Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sunroof remove + refit

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
LEONMEX
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof remove + refit

Hello
Looking to change sunroof in my saph as its rusted round the glass & the seal & glass have now seperated. I have managed to get hold of a complete mint sunroof from another sierra but wondered how easy to change complete unit. Looked at the screws on my glass (3 down the side) but they are just rusty blobs so no hope of getting them out.Do i need to remove headlining? Any help much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

6 or so screws that hold the outer frame in place
plus 2 from underneath where the handle is so you need to remove that cover
then it should just all slide out in one big lump

make sure you protect the front of the roof where it slides out from scratches but there is enough flex in the frame to get it out

you may have to wind the glass all the way back to get the screws out and then wind it all the way back forwards again to tget the roof out but i can't remember exactly how as it's been about 10 years since i did mine

don't try and remove the glass in situ as those 6 screws will more than likely be rusted to fuck inside the housing
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
LEONMEX

Brilliant thank you very much. One of those jobs im putting off but ill just get stuck in i think. Thanks for help
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 98 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks Dojj, handy to know
Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
dojj

Word of warning though, if the cable comes out of its tracks it's time to find a new cassette for the roof as they don't go back in again
And don't slide the glass back without winding it as this can mean it will potentially strip the mechanism
You may be able to get the glass bit out if you use an impact drive on the screws but don't break the glass
I think I've got one in the garage so I'll get some pics up over the weekend if you want some pointers
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dojj any problems getting at the pipes for the s/roof drains ? I take it as there will be four pipes to remove.Good idea to blow them out whilst you have access to them as well.Seen a few cars rusting around the s/roof,I assume the drains would have been clogged and the water no where to go.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Rax
Dojj any problems getting at the pipes for the s/roof drains ? I take it as there will be four pipes to remove.Good idea to blow them out whilst you have access to them as well.Seen a few cars rusting around the s/roof,I assume the drains would have been clogged and the water no where to go.
the drains don't connect to anything other than the shell in the corners so you don't need to worry about getting them out

but you will need an incredibly long coat hanger to poke them all the way through

they exit around the jacking points and are basically just long plastic pipes that are stuck to the roof, removing them is virtually impossible
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
the drains don't connect to anything other than the shell in the corners so you don't need to worry about getting them out

but you will need an incredibly long coat hanger to poke them all the way through

they exit around the jacking points and are basically just long plastic pipes that are stuck to the roof, removing them is virtually impossible
Cool,I know about the pipes.For some reason I had got it in my head they were connected to the s/roof cassette and not the shell.I just thought there were four (one each corner).I also remember a mk3 3i I had that rotted where the pipe exited and there being a squishy rubber boot on the end covered in crap.I would still be tempted to stick an air line in there before refitting
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm sure I wound mine back took the plastic shroud and winder handle off, undone all the screws on the track and i think two moor inside by the handle and it comes out with the glass in the open position you don't need to touch the head lining.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM
LEONMEX

The sunroof i have picked up is wound back to the open position so i guess this is how it was removed? I will take out securing screws then 2 inside & see how it goes from there. Thanks all for help,any more pics or advice much appreciated
Old 14-06-2012, 09:52 AM
parrot
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by LEONMEX
The sunroof i have picked up is wound back to the open position so i guess this is how it was removed? I will take out securing screws then 2 inside & see how it goes from there. Thanks all for help,any more pics or advice much appreciated

Anyone got any pics on how to do this?

Also after a decent sunroof for my 3 door. Any ideas where I can get one?
Old 14-06-2012, 03:18 PM
dojj

i "should" be able to get some pics later tonight of a removed roof which will show you whats what, hopefully