Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

LUK Clutcthes!

Search this Thread

Old 30-06-2012, 10:34 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts
Default LUK Clutcthes!

My clutch is starting to slip and ive seen these LUK standard spec cluthes for sale and was wondering has anyone on here used them?how are they and what kind of power they good for?
Old 30-06-2012, 10:51 PM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a ap updated brand new clutch for sale luk only good for standard power or maybe stage 1
In sale section looking for 170 if any good to you mate
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanasis
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

let the pressure Luk plate and fit it with 6 PADDLE disc and you will be fine with correct driving,it's good for stage 3 about 350-370hp!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've had a LUK in mine since 2002 on stage1.

it's done nearly 100,000miles with it in and never had any problems with it, i recently took the gearbox out for a rebuild and checked the drive plate while it was out and there's still plenty of life left in it.
if it goes i wouldn't hesitate to fit another one, with more power it might be a different story though

cheers nick
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had mine fitted a feW months as is on its last legs alreadY after one launch from the lights wouldnt get one again but for 150quid cant complain
Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
MERKUR XR4ti
MERKUR XR4ti

I have found the the LUK clutch is as good as you can get for a real world price. Iv used one with 330+ whp with on issues. if you abuse anything it will fail in time.LUK are fitted to all German high performance car from the factory and that says a lot to me, as we don't build anything any more lol IMO ap are over priced stock Ford clutches are well over priced performance clutches.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
LEONMEX
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I run a standard luk in my mk1 with 330bhp no problems. Not a heavy car & runs on 13" wheels so this takes some stress off the clutch but a good quality clutch. Done a few trips to pod & it does get abuse when needed
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

My experience of them is they are as good if not better than the new motorcraft items you can get these days?

If you planning on running a fair amount of torque fit a 6 paddle or you will be taking the box out again to fit one
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts

Cheers for feed back on these clutches,im only planning on getting car chipped,with full mongoose exhaust and airfilter this year so want be silly power(2wd saph standard t3 and injectors).But i want get upto stage 3 next year so it may be a case of getting an uprated one now.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 AM
The Crocodile Hunter

Originally Posted by RSMK4TURBO
Cheers for feed back on these clutches,im only planning on getting car chipped,with full mongoose exhaust and airfilter this year so want be silly power(2wd saph standard t3 and injectors).But i want get upto stage 3 next year so it may be a case of getting an uprated one now.
When I was running on greens and t3 I tried everything I could to stay away from having a heavy pedal including a new ford clutch, new LUK clutch and refaced flywheel, then a 6 paddle centre with the LUK cover (couple of months old) and a brand new flywheel and it still slipped in 5th on the motorway even after careful bedding in etc

I fitted a new cable and ratchet thinking that might be the problem and still no good. Then had to go for the ap heavy cover and it's been fine for the last 2.5 years! And the pedals not as heavy as I was expecting.

All that was on 329lb torque, however some folk seem to get away with more on std clutches? Upto you but taking the box out for the fourth time gets annoying!!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Having said that i have had a standard ford item fiited to mine for over 15 running stage 3 365bhp. Slips a little on track days when driven in anger towards the end of the session when hot.
When i checked with Ford buying one trade £150 all in inc vat (3 piece kit)

Cheers
Ian
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
The Crocodile Hunter

Originally Posted by RSLUBBY
Having said that i have had a standard ford item fiited to mine for over 15 running stage 3 365bhp. Slips a little on track days when driven in anger towards the end of the session when hot.
When i checked with Ford buying one trade £150 all in inc vat (3 piece kit)

Cheers
Ian
From what I have seen in mine and friends cars the ford ones from years ago seem to be much better than the ones you get now??

My mate ran 450hp in a 4x4 with a standard clutch and it held ok, although it wasn't run for long like that

unless there was a bad batch of them a couple of years ago? Still don't think I'd buy one myself?