General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

will the sun fade newly painted radient red

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:05 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default will the sun fade newly painted radient red

my fiesta turbo has recently been resprayed, about 6 months ago. it was done with glasurit paint which is meant to be a good paint. it hasnt been laquered, will the sun fade it as really dont want it to. keep finding myself putting it in the garage as am worried

if it will fade it is there a way to help stop it? ie will wax help? i use p21s concouse wax at the moment
Old 05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
smithy20vt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without the lacquer you will struggle mate
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
bigbobby

dont put wax on it mate if you plan to get it lacquered mate will bring loads of hassle get it covered or get it it the garage. Dont think it will fade with sitting in the sun.

Gaz
Old 05-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Joris_FRST

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was done with glasurit too, but i had it lacquered same time.

Red is shit
Old 05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
smithy20vt

and whatever you do if i does fade dont use T-Cut as it contains ammonia and use a silcone free polish especially seeing that you dont have lacquer
Old 05-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smithy20vt
Without the lacquer you will struggle mate
What u on about?!??!!!

Firstly yea glasurit are 1 of the best brands out there but its got nothing to do with whether its laquered or not lol.

It aint been laquered as they've used straight colour high solids which doesnt need laquering and is alot easier to use. Its the red pigment in the paint that fades over time not whether its laquered or not!!!!

Laquered red paint still fades aswell

Essentially 2pack (high solids) is kinda like coloured laquer!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:14 PM
smithy20vt

Yeah the red pigment in the paint is affected through UV.

The lack of the lacquer will surely make the paint more suseptible as the lacquer acts a protective layer??

So why are very few new cars that come out our a straight colour surely there clear over base
Old 05-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yea but im sure with todays technology they would add UV protective additives to high solids aswell as alot of ppl still like to use it as u dont have to piss about waiting for the bascoat to flash, which alot of ppl use waterbourne now due to it being compulsory in 2007 which takes longer to flash before u can laquer it, when they can just wack a coat of high solids and job done!!! dont quote me on that as i dont make it but im sure smit would know as he works for ICI!!

Obviously it is more hard wearing especially the way technology has changed but its the pgiment in certain colours that dont like UV rays so reguardless they will fade if in direct sunlight all the time.

Couldnt answer as to if most are now all base and laquer or straight colours are still high solids again smit could prob answer that but alot of that will come down to costs of having 2 paint schemes for base and laquer and high solids when you could just have the 1 and the prices they pay for laquer etc in bulk at big plants prob works out pretty cheap. Where as a bodyshop would use both still as you use less materials that base and laquer, well certain ones anyway...........
Old 05-05-2006, 03:38 PM
smithy20vt

Good answer mate

I though the flash process wouldnt to long i thopught the process that slowed the painting dowen was the fact that the ovens are low bake and take about 15mins to warm up then only heat to 60 degrees C.

Ur right aswell its waterbase paints all the way now but the lacquer is still cellulose right.

Im sure that Smit will be able to tell you if there working on water base lacquer.

Your right about the costs being lower with straighcolour HS but its being forced through to lower the Isocynates (spl) in the paint booth
Old 05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No mate laquer u can pretty much wack onto bake straight away so flash off times dont matter(varies obviously with diffrent mix ratio's manufacturers etc!) but the basecoat u dont bake or anything it 'air drys' and waterbourne is a pain in the arse as its more air movement that 'flashes' it off rather than heat althou obvioulsy has to be at the right temps! where as solvent based u just wait for the solvent to evaporate which is pretty quick So alot of places have air dryers to dry waterbase coat quicker.
Bake temps vary aswell as from memory we bake the laquered SLR panels at work at 75-80 degrees but then carbon fibre is differnt to metal as it doesnt radiate heat the same!!

Laquer hasnt been celly for a long time either unless u specifically ask for it its all 2pack and for a long time it was medium solids(thinner but more solvents in it) but now most use high solids which has less isocynates in, no-one uses water based laquer at mo as its known to be pretty shit but im sure at somepoint they'll get it right and then everything will be waterbased and take forever

You prob hit the nail on the head thou there with alot or most being base/laquer due to the isocynates and most big production places will have it all inplace already rather than waiting till next year like alot of smaller sprayshops will as solvent stuff is half the price of waterbased
Old 05-05-2006, 05:01 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

so after all that .....does that answer my question as am confused now.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sorry

No it wont just fade would take years mate and glasurit is good quality paint and i would think/hope they use UV protectors even in high solid paint.

But as with any paintwork especially red's the more u keep it out of direct sunlight the better!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

If its parked in the Sun of course it will fade, thus is the power of the sun!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

my car hasnt faded. It's bright as anything. Providing you have a layer of wax on it, it'll be fine.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My kind of thread, wahoo!

Right, as Tony has said with the HS (High Solids) line it has a very high solid content compare to a normal line like p425-950 black. The pigment is the main factor on weather it fades in direct sunlight. And i can tell you that 99% of the HS line are not effected by ultra voilet light. My company (ICI/PPG) also makes a staggering loss with some high solid products But as lots of customers like the HS line they keep selling it as they make up the difference on other products like P425 Super White or Jet Black. With the new rules in Europe regarding Solvent based paints starting in Jan 2007 everyone will have to use waterbourne colours whether you like it or not! BUT this works differently with primers as the EU regulations state that primers with over 55% solids content are still ok to use... about 85-90% of the primers on the P565/P580 line are well within limits. Off the top of my head i think P565-888 High build filler and P565-510 primer filler (very popular primers) have around a 66% solids content

I can't really see it fading you should stop worrying and enjoy the sunshine more............

If you had brought ICI/PPG stuff i could have gave you a seal of approval, but you didn't.........
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Smit

What do the water laws apply to non pro's - ie will i still be able to use 2pac next year?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Rick - Technically you'll be alright. I'm not 100% sure on that as our company is solely a 100% Industry coating business...Even i can't buy the stuff legally and i make it every foookin day....Figure that one out!

If in doubt buy some before the end of the year, as most paints have a 4 year shelf life........
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rick
Smit

What do the water laws apply to non pro's - ie will i still be able to use 2pac next year?

As im lead to understood most paint suppliers will be selling it till stocks run out then it will stop as the EEC regulation will apply to everyone!!! The problem they will have thou is certain colours dont cover aswell in water as they do solvent still. So it will come down to whether ur local supplier have it still. EG were supposed 2 just use waterbourne basecoats at mclaren but we have trouble with the darker colours so the blues/blacks etc are all still solvent lol.

There was a rumor that commecial use will still be able 2 get it ie bus's trains etc cos like fuck any1 is gona wanna base and laquer a one of them or even a boat or plane but we'll find out soon enough!!

How is development of waterbased laquer coming smit as i heard it was still a load of poo
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Tony - Yep it's complete bollox!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

2 pac rocks. Little fluffy animals should ware masks.