Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Refitting turbo. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:41 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refitting turbo. Advice please.

Evening folks.
I'm just about to fit the turbo back on my 2WD but have a problem with the actuator.
I haven't stripped the turbo down but have had the actuator and compressor wheel cover off.
My problem is the shaft of the actuator now seems too short. I assume that the wastegate flap should be shut but if i bolt it all back together there is no movement on the shaft for the flap to open. I haven't altered the length of the shaft at all but if a put it back on its post with the small clip it's shut and won't move.
So what have done wrong?
I had the actuator changed on it around 15 years ago and not touched it since and assume it was set up correctly and the car ran perfectly but it's as if it was set up and hasn't been able to move.
Is it dangerous for the engine if the flap is permanently shut?

Any advice on what to do?

many thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Fezman1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to set the actuator with the correct preload.
This can be done a couple of ways.
I would say the easiest for you would be put the actuator back on the turbo,
adjust the rod so the pin on the arm of the wastegate covers half the hole on the actuator. Pull the rod onto the pin and secure.
Plumb in a decent boost gauge and run the car up in 3rd or 4th gear loading up and check the boost.
To adjust it to what is was, shorten the rod ups the boost lengthen it lowers the boost.

Hope this helps mate.

Other thing, to check the actuator is operating correctly is use a coolant pressre testing pump,
connect it, and pump it you sould see the rod moving out to open the wastegate

Last edited by Fezman1; 08-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
flannigan

how much actuator preload have you got ? half a hole is usual
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replys.
Stupid question time but can you tell me what you mean by
'pin on the arm of the wastegate covers half the hole on the actuator'

Do mean the pin on the post of the wastegate?
And not sure about half a hole on the wastegate.

I am a muppet.

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
flannigan

The end of the actuator has a hole in it the waste gate arm has a post that the actuator rod attaches to when the actuator is bolted to the compressor housing the actuator should have half a hole preload ie the pin on the waste gate should cover half of the hole on the actuator rod you will then have to pull the actuator rod towards the waste gate pin to get the actuator to fit over the waste gate arm pin does this make sense ?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Actuators can be quite hard to pull physically. Do what Fezzman says and use air pressure to pump it up. It should move ok once you get some pressure into it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Yes mate, just been to have another look and i get what you mean.

But, with half a pin preload i cant then pull the actuator shaft over the pin, its too short.
So. i lengthend the shaft a bit so it would fit over but then when its all in place the shaft wont move backwards or forwards.
So how do these things work. Im guessing there is a spring in the body and with the shaft fitted there should be some play in the actuator so it can move rearwards to open the gate under boost.
In my case with it all fitted, the shaft is allready rearwards, as if the spring if fully extended and its all locked up and wont move.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
chrisa3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by muffster
Yes mate, just been to have another look and i get what you mean.

But, with half a pin preload i cant then pull the actuator shaft over the pin, its too short.
So. i lengthend the shaft a bit so it would fit over but then when its all in place the shaft wont move backwards or forwards.
So how do these things work. Im guessing there is a spring in the body and with the shaft fitted there should be some play in the actuator so it can move rearwards to open the gate under boost.
In my case with it all fitted, the shaft is allready rearwards, as if the spring if fully extended and its all locked up and wont move.
witht the actuator rod not attached to the wastegate arm, the actuator is set at its minimum position. If you cant pull the rod (and you may have to put a pair of molegrips on it to get leverage as its quite stiff) then the actuator must be seized. Put bike pump on the inlet to the actuator and see if it moves with air pressure if not, its buggered.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 AM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Hello mate.
With the arm disconnected there is a lot of free play. When i connect it back up, and its set to the same length as it was before i took it off, the whole thing wont move at all which means that the shaft cant move and open the wastegate.
I cant understand why/how its set up like this because the wastegate cant move. The gate is in the closed position but there is no rearward movement in the shaft, the rod when connected will not move backwards at all to open the gate.
In this position the diaphragm is up against the back of the acutator body.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM
flannigan

How far away from the pin on the waste gate arm is the hole in the actuator rod ? Are you sure you have fitted the actuator bracket on the comp housing in the right place ? Have you got the orientation of the comp housing in the same place as it was when fitted to the car ?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by muffster
Hello mate.
With the arm disconnected there is a lot of free play. When i connect it back up, and its set to the same length as it was before i took it off, the whole thing wont move at all which means that the shaft cant move and open the wastegate.
I cant understand why/how its set up like this because the wastegate cant move. The gate is in the closed position but there is no rearward movement in the shaft, the rod when connected will not move backwards at all to open the gate.
In this position the diaphragm is up against the back of the acutator body.
The conecting rod from the actuator should be stiff.Once connected back up you wont be able to move it by hand only under pressure,maybe a good idea to connect to a pump if you can just to make sure its not seized.Is it a standard actuator ? is the olive in place where the rod comes out?.The only thing inside them is a punger,diaphram and spring.As said if you can do half a hole of pre load and then pop the arm on to the wastegate.If you cn get pump this will help as they can be a bit stiff.Maybe picture from you would help
Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 PM
muffster
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by flannigan
How far away from the pin on the waste gate arm is the hole in the actuator rod ? Are you sure you have fitted the actuator bracket on the comp housing in the right place ? Have you got the orientation of the comp housing in the same place as it was when fitted to the car ?
Thats a good point mate. I took some pictures before i took it off so im pretty sure it in the right spot. It cant turn much in one direction as the actuator bracket would foul on the turbo damper.
If i put the acuator shaft back on the pin, then i cant bolt the actuator back on the comp wheel housing. Or, if i bolt it on first, the shaft is no where near the pin for the wastegate.
Again i havnt altered the length of anything yet, its just as i took it apart but it wont go back together!!