Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Exhaust manifold stud question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM
JZEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust manifold stud question

You may recall the post at https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...-manifold.html that I posted a few weeks back related to oil leaking from the exhaust manifold.

After much checking and trying out various options to avoid having to take the head off, I finally discovered that the oil I'm seeing is starting to come out from the bottom manifold stud - basically the first bottom stud at the engine's front. It then leaks down and you'd think it is coming from under the exhaust manifold when in fact it starts to leak (weep actually) from the stud itself. Also it does it mostly when the car is under load so on idle, I barely see the leaking but it is there.

Can you guys let me know whether the stud ends up in some oil passage or some place where there is oil in the head? Perhaps I can try some thread lock to block it from leaking oil?

Your views are greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM
worm
Part of the Furniture

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

hi I had a similar thing with my first cosworth but it was water coming from the exhaust stud when I removed the head somebody had tried to drill out the snapped studs and had drilled into the water way then filled it with chemical metal so it was a right mess replaced the head in the end
Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM
JZEE

Originally Posted by worm
hi I had a similar thing with my first cosworth but it was water coming from the exhaust stud when I removed the head somebody had tried to drill out the snapped studs and had drilled into the water way then filled it with chemical metal so it was a right mess replaced the head in the end
Worm,

What stud was is that was leaking in your case?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM
worm
Part of the Furniture

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it was the bottom row second stud in from the rear there are 4 water ways by the side of each cylinder and also there are the oil ways that you have problems with I would of thought the stud you are having trouble with must be broken through into an oil way?? I would of thought. without taking the head off you cant really see
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 PM
JZEE

Understood Worm.

Do you guys know whether the front bottom stud is used to plug some oil passage in the cylinder head? I saw on other websites that some cars use this model and I think it's normal in a number of motorcycle heads.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM
JZEE

Anyone??

Am I supposed to used some sort of sealant on the stud thread?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I seen this on a 3dr very recently, oil weeping through the swan neck on the manifold and manifold/head.

Only very very slight but once engine was up to temp you couldn't tell as it was burning it off before it had a chance to show again.

I would put this case down to turbo seals, it's the only place it could come from
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM
JZEE

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
I seen this on a 3dr very recently, oil weeping through the swan neck on the manifold and manifold/head.

Only very very slight but once engine was up to temp you couldn't tell as it was burning it off before it had a chance to show again.

I would put this case down to turbo seals, it's the only place it could come from
Well in my case, it's actually coming from the front, bottom manifold stud. I'm taking off the manifold soon to have a better look and will take it from there....
Old 13-07-2017, 08:18 AM
oto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to resurrect this topic because I've got the same problem, oil leaking up past the studs, on the first and second lower exhaust manifold studs. I would have expected the threaded holes to be blind and not open out into a gallery but if they are open what do I use on the studs to seal them?

JZEE what did you find and did you solve the problem?
Old 16-07-2017, 08:33 AM
JZEE

Hi Oto,

Wow it's been a while...

Basically in my case, it was just a "simple" case of the head bolts which got loose after a couple of thousand miles - thankfully no major head issues.

On the other hand, I do have another strange one in that it takes days for the my oil level to return to its expected levels following a run. At first I thought it was burning oil as I would leave with the oil at three quarters up on the dipstick and on my return, after an hour or so, it would be lower than half!! There's no smoke whatsoever though which was strange.

Then I notice that if I check the oil level on the following weekend, it actually does reach it's expected level again!! Anyone???
Old 16-07-2017, 01:31 PM
oto

Hi Jzee

So there never was a problem with oil leaking past the exhaust studs? So where was the oil coming from for it to drip from those studs?

Ref the oil level, it is recommended by Keith Seume that you wait at least 5hrs or preferably overnight to get a true reading. That advice certainly works for me. Also says not try to keep the oil level at the full mark as it just disappears. Other Passionforders have confirmed this. Fill to 1/8th inch down from full mark.
Old 16-07-2017, 03:57 PM
oto

​​​​​​

Last edited by oto; 16-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 17-07-2017, 02:28 PM
JZEE

Oto,

It was actually leaking from the head gasket, onto the studs. Tightening the head meant no more leaks.
Old 18-07-2017, 10:55 AM
oto

Definitely the head? Not the camcover? I ask because the head joint is below the studs and the camcover joint is above the studs.

Cheers