Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sierra Rev Counter

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2012, 10:54 PM
johnyfiesta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sierra Rev Counter

Well here iam again, probably asking a silly question but here it goes

My Sierra Hatch doesn't have a REv counter and im about to buy some other dials with a rev counter. Where do i connect so i can get negative (i think it works with negative), so i can make the rev counter work?

Thank you guys!
Old 16-06-2012, 10:56 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

as far as i know you just connect to the negative side of the coil
Old 16-06-2012, 11:23 PM
johnyfiesta

That simple? xD I just don't know which cable is the one that goes from the dials to the coil loool
Old 17-06-2012, 12:16 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

its green if that helps lol
Old 17-06-2012, 12:34 AM
TimoXr4i

Usually if you dont have a revcounter you have a clock, you need to cut the red wire and connect it to the coil, dont know what i did with the red wire tough
Old 17-06-2012, 08:46 AM
johnyfiesta

By the way, the dials from sierra hatch and sierra saph are the same right?
The dashboard from saph will fit in the hatch?
Old 17-06-2012, 10:44 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes instrument cluster is the same, as is the dash, more below.

You MAY however find you have a different type of dash, as there were so many different types fitted, as yours does not have a tacho and an analogue clock in it's place, as said, It's going to be a base model, but what year is it ?

I suspect your speedo is a 130 MPH unit?

The instrument cluster's and the dash are the same BUT differ massively dependent on year, for example 90 spec onwards cars had adjustable steering, along with the revised "hooded" dashboard as it's known, and these are not a straight swap

It's only all I have seen of the later clusters had rev counters, even the LX has a rev counter but it should still fit never the less I should think, imo the later type looks better anyway!

Also tachos are scaled to the engine (Except aftermarket which are designed for a variety of engines), I should think another one from another model would be ok though as there was very little difference in them.

But yes in the case if a electric rev counter, it simply has a live, and in the conventional manner like the set up on these, the ground connects to the ground side of the coil (Green wire) this is the signal line effectively.

Martin
Old 18-06-2012, 01:40 AM
johnyfiesta

Wink

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Yes instrument cluster is the same, as is the dash, more below.

You MAY however find you have a different type of dash, as there were so many different types fitted, as yours does not have a tacho and an analogue clock in it's place, as said, It's going to be a base model, but what year is it ?

I suspect your speedo is a 130 MPH unit?

The instrument cluster's and the dash are the same BUT differ massively dependent on year, for example 90 spec onwards cars had adjustable steering, along with the revised "hooded" dashboard as it's known, and these are not a straight swap

It's only all I have seen of the later clusters had rev counters, even the LX has a rev counter but it should still fit never the less I should think, imo the later type looks better anyway!

Also tachos are scaled to the engine (Except aftermarket which are designed for a variety of engines), I should think another one from another model would be ok though as there was very little difference in them.

But yes in the case if a electric rev counter, it simply has a live, and in the conventional manner like the set up on these, the ground connects to the ground side of the coil (Green wire) this is the signal line effectively.

Martin
Hello Martin and thanks for your answer. My car its a Sierra mk1 2.0 Pinto from 1985, it's a GLS model and was firstly bought in France so its in Km/h it doesn't have the clock in the dials, it has the fuel and temperature where it should have the rev I dont know if the GLS was comercialized in Uk, probably with another name.

The adjustable steering messes anything with swtiching the dashs?

By the way you know if the doors from the sierra mk1 5 door model will fit in the sierra mk2 4 door model? The one with the big boot like the orion
Old 18-06-2012, 12:16 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

If it's a MK1 then it will certainly have a 130 MPH speedo.

We did have a GL in the UK, it wasn't actually a bad specced model.

The Sierra saloon is known as the "Sapphire" and yes the doors are interchangeable with a MK2 hatch, I am not sure however the same would be true interchanging between MK1 and MK2 as you would be doing in your case, probably not I suspect.

Yes the 90 spec onwards cars had revised dashes and had two glove boxes, I am not even sure if you can fit these dashes to the earlier cars but you certainly can't go the other way as the early dash won't fit the later car due to the steering adjustment etc.

Martin
Old 18-06-2012, 07:13 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you can fit the doors, but the width of the metal around the windows is larger on the MK1 Sierra.