Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

fuel gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 21-04-2018, 06:50 PM
fatboy billy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Default fuel gauge issues

last time i drove my 4x4 sap a few weeks ago before it went to the paint shop the fuel gauge started playing up. All was fine and well was working fine put petrol in and the gauge registered it then when i braked the gauge went to the bottom below zero, then when i came off the brakes the gauge went to the very top above full and stayed there until i braked again.

Has anyone else has an issue like this i assume its an earth but wanted to see if anyone else had had this problem and what it was as don't want to have to drop the tank unless i absolutely have too.

Maybe worth mentioning that the rev counter has a mind of its own too but i put that down to the plugs on the bulkhead but thinking these problems could be related

Cheers Billy
Old 22-04-2018, 11:46 AM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not the same symptoms but I had my gauge intermittently dropping off a few years back that turned out to be a bad connection in a wiring loom plug in the back of the boot between the tail lights from memory. I removed the plug / socket and soldered the wires and haven't had the problem since. David
Old 23-04-2018, 12:59 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

It does sound as if this is a ground issue, probably worth checking the main earth connections in the first instance.

Martin