Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Help with door locks

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Mattcortina

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with door locks

Hi, I'm new here and I have just brought a p100, and it was all in bits! I'm trying to fit the two door locks on, but am struggling as I can get them to shut but not lock. Is there just ment to be 1 rod from the handle to mechanism, and just the one rod from the key barrel to the mechanism?

I have just ordered myself a Haynes manual, but any advice will be greatly appreciated as I don't really have anything to go by, just boxes after boxes of parts!

Thanks, matt
Old 26-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattcortina
Hi, I'm new here and I have just brought a p100, and it was all in bits! I'm trying to fit the two door locks on, but am struggling as I can get them to shut but not lock. Is there just ment to be 1 rod from the handle to mechanism, and just the one rod from the key barrel to the mechanism?

I have just ordered myself a Haynes manual, but any advice will be greatly appreciated as I don't really have anything to go by, just boxes after boxes of parts!

Thanks, matt
As luck would have it I'm just putting my Sierra back together and also took pics when it was coming apart as my memory is crap

Name:  passenger%20front%20door%20lock%202_zpsp9ni6f8r.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  256.2 KB

Name:  passenger%20front%20door%20lock_zps3y0g9bop.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  201.2 KB
Old 26-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Mattcortina

Thanks, that's great help, just what I was after! Hopefully I will have locking doors tommorrow evening!! Thanks
Old 27-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Mattcortina

Thanks for the photos, locks all fitted up and working!
The following users liked this post:
Thrush (14-03-2021)
Old 14-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I would like some help on the door key locks on 91 Saph (Right Hand drive) and thought posting onto this thread would be beneficial as I could not find anything else detailed.

I have a black cam lever and a grey cam lever and assuming one is for the LHS and one for RHS, but which is which? Drivers side I recall has an alarm / central locking sequence where you turn the key the opposite way and hold for a few seconds to disable some programming?

The key locking mech has an open slot where you can see the wafers. So must that open slot be facing in up position or down position? I assumed facing down position as dirt / debris wouldn't get trapped and damage the wafers but I'm not sure.

What I've found so far is the black cam lever can turn both ways, so is that for the drivers door (RHS) and grey cam lever for the passenger side but then the open slot would be facing up and dirt / debris may fall inside?

Please if anyone could assist as this is boggling my brain.

Cheers
Old 21-03-2021, 12:43 AM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Hi All, still needing some help with door locks and door mechs.

I've trial fitted the parts and front doors are not positively locking or unlocking. Is it because it need adjustments?

What I've done is changed my original mechs from the cable type to the 2 lever rod type. At the time I was only able to purchase for 3 doors (2 rear and front drivers side right) and the 4th door (front passenger side left) I've made up from bits and bobs.

Is the NSF main mech different from the OSF main mech. I found some pics off E-bay or does the passenger side the same as the drivers but opposite?

Drivers side

Passenger Side from XR 4x4

Are there different lengths lever rod between the door lock and main mech between the sierra / sapphire models?

Cheers
Old 25-03-2021, 03:43 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

they are specific to each side
one is for the hangle and the other is for the assembly
the facelift 90 spec cars had integral locks and things that were cable operated and the ealier cars had rods
it's all a bit complciated and i've had a bit of the old falling down water but if i remember i'll try to make some sense later today
the door chell has osme changes so you may need ot adjust it with a hammer to make the newr locks fit the older car but it's all about making them more secure and leass easy to break into with a stick
Old 27-03-2021, 07:59 PM
Jack and the Beanstalk
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by dojj
the facelift 90 spec cars had integral locks and things that were cable operated and the ealier cars had rods
it's all a bit complciated and i've had a bit of the old falling down water but if i remember i'll try to make some sense later today
the door chell has osme changes so you may need ot adjust it with a hammer to make the newr locks fit the older car but it's all about making them more secure and leass easy to break into with a stick
So they do not look alike with opposite operation? What I am asking here is does the drivers side mech look identical to the the passenger side mech but opposite or does it look like the above pics i supplied. I'm not sure if I have the correct passenger door mech as I bought that separately from a scrapyard

Not sure what you mean?

I'm doing the opposite, so fitting older style locking mechanism to the newer door ie using push rod system to instead of cable operated. So far only mod / change I had to do was drill a new hole for where the inner handle fits to the door with the one fixing screw

The next question is are the lever rods that appear in Mark V8's first post the correct orientation as I'm copying this as a reference?

The lever rod that connect from the outer door handle to the door mech. is it suppose to be loose and rattily?

Any info would help

Cheers
Old 31-03-2021, 01:35 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the locks are mirrored either side, as are all the rods
don't lose the little plastic locking tabs either as they are colour coded for each application
the facelifted ones do away with many of them and replace it all with just one single cable, with the central locking motor and lock mechanism all encased together, less things to go wrong too, but they are all interchangeable if you have the right bits