Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Heavy smoke on boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 PM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heavy smoke on boost

Went to the local Rs meet tonight and on the way home every time I accelerated hard up through the box I had loads of thick smoke bellowing out the back. A mate following me said at times you couldn't see the back of the car it was so thick. He also said it didn't smell like oil and thinks it was black in colour.
Dropped my mate off then accelerated hard a few times when I had headlights behind me and no smoke at all.

If it was over fueling would this not do it all the time or could something else be causing it ?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Its just a Cossie being a Cossie.

My car can do it from time to time, nothing too bad but smoke from cold, I have seen lots of Cossies do it on track days.

I had mine checked by Mark Shead and it had a clean bill of health in terms of compression / cylinder leak down. We just put it down to some tolerances being less than ideal.

Modern ECU or good remap along with a new Turbo might help clean it up but could be any number of things such as worn guides, fuelling, Turbo, rings etc....

If it were me I would start with leak down test and consider a live map if on standard ECU.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:00 PM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

I'm running pectel T2 management and loom and car was live mapped and ran fine.

After further investigation it's looking like the smoke was caused by over fueling badly as it is looking like my ECT sensor has packed up or not reading what it should so on full boost the ecu thinks the engine is cold and was dumping fuel in.

New ECT sensor ordered so will fit that and see what readings I get from the monitor once all parts turn up on Thursday.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Sounds like a simple fix then, hope it cures it for good.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM
cossie51
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Sounds like a simple fix then, hope it cures it for good.
After driving it hard for 10 minutes and it kicking out loads of what looked like black smoke my ECT reading was only 67 degrees and that should of been 90 + degrees.

Engine has only done about 3500 miles since a full top and bottom rebuild and mapping but I didn't use the car for the last 3 years and am now finding all the silly little faults since putting it back on the road.