Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Steering self centering

Search this Thread

Old 30-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow Steering self centering

Something which has forever annoyed me in Sierras is their slow self centering, and my Cossie is pretty bad in that area. I like to do some occasional drift events in it, but the self centering really makes it stupidly hard work, as it's so slow compared to so many other cars.
Not even just during drift, but in normal town driving the self centering is annoyingly poor when coming off lock. Compared to my 328i and Volvo 960 it's shocking, as they'll perfectly spin central or onto opposite lock whenever needed.

My car is quite low which I know knocks the steering arms out of line (making the effort required to push the rack back greater). But I have S body track rod ends with a lowered centre to combat this. The arms do still slightly sit at an upward angle though, so I'm thinking of adding 3dr hubs with their lowered roll centre in as well to further straighten the arms.

I've also got adjustable top mounts with some added castor, but there's still room for a bit more if I loose some camber on them. I will need to get adjustable TCAs or redrill the crossmember to regain that though.

I could add compression struts too, but I would prefer to avoid this if possible, as I had them on my previous competition drift Saph car and they made it constantly rub the front tyres on the bumper, and I had to run much higher spring rates to compensate for the lack of ARB.
But is the main problem even down to lack of castor?!

So I'm looking for reasons as to why it's like this, and ideas at all on how to improve....

Last edited by Ade; 30-01-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 31-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Lowering the steering connection without lowering the tca is a bad idea as this creates bumpsteer. Better is to fit 3dr hubs, they will also correct the roll center.

I'd say the whole self-centering issue is caused by a lack of castor. My sapph centers perfectly. I have only added a few washers in between the tca and arb to move the wheels forward.
Old 31-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
Lowering the steering connection without lowering the tca is a bad idea as this creates bumpsteer. Better is to fit 3dr hubs, they will also correct the roll center.

I'd say the whole self-centering issue is caused by a lack of castor. My sapph centers perfectly. I have only added a few washers in between the tca and arb to move the wheels forward.
Not bad for bump steer at all.

You know what toe setting you have?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Marc sierra

2 mm toe in
Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What is your castor setting now Marc?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Marc sierra

I had the alignment measured at two places as the alignment on the rear wheels had to be done, but on the front nothing had changed. The first reading was:

Left right
camber -1°24' camber -1°54'
caster 3°30' caster 3°30'

The second was:
left right
camber -1°31' camber -1°33'
caster 3°07' caster 4°04'

So what the exact value is I don't know, I guess it's difficult to measure that precisely.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

2 mm toe in
Exact opposite of what I'm hearing from track & drift people!
They're saying 2mm toe out.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Marc sierra

My car is only used on the road and not for track or drifting. I used to have a sapph for drifting though. If you let go of the steering wheel during the drift it would immediately go to full lock by itself, getting the car out of the drift again.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Do 3dr hubs give more castor (than saf hubs) as well as improved roll centre?
Anyone....
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Originally Posted by Ridgey
Do 3dr hubs give more castor (than saf hubs) as well as improved roll centre?
Anyone....
Sure they don't.
Also don't see how the hub could realistically effect castor unless it was dramatically differently shaped, with an offset mounting.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

They are different, such as the steering mount point, i wasn't sure if the TCA fixing point was a couple of mm different to change castor.
I have 2wd hubs and new adj TCAs to fit to my car at some point, was just wondering if i will need to space the ARB to TCA with washers to give extra castor.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

They roll centre is different, but can anyone confirm the castor would be different is fitted?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridgey
They are different, such as the steering mount point, i wasn't sure if the TCA fixing point was a couple of mm different to change castor.
I have 2wd hubs and new adj TCAs to fit to my car at some point, was just wondering if i will need to space the ARB to TCA with washers to give extra castor.
I'm sure the original 3-door only had around 2.5 degrees castor Dave.
They added the H14 ARB ( standard on the Sapphire 2wd ) to late 3-door builds/RS500 and as a recall for people that complained about poor high-speed stability as it added about a degree more castor ( to about 3.5 degrees ).
If you want more than that it's down to top mounts or shimming the ARB with washers as you say
Old 07-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Rob Virgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info lads
Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 AM
William MK2 Cosworth
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ade
Exact opposite of what I'm hearing from track & drift people!
They're saying 2mm toe out.
I have tried with the toe out, but then the car steers in just by the road imperfection , and I could not feel any self centering . With some toe in I found it is a lot more stable