pages now, as one is a fast road car and the other is a slow drag car.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:15 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Shell
So there is no evidence that the 5 can't do a 1.9 on road tyres, apart from you ranting.....

I have spent my dinner reading this thread... Chip... how are those copy and paste skills coming on now then... it going okay??

Can you not just get the cars down to santa pod... put them both on road tyres and see what happens... I think i might have a good idea...
Thats a great idea - it beats speculation...
Old 27-06-2006, 12:17 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Is this complete tangent you are going off at an attempt to change the subject away from all your blatant fuckups in trying to understand the whole slick/non-slick thing?

So chip, slicks DEFINATELY give an advantage over road tyres?
Old 27-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Anonymous
Banned

None at all, and strong circumstantial evidence that it cant yet[/quote]

Getting there now but its getting a bit tedious saying the same thing to him again and again and him still not grasping it

Or TOTB, the corsa is going there anyway so thats an easy one.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:20 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

None at all, and strong circumstantial evidence that it cant yet
Where?

CHIP, answer the damn question about the video!
Old 27-06-2006, 12:24 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Old 27-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Where?
The fact it hasnt yet managed better than that on slicks, but obviously that doesnt mean it absolutely cant, hence the term "circumstantial" in my reply as i wouldnt like to do what you do with making sweeping and innacurate statements like you did on the .4 seconds thing

Cor blimey, you sound as frustrated as i was the other day when you were going on and on about VNT turbos on cossies as if you had experience and then when i asked you how many cossie your had mapped or VNT cars in general you had mapped you just kept avoiding answering it cause you didnt want to admit the truth

I will watch the video when i get home from work though if it matters THAT much to you (im in work at the moment so cant watch it).
Old 27-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Anonymous
Banned

On andy's corsa that we were talking about?

YES i can state that absolutely without a shadow of a doubt they would.

hope that helps
Old 27-06-2006, 12:35 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

hope that helps
No, you saying that it gives an advantage to the 5 and would run a crap time on road tyres...
Old 27-06-2006, 12:40 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Where?
The fact it hasnt yet managed better than that on slicks, but obviously that doesnt mean it absolutely cant, hence the term "circumstantial" in my reply as i wouldnt like to do what you do with making sweeping and innacurate statements like you did on the .4 seconds thing

Cor blimey, you sound as frustrated as i was the other day when you were going on and on about VNT turbos on cossies as if you had experience and then when i asked you how many cossie your had mapped or VNT cars in general you had mapped you just kept avoiding answering it cause you didnt want to admit the truth

I will watch the video when i get home from work though if it matters THAT much to you (im in work at the moment so cant watch it).
Can't be as frustrating as you editing all your posts all the time

Mapping a VNT, easy when you have the actuator sensor, that everybody in the thread realised it had, and you didnt...

I why would I map one on a cossie, I dont' own a cossie, Ive never mapped a cossie, Ive never fitted a VNT to a cossie..

But then mapping a VNT is easy without the sensor too..

Back to tyres..
Old 27-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

hope that helps
No, you saying that it gives an advantage to the 5 and would run a crap time on road tyres...
Well unless it was wet, (in which case the entire argument you have been trying to have for the last couple of hours is a bit pointless as obviously the numbers are going to vary massively in the wet) i do think slicks are an advantage on a big power FWD car compared to road tyres yes.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:41 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

End of the day, all you do it use an AFM, not the shitty map sensor type you were going on about. Too difficult with a VNT...
Old 27-06-2006, 12:42 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

hope that helps
Well unless it was wet, (in which case the entire argument you have been trying to have for the last couple of hours is a bit pointless as obviously the numbers are going to vary massively in the wet) i do think slicks are an advantage on a big power FWD car compared to road tyres yes.
NO

Try again...
Old 27-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Where?

Can't be as frustrating as you editing all your posts all the time

Mapping a VNT, easy when you have the actuator sensor, that everybody in the thread realised it had, and you didnt...

I why would I map one on a cossie, I dont' own a cossie, Ive never mapped a cossie, Ive never fitted a VNT to a cossie..

But then mapping a VNT is easy without the sensor too..

Back to tyres..
So how many VNT cars was it you've mapped again?

Still looks like you are avoiding answering that one
Old 27-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Anonymous
Banned

End of the day, all you do it use an AFM, not the shitty map sensor type you were going on about. Too difficult with a VNT...
absolutely in tears

thats exactly what i did say

Jaycos, one thing that no one has mentioned to you yet, is that if you were trying to nail one onto the side of the YB you would have some serious issues with trying to map it as you dont have an airflow meter.
MAP sensor based systems arent going to cope with the VNT units at all well.
The problem with the VNT turbo is that you get different VE from the engine at the same RPM and same boost depending on what the vanes are doing at the time, hence different airflow.
So its like you are trying to map a car and not know if its going to be a T34 one minute and a T4 the next

L8 etc wont cope with that, you need either an AFM, or you need to know where the vanes are at the time via some other method.

But this thread is going to be a very long one if everytime you realise that you are STILL wrong about that corsa and your claimes of ".4 off the 60ft would be .4 off the ET" for that car, you always try and change the subject to something else
Old 27-06-2006, 12:55 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Chip, i was winding you up in the last post.

MAP sensor is fine..
Old 27-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Apologies, its hard to tell when you are pretending to be an idiot and actually being one as you seem to do both so well

Still not answered the question though Davey my boy about how many VNT cars you have personally mapped as you made it sound like loads in that thread so i was just wondering the actual number
Old 27-06-2006, 01:05 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Apologies, its hard to tell when you are pretending to be an idiot and actually being one as you seem to do both so well

Still not answered the question though Davey my boy about how many VNT cars you have personally mapped as you made it sound like loads in that thread so i was just wondering the actual number
3 or 12, or 0 or 1

I could pick any number out of the air.

but the difference between you an me, is I have VNTs and you don't, and programmable ecus that work with this system, and you don't, so when you have tried one, then jump on a thread and add input..

Otherwise its just more speculation and assumption as with this thread.
Old 27-06-2006, 01:07 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

...tyres, please...
Old 27-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Anonymous
Banned

3 or 12, or 0 or 1

but the difference between you an me, is I have VNTs and you don't, and programmable ecus that work with this system, and you don't, so when you have tried one, then jump on a thread and add input..

PMSL

It so funny that you wont just answer that as we all know its blatantly none
Big deal you have bought some VNT's and bought some ECU's, thats not quite the same as having mapped one at the point you were trying to sound like you had though is it?

I could go and buy a competition spec cricket bat tomorrow but i wouldnt pretend that meant i had played for england when i havent
Old 27-06-2006, 01:12 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

3 or 12, or 0 or 1

PMSL

Big deal you have bought some VNT's and bought some ECU's, thats not quite the same as having mapped one at the point you were trying to sound like you had though is it?

I could go and buy a competition spec cricket bat tomorrow but i wouldnt pretend that meant i had played for england when i havent

He who shouts loudest Chip doesnt always get heard...

The difference with you buying a competition cricket bat Chip, is you would probably be trying to use it to play tennis...
Old 27-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...tyres, please...
Ok, cool, tyres it is

So, you are saying that if andy fits slicks to his corsa and gets .4 better off the 60ft it means that his ET will only drop by .4

So can you just let me know what assumptions you are basing that on?

Im guessing one of them is that despite accelerating SO much harder he wont be going any faster at the 60ft mark and therefore wont cover any additional ground quicker?

Im also guessing that you are making the assumption he wont be able to dial in power on the nitrous kit sooner despite the extra grip level being so huge?

Have you ever actually done a quarter yourself?
Old 27-06-2006, 01:13 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

..or trying to knock your foot out of your mouth...
Old 27-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Anonymous
Banned

3 or 12, or 0 or 1

PMSL

He who shouts loudest Chip doesnt always get heard...

The difference with you buying a competition cricket bat Chip, is you would probably be trying to use it to play tennis...

Sorry how many was that?

NONE?

Ah right, weird you were trying to sound all experienced then

Oh look another joke to try and avoid answering the question, you seem to be good at those

Speaking of humour its funny how im quite happen to talk openly but you have to constantly try and hide the fact you blatantly dont have a clue and try and pretend you have all sorts of experience that you dont by constantly changing the subject or choosing to ignore questions etc.

Quick Reply: FWD Drag Record Set