Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Won't change down gear (type 9)

Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face Won't change down gear (type 9)

Hi all. I've just fitted a replacement type 9 box into my xr4i. The gearbox goes up the gears without issue but it is a real struggle to go down, to the extent that sometimes when trying to pull it into gear (for example 5th to 4th) it'll grind then eventually go in with a real heavy click.

Really hope it's not a dud box that I have and is there anything else it could be like a stretched clutch cable? I've also fitted a new adjuster clutch quadrant at the same time the box was changed.

Advice appreciated.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Sierrasideways
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry I can't help with the box issue but maybe kicking bishop Brennan up the arse would help llllllllllooooooooooollllllllllll
The following users liked this post:
Robmatheson (12-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:52 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Has it got the right spec oil in it as type9 boxes are very fussy......
Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Robmatheson
Hi all. I've just fitted a replacement type 9 box into my xr4i. The gearbox goes up the gears without issue but it is a real struggle to go down, to the extent that sometimes when trying to pull it into gear (for example 5th to 4th) it'll grind then eventually go in with a real heavy click.

Really hope it's not a dud box that I have and is there anything else it could be like a stretched clutch cable? I've also fitted a new adjuster clutch quadrant at the same time the box was changed.

Advice appreciated.
Sounds like the clutch may be dragging, if not could unfortunately be selector problem in the box.
Old 13-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Sounds like the clutch may be dragging, if not could unfortunately be selector problem in the box.
What do you mean by dragging bud? Goes into all gears nobother when running parked and changes up when driving if a little bit notchy.

Originally Posted by costina
Has it got the right spec oil in it as type9 boxes are very fussy......
Yes, it's got 75 90 semi synthetic in it.
Old 13-03-2017, 10:26 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What do you mean by dragging bud? Goes into all gears nobother when running parked and changes up when driving if a little bit notchy.

Yes, it's got 75 90 semi synthetic in it.
How much movement have you got in the clutch pedal from when you put it in gear with pedal down to it fully engaging and moving off? Even if you have a clutch problem changing up is still always easier than changing down.
The strange thing is with what you have is when the car is stationary it goes into the gears with no problems so that seems to rule out clutch problems.
Faulty clutch would be the easiest thing to fix but if you can rule that out 100% you have to suspect an internal gear selector problem.
Was it a rebuilt gearbox you have put in? If so it must have some sort of guarantee on it?
Old 15-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

How much movement have you got in the clutch pedal from when you put it in gear with pedal down to it fully engaging and moving off? Even if you have a clutch problem changing up is still always easier than changing down.
The strange thing is with what you have is when the car is stationary it goes into the gears with no problems so that seems to rule out clutch problems.
Faulty clutch would be the easiest thing to fix but if you can rule that out 100% you have to suspect an internal gear selector problem.
Was it a rebuilt gearbox you have put in? If so it must have some sort of guarantee on it?
Not much movement, pretty low bite. It was a gearbox from a scrap car so no guarantees!

I think I've made a bit of a f*ck up myself and fitted the wrong adjuster quadrant. It was a white one that was originally fitted and I've fitted a black one. Apparently they're slightly different according to colour (although looked the same when I had them next to each other on the workbench). So I've ordered a white one. Hopefully this will sort it. 😳
Old 15-03-2017, 08:12 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not much movement, pretty low bite. It was a gearbox from a scrap car so no guarantees!

I think I've made a bit of a f*ck up myself and fitted the wrong adjuster quadrant. It was a white one that was originally fitted and I've fitted a black one. Apparently they're slightly different according to colour (although looked the same when I had them next to each other on the workbench). So I've ordered a white one. Hopefully this will sort it. 😳
well that seems like it is the problem and not to hard to sort out.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Well I've fitted the correct quadrant now and it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. It's as if the clutch isn't operating fully. Is there a trick to adjusting the clutch once the cable's fitted or?

Bloody strange as there was no issues before the old box shat itself.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:32 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I've fitted the correct quadrant now and it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. It's as if the clutch isn't operating fully. Is there a trick to adjusting the clutch once the cable's fitted or?

Bloody strange as there was no issues before the old box shat itself.
I am not sure how you adjust a cable operated clutch. I got fed up with how crap the clutch operation was on my 2wd Saff and changed over to a hydraulic clutch. Best thing I have done!
Old 23-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Right I'm going to change the gearbox oil again as a last resort before the box comes off again. I've got the propshaft out of the box and the front of the car jacked up to drain out the oil.

Ive read a few various threads online about which oil to use. Comma Sx75W-90 GL4 is what's going in. Anybody have any objections to this oil before I put it in 😂 ?
Old 23-03-2017, 08:27 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right I'm going to change the gearbox oil again as a last resort before the box comes off again. I've got the propshaft out of the box and the front of the car jacked up to drain out the oil.

Ive read a few various threads online about which oil to use. Comma Sx75W-90 GL4 is what's going in. Anybody have any objections to this oil before I put it in 😂 ?
Sounds like it should be the correct oil, put it in and hopefully it may be the solution to the problem.
Old 24-03-2017, 04:55 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

I would.not put comma in a lawn mower let alone a car......

Have you tried fitting some washer between the cable and the belhousing to space the cable in affect shortening the cable????

Cheap and worth a shot.
Old 25-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

Sounds like it should be the correct oil, put it in and hopefully it may be the solution to the problem.
It was still the same. I took it to my mechanic mate and let him take it for a spin to get a better idea. He reckons it's the clutch dragging, so I've ordered a clutch kit! Fun job for next week!

Originally Posted by costina
I would.not put comma in a lawn mower let alone a car......

Have you tried fitting some washer between the cable and the belhousing to space the cable in affect shortening the cable????

Cheap and worth a shot.
Comma was what the kit car forum lads where advising to get, what would you recommend? I've not tried that, would the quadrant adjuster not just readjust automatically though ?
Old 25-03-2017, 04:50 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It was still the same. I took it to my mechanic mate and let him take it for a spin to get a better idea. He reckons it's the clutch dragging, so I've ordered a clutch kit! Fun job for next week!

Comma was what the kit car forum lads where advising to get, what would you recommend? I've not tried that, would the quadrant adjuster not just readjust automatically though ?
I did think it may be the clutch dragging right from the start, a new clutch kit will sort it out.Good luck.
Old 25-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Robmatheson
Oxygen Thief

I did think it may be the clutch dragging right from the start, a new clutch kit will sort it out.Good luck.
You did! Think I was in denial because I don't wanna pull the box of again

Ah well, one thing after another!

Search this Thread