Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Oil coolers, need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil coolers, need advice..

I am after some advice about oil coolers if someone could help, I have tried the search function but its useless.

I have recently got my car on the road and had it mapped etc and it was noted that my engine oil is getting too hot, 115 degrees within a few short blasts.

Also I have fitted the MSD uprated fan switch that kicks in around 99-100 degress so when in traffic or just sitting idling the water will start to heat the oil to 100 degrees so I need to remove the standard water/oil cooler.
When cruising on the motorway at steady 70mph the oil temp sits about 85 degrees.

So what im asking is:

What size oil cooler sandwich plate do I need?
Do I need a stat? (any pros and cons)
What size cooler do I need?
What size piping should I use?

Any help or pics of where you have fitted and piped up would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
johnyjn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil

Gav what oil are you using ?
Old 13-08-2012, 11:31 AM
DD
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
I am after some advice about oil coolers if someone could help, I have tried the search function but its useless.

I have recently got my car on the road and had it mapped etc and it was noted that my engine oil is getting too hot, 115 degrees within a few short blasts.

Also I have fitted the MSD uprated fan switch that kicks in around 99-100 degress so when in traffic or just sitting idling the water will start to heat the oil to 100 degrees so I need to remove the standard water/oil cooler.
When cruising on the motorway at steady 70mph the oil temp sits about 85 degrees.

So what im asking is:

What size oil cooler sandwich plate do I need?
Do I need a stat? (any pros and cons)
What size cooler do I need?
What size piping should I use?

Any help or pics of where you have fitted and piped up would be appreciated.

Thanks
if you are using mobil 1 oil for example, that is usually good for around 140°C and 150 very max...
If you are wanting to change the standard modine, then a sandwich plate is required. This will take the oil away to another radiater mounted in or around front bumper (the air passing through it will cool it) and then it gets returned to the engine. Some of these sandwich plates have thermostats in or you can get them in the lines to, think auto are quite good for that sort of thing. http://www.thinkauto.com/ Ref pipe sizes probably aeroquip -10 or -12, ref size cooler not sure really, may depend of use of car, i.e. if a track car or road with occasional spirited drives etc, but at a guess think auto will help you out.
Old 13-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by johnyjn
Gav what oil are you using ?
Not a clue John, lol Whatever Harvey put in it.
Will ask Jimbo

Originally Posted by DD
if you are using mobil 1 oil for example, that is usually good for around 140°C and 150 very max...
If you are wanting to change the standard modine, then a sandwich plate is required. This will take the oil away to another radiater mounted in or around front bumper (the air passing through it will cool it) and then it gets returned to the engine. Some of these sandwich plates have thermostats in or you can get them in the lines to, think auto are quite good for that sort of thing. http://www.thinkauto.com/ Ref pipe sizes probably aeroquip -10 or -12, ref size cooler not sure really, may depend of use of car, i.e. if a track car or road with occasional spirited drives etc, but at a guess think auto will help you out.
Thanks bud, will have a look on the Think site
Old 13-08-2012, 11:57 AM
wes

Depends how far you want to go Gav, 19 row oil cooler with -10 pipe work to it is what you need on there if you use it mainly on the road, how far you want top go will determine what parts you need exactly i.e. do you want to keep the oil filter in the std location or mount it remotely, same for oil stat. Also oil type / grade can make a difference, what oil are you using?

I would say yes you definitely do need an oil stat in the system otherwise the oil will take too long to get up to temp when weather is cold or you are just cruising on the motorway.
Old 13-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

19 row cooler & deffo use a Stat. Think Automotive will hold everything you will need. Fit an oil temp gauge.
Old 13-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wes
Depends how far you want to go Gav, 19 row oil cooler with -10 pipe work to it is what you need on there if you use it mainly on the road, how far you want top go will determine what parts you need exactly i.e. do you want to keep the oil filter in the std location or mount it remotely, same for oil stat. Also oil type / grade can make a difference, what oil are you using?

I would say yes you definitely do need an oil stat in the system otherwise the oil will take too long to get up to temp when weather is cold or you are just cruising on the motorway.
Originally Posted by MadRod
19 row cooler & deffo use a Stat. Think Automotive will hold everything you will need. Fit an oil temp gauge.
Thanks Wes and Rod,
Glad I asked now as I was just going to get a small 13 row but you both have said 19 row is the one to get.

Wes,
I want to keep the oil filter in standard location really as I don't want the bay too cluttered with pipes and things.
Will find out off Harvey what oil he recommends to use.
Reason I asked about the stat was that I didn't know if the oil ones were reliable but if yourself and Rod have had no issues then thats good enough for me.

Rod,
I have a temp gauge bud and it gets to 100 degrees in no time when having a few blasts but was unsure at first if that was a bad temp as my old Golf Mk1 would always be over 100 and when playing would sit at 125 degrees and was fine but Harvey said its getting hotter than is ideal and i'd imagine if I ever verture onto a track the temps will go alot higher.

Will go on the Think site as soon as pay day comes round

Last edited by Gav Diamond; 13-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 13-08-2012, 04:51 PM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I will use the standar modine and fit a sandwich plate betwen between filter arm and filter, whit termostat and a 19 row cooler. This is the same way as Martin Hadland had on his escos
Old 13-08-2012, 07:58 PM
wes

Originally Posted by grcossie
I will use the standar modine and fit a sandwich plate betwen between filter arm and filter, whit termostat and a 19 row cooler. This is the same way as Martin Hadland had on his escos
Thats on a 4x4 setup with the arm, Gav's is 2wd so won't be able to fit it all in the space available.

Gav, if you aren't going to do track days then a 19 row will be enough for the road. It is worth shrouding the oil cooler to the bumper too so air is forced through it. It is very important to run a stat as i said ealrier, if the oil doesn't get up to temp it will cause wear on your nice new engine!
Old 13-08-2012, 08:01 PM
johnyjn

I would try a new temp gauge first , I never see over 90 on the road it's always about 80 until its standstill . Have you still got the original Modine on the car ?
Old 13-08-2012, 08:38 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Gav, I'd wait till you change the oil as what we use for the dyno is running in oil and is quite thin, when you get your proper oil in see what it's like.
Old 14-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wes
Thats on a 4x4 setup with the arm, Gav's is 2wd so won't be able to fit it all in the space available.

Gav, if you aren't going to do track days then a 19 row will be enough for the road. It is worth shrouding the oil cooler to the bumper too so air is forced through it. It is very important to run a stat as i said ealrier, if the oil doesn't get up to temp it will cause wear on your nice new engine!
Thanks Wes, do you run 115mm or the 235mm?

Originally Posted by johnyjn
I would try a new temp gauge first , I never see over 90 on the road it's always about 80 until its standstill . Have you still got the original Modine on the car ?
Hey John,
The gauge is a brand new stack one with the sensor in the sump plug.
Yes still run the standard modine.

Originally Posted by J1mbo
Gav, I'd wait till you change the oil as what we use for the dyno is running in oil and is quite thin, when you get your proper oil in see what it's like.
Was just going on what your old man said as he said it will want one.
What oil do you advise running and when does it need swapping out, done about 250 miles now.
Was out in it yesterday and killed another Ł20 of fuel giving passenger rides, lol. ACT's are still high though seeing 38 degrees

Last edited by Gav Diamond; 14-08-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 14-08-2012, 07:26 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Hey John,
The gauge is a brand new stack one with the sensor in the sump plug.
Yes still run the standard modine.

Was just going on what your old man said as he said it will want one.
What oil do you advise running and when does it need swapping out, done about 250 miles now.
Was out in it yesterday and killed another Ł20 of fuel giving passenger rides, lol. ACT's are still high though seeing 38 degrees

Ha, least your enjoying it mate, he's right mate but the better oil can be under higher temps, but. Cooler will be good, keep the original modine and add a small cooler
Old 14-08-2012, 07:27 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

What was outside temps fella? 38 isn't overly bad, if it's under 40 they it's all good as we map them on the dyno between 30 and 40 def charge temps
Old 14-08-2012, 11:15 AM
wes

235mm Gav. Also as Jimbo says, if you can keep the modine on there as well then do it as its a clever bit of kit, it heats the oil up quicker when cold AND helps cool it down when its hot
Old 22-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Cossie92
Cossie newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is normal and safe oil temp for Cosworths? I have 300 bhp Saph 4x4 and im thinking if I should have gauge to monitor oil temperature. The car is not used on track and just random blasts on highway and my water temp is always normal.