Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Oil Breather Connection access

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Oil Breather Connection access

Has anyone connected up a breather system with the engine completely assembled. Obviously it would be a LOT easier with the head removed or at least the manifolds off to get to the bung under the exhaust manifold and the return under the inlet side (4x4 saff). Want to fit one before installing some power upgrades but don't really want to take the manifolds off if I don't have to. Looking at it I am struggling to even see where these connections are, let alone connect something to them. Thanks David
Old 05-10-2017, 11:59 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I think your supposed to return on the exhaust side (to the sump ideally) but this means extra work.

The kidney box (inlet side) is where it breaths from to a catch tank.

'Three way' breathing is the ultimate, but you need a union machined into the cam cover.

As to access, it's not that restrictive.

Martin
Old 05-10-2017, 01:09 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I done mine in-situ you need to work from underneath, breath both sides of the block you can get hose unions for both, I removed the kidney box but some leave it on. The return I went to sump using an adapter which screwed into the drain plug hole but at a later date when it was more convenient I removed the sump weld an adapter on, some drill the cam cover but some say it’s better from either side of the block.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
grcossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

On 4x4 you can use the oe Return to sump, who are under kidney box
Old 10-10-2017, 03:27 AM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the answers. I was intending to return to the OE return under the kidney box and breathe from both the exhaust side which currently has a bung which has the knock sensor wiring attached, and the original hole that has the kidney box attached. The real question I was asking which is probably answered by Martin and Tosh was whether I could make all these connections without disassembling the engine at all (manifolds etc) as it looks very difficult to get in there to connect the hoses. Another question is why do these breather catch tanks vent to atmosphere and not feed back into the intake after separation of the oil and vapour. Assume you would need too still use some sort of PCV valve if you wanted to do this. Thanks again. David.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

The answer to your question, is because this is the preferable way.

Breathing back to the engine (and burning the oil) is not desirable on a performance engine, as it can cause detonation.

Martin
Old 12-10-2017, 08:09 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did mine all in situ, not that difficult.

However engine is now out with modded sump etc awaiting me to re-fit it.
Old 13-10-2017, 10:13 AM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Thanks again for the answers. Glad to hear from someone that has done it with everything in situ. Just need to get on with it now. Cheers David
Old 15-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

If you need any pictures just ask as my head is off at the moment so both breathing ports either side of the block are visible and can take pictures if you need.
Old 18-10-2017, 10:15 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the offer Adam but I think I have found all the connection points I need. The following thread had some pictures that helped.
https://passionford.com/forum/genera...-cosworth.html
Cheers
David