Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Black smoke and oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2016, 10:14 AM
j.hammond1
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black smoke and oil loss

When driving to classic ford, I was told by my mate who was following me that I was getting the odd cloud of black smoke out my exhaust, I think this is only when booting it.

On top of this, my engine has never used any oil but when I got back from CF it had dropped down the dipstick by around 1/4. I have since driven the car on a couple of decent runs and it hasn't used any more oil.

I checked the turbo to intercooler hose and it looks dirty from oil but isn't wet or dripping.

Any ideas what could be causing this or what I should start to look at?

The car has a power boost valve type fuel regulator fitted which I understand puts more fuel in when revving hard, could this be the cause of the black smoke?

Turbo is standard T3, 4x4 cossy, stage 1.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 25-06-2016, 11:19 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by j.hammond1
When driving to classic ford, I was told by my mate who was following me that I was getting the odd cloud of black smoke out my exhaust, I think this is only when booting it.

On top of this, my engine has never used any oil but when I got back from CF it had dropped down the dipstick by around 1/4. I have since driven the car on a couple of decent runs and it hasn't used any more oil.

I checked the turbo to intercooler hose and it looks dirty from oil but isn't wet or dripping.

Any ideas what could be causing this or what I should start to look at?

The car has a power boost valve type fuel regulator fitted which I understand puts more fuel in when revving hard, could this be the cause of the black smoke?

Turbo is standard T3, 4x4 cossy, stage 1.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
It must be running too rich when booting it, black smoke is a sign of this. Should be a fairly simple fix and Cosworth engines do use oil.
As long as its not using a lot of oil nothing to worry about.Maybe on the run to Classic Ford and back you were giving it more welly than you normally do?
Old 25-06-2016, 12:01 PM
j.hammond1

Just had a look at one of the spark plugs and it's definitely running too rich.

I read quite a lot of posts saying cossie's use oil, I was just a bit concerned that mine went from using none to suddenly using a fair bit. I did give it a bit of a thrashing on the way to and from cf so hopefully nothing to worry about, will just keep an eye on it.

Cheers for the advice mate.
Old 25-06-2016, 05:03 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just had a look at one of the spark plugs and it's definitely running too rich.

I read quite a lot of posts saying cossie's use oil, I was just a bit concerned that mine went from using none to suddenly using a fair bit. I did give it a bit of a thrashing on the way to and from cf so hopefully nothing to worry about, will just keep an eye on it.

Cheers for the advice mate.
I was at Classic Ford as well, thought it was a good show.

My 1990 2WD Saff at Classic Ford.

Old 25-06-2016, 05:58 PM
j.hammond1

That car looks amazing, obviously put a lot of time into it.

Mine's still a bit of a bonnet closed car at the moment, hopefully have it looking better by next year.

Yeah was a good show, saw some great cars, nice to see an rs200 actually driven down rather than being on the back of a trailer.
The following users liked this post:
cossynut2 (26-06-2016)
Old 26-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Lovely saff you've got cossienut think it's amazing you've owned it for 21 years I hope to own mines that long.

Op I wouldn't worry about the oil I experienced similar recently on my 10k fully rebuilt engine, hadn't used a drop in ages until one night I went to a car meet my mate took his Impreza which pretty much resulted in a constant high speed race there and back and it didn't half use some oil there. Topped it up and hasn't used any since.

I'd defo look into getting yours live mapped, msd work wonders on them and are great at finding hidden gremlins that you weren't aware of.
The following users liked this post:
cossynut2 (26-06-2016)
Old 26-06-2016, 08:46 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That car looks amazing, obviously put a lot of time into it.

Mine's still a bit of a bonnet closed car at the moment, hopefully have it looking better by next year.

Yeah was a good show, saw some great cars, nice to see an rs200 actually driven down rather than being on the back of a trailer.
The RS200 that had lots of race and rally logos on did look and sound amazing when it went past where I was parked, pretty sure it was the only one there.
I did have lots of people interested in mine and taking photos.I have had it a long time but still love it, 2wd + 450bhp = big smile!
Old 30-06-2016, 08:38 PM
j.hammond1

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Lovely saff you've got cossienut think it's amazing you've owned it for 21 years I hope to own mines that long.

Op I wouldn't worry about the oil I experienced similar recently on my 10k fully rebuilt engine, hadn't used a drop in ages until one night I went to a car meet my mate took his Impreza which pretty much resulted in a constant high speed race there and back and it didn't half use some oil there. Topped it up and hasn't used any since.

I'd defo look into getting yours live mapped, msd work wonders on them and are great at finding hidden gremlins that you weren't aware of.
Cheers, have been trying to book it in for mapping since I bought it but there's always been something that needed fixing first. Going to finally book it in next month though because I want it set up properly and make sure there's no problems I should be worrying about.
Old 30-06-2016, 08:39 PM
j.hammond1

Originally Posted by cossynut2
The RS200 that had lots of race and rally logos on did look and sound amazing when it went past where I was parked, pretty sure it was the only one there.
I did have lots of people interested in mine and taking photos.I have had it a long time but still love it, 2wd + 450bhp = big smile!
Yeah that was the first time I've seen one up close.

Yeah I can imagine you did, looks a stunner.