Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

closed loop chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default closed loop chips

Looking to buy a new chip for my red top 4x4 from MSD to run with 803 greens.(in NZ so a bit hard to get live mapped) Thought while I am at it I should probably get the closed loop option to hopefully help my fuel consumption. So a few questions. Does this system use a wide or narrow band O2 sensor and is this included in the extra 100 GBP that this costs. Is this system any different to what is used on a green top 4x4. I am under the impression (probably wrongly) that the best (but still safe) economic fuel consumption is achieved at a figure leaner than Stoichiometric but thought a narrow band sensor only really can sense if it is at that figure or not. Interested in someone explaining how the system works if it does indeed use a narrow band sensor. Also can anyone confirm if their (MSD's) chips have the option set to output serial data to allow the use of the IAW software. Thanks David
Old 01-05-2017, 07:14 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

David the msd system uses a narrow band sensor and is not included so you will have to buy one.
Yes the chip can still run with the iaw software just ask Stu to enable comms.

On mine on 55lbs i can get over 30 mpg off boost and it drives really well for a 94k car.

For the indeepth info you will have to ask Stu but its well worth it imo.

Hope that helps
Paul
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Just to add if you have wideband most will give a narrow band signal to the ecu which will work.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi David,
The Weber only has the circuitry to understand the narrowband input.
Every engines best fuel economy comes at a different figure and the problem you have is getting the best balance between responce and economy.

The YB hates anything under 15:1 and with bad cams it can hate anything leaner than 13.5:1 too so it can all be a little spec specific but in general, 1970's technology low compression tractor engines are ok at lambda 1, but dont like leaner, they lose too much torque.

Some of my closed loop cals run richer than Lambda 1, but non run leaner... it totally depends on the spec.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:34 PM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the answers Paul and Stu. Stu I will order the chip as advised by email. Thanks again. David