Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Oil leak on my Dax Rush Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Ashley templeman
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak on my Dax Rush Cosworth

Help required, new member!

I have quite a high powered YB cosworth engine in my Dax Rush and have engine oil (very small) on the bottom of my gear box, right where the gear box meets the engine, is this likely to be the half moon or the rear main seal on the engine? Unfortunately on the Dax you have to remove the whole engine to do the rear main seal so I want to be sure. Like I said it's engine oil on the bottom of the gear box, I was just wondering if it was a half moon would it leak through the gear box sandwich plate causing it to drip from the gear box?
Old 20-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Hi Ashley, welcome to the forum. I am on the Surrey / Hants border. I have a tiny bit of oil that collects there too (205 Pug 4x4 Cossie), it is more of a fine mist of oil and doesn't even drip on to the floor. I suspect your theory is correct.

I assume the engine has to come out through the top on a Dax?
Old 20-03-2017, 01:16 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

It will be the half moon seal at the ends where it needs to be sealed.
Old 20-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Ashley templeman

Hi Caddyshack and thanks, I live near Staines so not too far, would be good to meet sometime and see your car. Yes the engine goes in from the top and is basically shoehorned into place, so I would like to avoid that if possible, but I'll do it if I have to of course.

Costina thanks for the reply, I hope this is the case and not the rear seal, I guess it's worth doing the sump first and hoping it stops, I can't stand having oil leaks!!

Last edited by Ashley templeman; 20-03-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 20-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Ashley templeman

Bad photo but the top part is the gear box with oil on and the bottom part is my sump. Hope that makes sense
Old 20-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ashley templeman
Hi Caddyshack and thanks, I live near Staines so not too far, would be good to meet sometime and see your car. Yes the engine goes in from the top and is basically shoehorned into place, so I would like to avoid that if possible, but I'll do it if I have to of course.

Costina thanks for the reply, I hope this is the case and not the rear seal, I guess it's worth doing the sump first and hoping it stops, I can't stand having oil leaks!!
Cool, nice and local! I am near Grayshott, just down the A3 where the tunnel is. I have got proper ramps in my garage if you need a hand doing it one weekend?

There are a couple of other Dax Cossies on here. I used to have a Tiger 6 with Zetec and Throttle bodies...was 220bhp.
Old 20-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Ashley templeman

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Cool, nice and local! I am near Grayshott, just down the A3 where the tunnel is. I have got proper ramps in my garage if you need a hand doing it one weekend?

There are a couple of other Dax Cossies on here. I used to have a Tiger 6 with Zetec and Throttle bodies...was 220bhp.
That could come in handy! I'll order up the gasket, filter, oil and let you know!

Awesome, yeah I only just got the Dax, I love it, running 570bhp at the rear wheels, absolutely mental but I love it!
Old 20-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

That could come in handy! I'll order up the gasket, filter, oil and let you know!

Awesome, yeah I only just got the Dax, I love it, running 570bhp at the rear wheels, absolutely mental but I love it!
Wow, that is big power in such a little thing! My 205 is 469bhp currently and that is a weapon...the 4x4 does help.
Old 20-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Ashley templeman

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Wow, that is big power in such a little thing! My 205 is 469bhp currently and that is a weapon...the 4x4 does help.
That's wicked! Yeah it really is nuts, fortunately the guy I got it from installed traction control and the sensitivity can be changed from inside the car, had it out the other week and traction set to the minimum (not off but minimum) surprising how much traction the car actually gets, it only cuts in now and again and is very mild when it does.
Old 20-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Probably rear crank seal area if it comes from the base of the bellhousing and none on your sump, mine does exactly the same.
I'm not bothered about it, too much hastle to attempt to fix. Did it before and after engine rebuilds
Old 20-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Ashley templeman

Originally Posted by Ridgey
Probably rear crank seal area if it comes from the base of the bellhousing and none on your sump, mine does exactly the same.
I'm not bothered about it, too much hastle to attempt to fix. Did it before and after engine rebuilds
This is what I was afraid of 😞! I'm gonna run it for the summer, I'll just keep an eye on it and my oil level, and wait till winter I think.

Last edited by Ashley templeman; 20-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 20-03-2017, 07:44 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

I done a clutch on mine and when the fly was off being skimmed i had the usual wipe around.

Fitted it all back up and started the engine and within minutes had a puddle on the floor.
Box out again only to find i had pulled some of the sealer out . Degreased and wiped some back in and its sorted.

Mine was easy as its 2wd.
Old 20-03-2017, 07:52 PM
mattman1234
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

same here,few minor leaks,think it stems from the cam cover
Old 20-03-2017, 10:41 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by costina
I done a clutch on mine and when the fly was off being skimmed i had the usual wipe around.

Fitted it all back up and started the engine and within minutes had a puddle on the floor.
Box out again only to find i had pulled some of the sealer out . Degreased and wiped some back in and its sorted.

Mine was easy as its 2wd.
A long time ago I rebuilt a Cortina 1600e crossflow engine and somehow left out a half moon crank gasket!! Started it up and wondered why all the oil was coming out!!! You learn by mistakes!!!
Old 20-03-2017, 10:43 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Wow!!!! In such a lightweight car that must be mental
Old 21-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Ashley templeman

Originally Posted by mattman1234
same here,few minor leaks,think it stems from the cam cover
That DAX looks lovely!!
The following users liked this post:
mattman1234 (22-03-2017)