Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Live engine monitoring options

Search this Thread

Old 22-01-2018, 07:11 PM
scrotenz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Live engine monitoring options

Hi All,

What does everyone recommend nowadays? I see the secs and other options but seem hard to get and i seem to be a dumby on what is needed to acheive this so just wondering what is out there.

Its in a 4x4 L8 green ecu with a stage 1 MSD chip at the mo.

I really just want to get rid of all my gauges so things are neater and be able to use it for fault finding etc. Like the IAW software and have a little display that looks close to period correct etc.

Cheers
Old 22-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I use the toucan, it's brilliant but not sure if it works on l8 out of the box.
Old 23-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

This is what you need and what I am using. Great bit of kit

http://www.cosworthenginemonitor.co.uk
The following users liked this post:
scrotenz (25-01-2018)
Old 23-01-2018, 04:11 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

I believe james at autodynamix is bringing out a cool little monitor for the L8
scrotenz (25-01-2018)
Old 23-01-2018, 12:10 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam-M
I believe james at autodynamix is bringing out a cool little monitor for the L8
Look forward to this.

With SECS you need to solder it to the respective ECU pins, which has always put me off.

Collins also do a monitor.

IAW requires a data stream enabled chip.

Martin
Old 23-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Originally Posted by martysmartie
With SECS you need to solder it to the respective ECU pins, which has always put me off.

Martin
Really its only 5/6 wires and a bit of solder.

I think its a really good bit of kit.

Last edited by Mad_Mat; 23-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 23-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Its not physical ECU live data though via the ones that solder to the sensor wires,

You really want one that will stream data via the serial data stream, so can give far more info and just plugs into the diagnostic port

Last edited by Loomer; 23-01-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 23-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

https://www.autodynamix.co.uk/auto-d...g/dtm-monitor/

This is the one James does, he’s fitting one to my mates escos looks a good bit of kit
scrotenz (25-01-2018)
Old 23-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Yes that does look tidy.
Old 23-01-2018, 06:10 PM
scrotenz

Originally Posted by Mad_Mat

I was just looking at this as its down the path i like. but i havent seen the one below which looks great. I might have to wait to see how the L8 version and mounting options turn out.

This is the one James does, he’s fitting one to my mates escos looks a good bit of kit
Old 23-01-2018, 07:06 PM
mattman1234
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

very nice
I'm tempted,
i agree with the solder thing,,thats what put me of the secs,if you see it through the data port,then you know its a true ecu reading

just looked at his webpage,rolling road/mapping
Old 23-01-2018, 07:37 PM
scrotenz

So with the monitors that need a pectel or collins board i assume that replaces the baby board thats in the L8 as standard? Do these need any soldering or just "plug n Play"?

Where can you buy these from?

Im assuming, but will check that since i have an MSD chip that was bought back in 2011 that the comms is enabled as i read a post from 2006 that Stu said all chis from then on will have it enabled by default. This was when they started supplying the IAW software.

Also im about to install the MSD Wasted Spark kit, is there any considerations here for any of these monitoring options?

Cheers
Old 23-01-2018, 07:51 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Really its only 5/6 wires and a bit of solder.

I think its a really good bit of kit.
I know, but I personally don't like the idea of having to do this.

As said as good as SECS is, it's essentially a voltmeter.

The likes of IAW are a data stream.

Martin
Old 23-01-2018, 08:10 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by scrotenz
So with the monitors that need a pectel or collins board i assume that replaces the baby board thats in the L8 as standard? Do these need any soldering or just "plug n Play"?

Where can you buy these from?

Im assuming, but will check that since i have an MSD chip that was bought back in 2011 that the comms is enabled as i read a post from 2006 that Stu said all chis from then on will have it enabled by default. This was when they started supplying the IAW software.

Also im about to install the MSD Wasted Spark kit, is there any considerations here for any of these monitoring options?

Cheers
The EPROM needs to have a data stream enabled.

The 'boards' are misunderstood, the baby board is native in the L8, if you remove it your essentially left with an L6. The Pectel board allows decryption to run Pectel's software.

Stu is probably referring to his own chips, MSD are the sole distributor of IAW, so that would figure.

No, although as you probably are aware your ECU will need drivers installed for this.

Martin
Old 23-01-2018, 10:38 PM
scrotenz

The 'boards' are misunderstood, the baby board is native in the L8, if you remove it your essentially left with an L6. The Pectel board allows decryption to run Pectel's software.

Martin
Ok i understand that the board is native in the L8, So i wont need anything more for my L8 ecu(ignoring chip specs as ill confirm this) than just whats supplied with these monitors?

I have contacted a couple of suppliers to get some info for what i need also but ill see who gets back to me.

Im thinking ideally id purchase the IAW software for diagnostics etc and one of the live monitoring device/screens for while im driving etc or is this over kill or redundant?
Old 24-01-2018, 05:18 PM
cossie2
Regular Contributor

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi All,

What does everyone recommend nowadays? I see the secs and other options but seem hard to get and i seem to be a dumby on what is needed to acheive this so just wondering what is out there.

Its in a 4x4 L8 green ecu with a stage 1 MSD chip at the mo.

I really just want to get rid of all my gauges so things are neater and be able to use it for fault finding etc. Like the IAW software and have a little display that looks close to period correct etc.

Cheers
Have you checked IECS cosworth monitor...it is really good product
scrotenz (25-01-2018)
Old 24-01-2018, 07:02 PM
scrotenz

Originally Posted by cossie2
Have you checked IECS cosworth monitor...it is really good product
This does look good. I found a link to the instructions which provide better info then just randbmotorsports site. I have emailed them about the collins monitor that i found on their site but i havent heard back.
Old 24-01-2018, 07:05 PM
scrotenz

I have spoken to James about when the L8 support will be available and hes hoping sometime next month so thats not a long wait to see how it turns out! He says it will do the same as the IAW software aswell so this this sounds great. Im curious on the mounting for this in a sapphire dash tho.
Old 24-01-2018, 08:44 PM
2wd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the IESC monitor and find i very good..!
Old 25-01-2018, 10:19 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Its funny that we all love our old fashioned 3Doors, Saffs and Escos cars but want the very latest high tech monitoring systems. Its never bothered me and if I had constant monitoring of everything I would be checking it all the time and worrying if a reading was slightly out from normal and not enjoying driving it!! Good luck to those that like it but its not for me.
Old 25-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The good thing with monitors like the DTM is that they constantly record onto an SD card, so if anything did go wrong, or you want to have a look over the running data, you can just pull the card out and read a full data log, you dont need to constantly look at the gauges.
Old 25-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

It’s nice to know everything is running okay and making the right pressures ect
Old 25-01-2018, 05:22 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Its funny that we all love our old fashioned 3Doors, Saffs and Escos cars but want the very latest high tech monitoring systems. Its never bothered me and if I had constant monitoring of everything I would be checking it all the time and worrying if a reading was slightly out from normal and not enjoying driving it!! Good luck to those that like it but its not for me.
Modern equipment to monitor things can look out of place but to be fair if it can safe guard an engine that’s cost many thousands it’s a no brainier for me. If your car is heavily modded surely oil pressure boost pressure afr water temp things like that are a must to keep an eye on properly
Old 25-01-2018, 06:48 PM
scrotenz

I do agree with what you are saying and im guilty of this but im constantly chasing issues with mine so its really for that plus i like gadgets. I also dont have anyone close that knows enough about cosworths that doesnt leave me feeling like i just paid an expert training time before they fix it.

Ignorance is bliss if your cars running right
Old 25-01-2018, 07:23 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's good to have an insight as to what is happening, it's more about being proactive rather than reactive and could prevent a catastrophe.

As said the DTM's data logging capability is decent as well.

Martin
Old 25-01-2018, 09:29 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

It's good to have an insight as to what is happening, it's more about being proactive rather than reactive and could prevent a catastrophe.

As said the DTM's data logging capability is decent as well.

Martin
Maybe I have been lucky but my engine does not lose oil or fluids, has no oil leaks, has had new engine, fans and fuel pump wiring looms, lots of uprated and new parts and gets serviced on a regular basis and so far despite getting thrashed its hanging together well.I never worry about something going wrong and if it does it will get sorted out.Its a car and no matter what monoriting devices you have there is no such thing as a 100% reliable car.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:16 AM
1374lee
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 91 Likes on 91 Posts

I have spoken to James about when the L8 support will be available and hes hoping sometime next month so thats not a long wait to see how it turns out! He says it will do the same as the IAW software aswell so this this sounds great. Im curious on the mounting for this in a sapphire dash tho.
I am also curious as to where/how it would mount on the sapp dash? Will it fit in the clock binnacle James or can it be fitted so you can remove the screen like a sat nav type possibly?

Thanks. Lee.
Old 28-01-2018, 05:12 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Maybe I have been lucky but my engine does not lose oil or fluids, has no oil leaks, has had new engine, fans and fuel pump wiring looms, lots of uprated and new parts and gets serviced on a regular basis and so far despite getting thrashed its hanging together well.I never worry about something going wrong and if it does it will get sorted out.Its a car and no matter what monoriting devices you have there is no such thing as a 100% reliable car.
I have never had an issue in the years I have owned mine, but monitoring and decent instrumentation are worthwhile investments. I appreciate it's personal preference though.

Martin
Old 31-01-2018, 06:40 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

I too am running one of these, it was already fitted in the car when I bought it though, shows a lot of instant info for a small monitor

Cheers Paul
Old 31-01-2018, 08:23 PM
scrotenz

I'm going till the end of the month to see how the progress on the auto dynamics one comes along and how it mounts. If that doesnt suit then ill probably buy this
http://www.cosworthenginemonitor.co.uk.

I have emailed randbmotorsport twice to get info about the ones on their site but theyve never replied so i wont be buying from them.