Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

How much power??

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2016, 08:55 AM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power??

Hi guys. Trying to get a few ideas of what kind of power my new YB build will net. I have a very competent tuner here but he has little to no experience with Cosworth motors. We are trying to figure out how far to turn it up safely.
Main engine specs as below..

Brand new 200 block with new Cosworth pistons and Farndon rods. 8.5 to 1 comp ratio. Standard crank. Ported/polished 4wd head with Kent CW7 solid cams and solid lifters. New valves. WRC spec head gasket. ARP head stud kit.
Garrett GTX3076 turbo on a Peter G tubular exhaust manifold. Swedish intake plenum with a 77mm throttle body. The engine runs on ethanol fuel and has a fuel system made to suit including 1500cc injectors.
The engine uses a MoTec M400 ecu.

Any thoughts on expected power on these specs would be much appreciated.
Cheers,

Gav
Old 25-03-2016, 11:15 AM
jontysafe
PassionFord Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default power

You`re more likely to be limited by your gearbox and diff than engine. on Ethanol that engine, if the heads been done right should see 550-600bhp all day long.
Old 25-03-2016, 05:13 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Gav
Hi guys. Trying to get a few ideas of what kind of power my new YB build will net. I have a very competent tuner here but he has little to no experience with Cosworth motors. We are trying to figure out how far to turn it up safely.
Main engine specs as below..

Brand new 200 block with new Cosworth pistons and Farndon rods. 8.5 to 1 comp ratio. Standard crank. Ported/polished 4wd head with Kent CW7 solid cams and solid lifters. New valves. WRC spec head gasket. ARP head stud kit.
Garrett GTX3076 turbo on a Peter G tubular exhaust manifold. Swedish intake plenum with a 77mm throttle body. The engine runs on ethanol fuel and has a fuel system made to suit including 1500cc injectors.
The engine uses a MoTec M400 ecu.

Any thoughts on expected power on these specs would be much appreciated.
Cheers,

Gav
Sounds like it will have plenty of power with that specc, 1500cc injectors are the biggest I have heard of on a YB, mine are 890cc and chuck in loads of fuel. MPG is obviously not a priority. What State in Australia are you in as I know the rules on modifying cars varies from State to State. Is it going to be a track car or road car? If a road car you should suprise most Aussie performance cars for sure!!
Old 25-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Surely mpg is based on the map, not the size of the injector?
Old 25-03-2016, 09:44 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ethanol requires a much richer mix than petrol, so huge injectors are required to supply it
my guess would be 600ish on ethanol, dont think the turbo will flow any more

Last edited by jamie's; 25-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 25-03-2016, 11:02 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Surely mpg is based on the map, not the size of the injector?
I am not an expert but with the specification and potential huge bhp fuel economy is not his priority, it was just a little joke.
Old 26-03-2016, 03:33 AM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by cossynut2
Sounds like it will have plenty of power with that specc, 1500cc injectors are the biggest I have heard of on a YB, mine are 890cc and chuck in loads of fuel. MPG is obviously not a priority. What State in Australia are you in as I know the rules on modifying cars varies from State to State. Is it going to be a track car or road car? If a road car you should suprise most Aussie performance cars for sure!!
I'm in Perth, WA mate. Car is still licensed but will see track time. Once everything is running right, I will look to get all the modifications engineered and signed off.
Should surprise a few big V8's on the road but in saying that, 600-700+ HP cars here on the road are fairly normal it seems. Lots of modified Jap cars, big HP turbo Ford Falcons and supercharged HSV's running around.

Originally Posted by jontysafe
You`re more likely to be limited by your gearbox and diff than engine. on Ethanol that engine, if the heads been done right should see 550-600bhp all day long.
Thinking the same thing. It has a fairly new Gripper diff in it rebuilt by Bara Motorsport. I am not expecting the standard T5 to last very long at all! Looking into a Tremec TKO box as we speak.

I am not an expert but with the specification and potential huge bhp fuel economy is not his priority, it was just a little joke.
I got the joke mate Economy will be rubbish but not a priority at all.
Old 26-03-2016, 08:10 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

RS Gav. I used to live in Adelaide and upgrading your engine etc used to be a no no. Last time I visited my Brother-in-law we went to a big car show and lots of people I spoke to said they had been booked by the cops for having modified cars. I had an Aussie built V6 Capri and I imported lots of tuning parts for it from the UK. It had flared arches , lowered suspension, bigger wheels etc and looked and went well. I got stopped by the cops and they defected it and told me I had to put it back to standard!!! To say I was pissed off is an understatement!!
Sounds like WA is not as strict as South Australia.
Your car sounds like it will be a beast!!
Old 26-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

1500cc injectors are the biggest I have heard of on a YB, mine are 890cc and chuck in loads of fuel. MPG is obviously not a priority.
Size of Injectors depend on calculated fuel flow at full throttle on the fuel required. I use 8 injectors - 4x1700cc & 4x1000cc. The mapping will allow the car to pootle along if you require or run at full throttle with 1000bhp on a race fuel like FTW Purple that uses 60% more fuel than pump. A modern ECU can control these huge injectors with great accuracy. It does not mean bad fuel economy on light throttle if your mapper knows what he is doing. Have seen 22mpg on a long run on the Motorway dropping to 4mpg on a Topspeed run. The words chuck in loads of fuel has made me chuckle that's not what its about.
Old 26-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Nice cosworth mate you anymore pics? Bet not many people in Australia even know what it is lol
Old 26-03-2016, 10:01 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

ARP Head stud kit.

Don't use them either 6 or 10 long studs.

ARP's can and WILL crack your block.

Regards

Paul
Old 26-03-2016, 10:10 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Size of Injectors depend on calculated fuel flow at full throttle on the fuel required. I use 8 injectors - 4x1700cc & 4x1000cc. The mapping will allow the car to pootle along if you require or run at full throttle with 1000bhp on a race fuel like FTW Purple that uses 60% more fuel than pump. A modern ECU can control these huge injectors with great accuracy. It does not mean bad fuel economy on light throttle if your mapper knows what he is doing. Have seen 22mpg on a long run on the Motorway dropping to 4mpg on a Topspeed run. The words chuck in loads of fuel has made me chuckle that's not what its about.
Interesting stuff Rod , i was thinking more when you are on full boost there must be a lot of fuel going through the injectors and as you said 4 mpg. Depends on how the guy is going to drive it and how well its set up but as he said fuel economy is not a priority. To me big power with good mpg dont go together.
Old 26-03-2016, 01:34 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

RS Gav. I used to live in Adelaide and upgrading your engine etc used to be a no no. Last time I visited my Brother-in-law we went to a big car show and lots of people I spoke to said they had been booked by the cops for having modified cars. I had an Aussie built V6 Capri and I imported lots of tuning parts for it from the UK. It had flared arches , lowered suspension, bigger wheels etc and looked and went well. I got stopped by the cops and they defected it and told me I had to put it back to standard!!! To say I was pissed off is an understatement!!
Sounds like WA is not as strict as South Australia.
Your car sounds like it will be a beast!!
The restrictions on vehicle modifications are just as strict in WA. Sometimes it's just a case of how long you can get away with it by 'flying under the radar"...

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Nice cosworth mate you anymore pics? Bet not many people in Australia even know what it is lol
Thanks mate. I do have a build thread on here somewhere but it hasn't been updated for a few years now. I've had the car off the road for about 2 years getting the new engine built.
Couple of recent pics below. Managed to score a feature in Performance Ford back in 13' which was great.

Name:  image_zpsbej1ewp1.png
Views: 128
Size:  709.0 KB
Name:  Photo%2010-02-2013%201%2054%2032%20PM_zpskd4is4bz.png
Views: 133
Size:  545.7 KB
Name:  image_zpse7musjfo.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  124.9 KB
Name:  Engine_zps4mafuigj.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  108.5 KB
Name:  RS%20458SP_zps1oz6cevv.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  87.2 KB
Old 26-03-2016, 02:48 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

RS Gav. I still have the magazine with your feature in it, nice one. Do you have to have a yearly car test in WA like our M.O T.? If so how do you get through the emissions test?
Old 26-03-2016, 04:02 PM
RS_Gav
Regular Contributor

RS Gav. I still have the magazine with your feature in it, nice one. Do you have to have a yearly car test in WA like our M.O T.? If so how do you get through the emissions test?
Nice one!
No MOT here. I would much rather that than the random defect notice system we have. Any police officer here can put a defect notice on your vehicle with absolutely no mechanical knowledge or idea of what he is looking at.
Old 26-03-2016, 04:52 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS_Gav
Nice one!
No MOT here. I would much rather that than the random defect notice system we have. Any police officer here can put a defect notice on your vehicle with absolutely no mechanical knowledge or idea of what he is looking at.
When they stopped me ( I was not speeding or doing anything wrong ) the cop looked over my car and said "this doesnt look like a standard Capri to me I am going to do some checking " He went to the boot of his car and came back with a massive book which had all different makes and models of cars specifications in it. He also had a tape measure and one of the things he did was measured the wheel track front and back. " Too wide as I thought" he said while looking at the Capris standard factory specification.The 4 barrel Holley carb was also picked up plus the steering wheel was to small and the suspension was lower than it should have been and lots of other things.
Luckily I had some mates who also had V6 Capris and lots of spares so we managed to swap everything back to standard so when I took it to the Police Garage it passed and the defect notice was removed.
I then put everything back to how it was and never got stopped again!! I sold the car later with all the modifications but dont know if the new owner ever had any problems with the cops.
That is one good thing here ,you can modify your car as much as you like and providing it passes the M.O.T. no worries. I declare all the modifications done to my 2wd Sapphire to my Insurance Company and also have an agreed value of £21,000 on it so if it was stolen or written off at least I would have enough to buy another good one!