Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Wastegate Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 PM
nice_head
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Chatter

Ive got a saff cossie, its running bout 330bhp, ive heard other cossie chatter and they sound the bollocks.. How do I get mine 2 chatter like that?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:34 PM
brianlion
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

take off your dump valve and block the pipe then fit a big cone air filter and then it should flutter like mad and sound the bollocks
Old 05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

if you run at hi boost, you WILL brake your turbo whitout dumpvalve.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
nice_head
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

its running at 22psi at the mo. My bro has got a cossie aswell and he has the dump valve at low revs and the wastegate at high revs but all i have is the dump valve sound..
Old 05-02-2005, 07:26 PM
JimRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Hectori
if you run at hi boost, you WILL brake your turbo whitout dumpvalve.
very true!!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by nice_head
its running at 22psi at the mo. My bro has got a cossie aswell and he has the dump valve at low revs and the wastegate at high revs but all i have is the dump valve sound..
22psi is gonna be dangerous, whitout DV. and if you have chatter on hi revs, then you will have schatter on hi boost too, and it will cause some damage. above 25 psi, it is surtain that damage will occure. amount of damage is dependent on luck. if bad luck, your turbo will be useless wery soon.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont HAVE to run a dump valve on a cossie unless it is running a T4 turbo or higher.

On that boost, 22psi, running no dump valve wont cause any damage TBH

I ran a T3 at 27psi with no dumpvalve for over 8k mile. Took the turbo off and it was fine.

As for chatter, just take the dumpvalve off, block it up and away you go
Old 06-02-2005, 06:28 PM
dark3drcos.kickass

i run 28psi no dv according to tony at turbosystems that's fine with my t34 and he should know he's been doing cossys long enuff. this topic seems to crop up alot and hectori always has an opinion i have noticed. it will be a battle of dv freaks against chatter lads for the rest of time, i know which side of the fence i am on maybe someone should start a poll on this topic

by the way tiff 3dr on mo's quality move
Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

i dont mind how it sounds, and i dont care about what you like, but it is sure, that in 25psi, damage will occure. amount of damage depends on many things, but it will happen. your turbo is gonna probably last for some time, but i would not take that risk.

on a T4 the damage is greater, and will break up sooner.

if you know what makes that schatter sound, you know what it does to your turbo.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Big_Al

chatter sound is not good for your turbo nomatter what they say
adjust your dumpvalve so the pshhhht sound comes (because it´s not propertly adjusted)
Old 07-02-2005, 10:49 AM
cossiemen
Whassup

Originally Posted by Big_Al
adjust your dumpvalve so the pshhhht sound comes (because it´s not propertly adjusted)
ohh realy ?!!

explain us why chatter sound is not good
Old 07-02-2005, 01:17 PM
wimwerf
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cossiemen
ohh realy ?!!

cossiemen...if you know how a chatter works....then you know its not good for the turbo....

with a t-4 it will break sooner..but who said it wont break with a t-34 with 28psi....its a matter of time....
Old 07-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by wimwerf

cossiemen...if you know how a chatter works....then you know its not good for the turbo....

with a t-4 it will break sooner..but who said it wont break with a t-34 with 28psi....its a matter of time....
yes. that is correct. its all about air volume, pressure and flow speed.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Trist
Advanced PassionFord User

any ideas why a 3dr chatter sounds loads more aggresive and louder than sapphs??
Old 07-02-2005, 06:41 PM
JimRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I might be wrong with this question but I think the Chatter will sound different on a 3dr because some cossie engines have different engine numbers

I heard that from someone on here, i asked the simular question before.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
cossiemen
Whassup

Originally Posted by cossiemen
ohh realy ?!!

right, seems fair enough for me
Old 07-02-2005, 10:02 PM
wimwerf
PassionFord Post Troll

dont get me wrong...chatter sound is great.....

but i love my turbo also
Old 07-02-2005, 10:20 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by dark3drcos.kickass
by the way tiff 3dr on mo's quality move
Cheers Mate
Old 08-02-2005, 09:27 PM
cossiemen
Whassup

dont get me wrong...chatter sound is great.....

but i love my turbo also
true
Old 09-02-2005, 10:59 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

come on then. to all those who say that the 'chatter' noise that you hear when running without a dump valve will damage your turbo:

what is the 'chatter' noise?

how is it damaging the turbo?

mabe if you can explain those 2 things, people will respect your opinion. otherwise you have no more case than those that say that it will not damage it.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
RSCosworth

compressor surge and wastegate chatter is not the same thing...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
wimwerf
PassionFord Post Troll

chatter sound is nothing more then the compressor wheel chopping air which is puss back trough...because the throttle is closed....

sinds when can you here a internal wastegate...?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

i cant believe that it needs to be explained why chatter sound may cause damage to your turbo. but here it goes.

chatter sound becomes when compressed air flows back to compressor wheel, when throttle plate cloces. when that air flows back to compressor wing, it will make it momentarily imbalance or tremble, i dont know how to explain that in english, but anyway, the forces between compressor and turbine wheel is greatly diffirent when the compressor wheel isnt rotating freely, and that happens when airflow is pushed back to compressor. and when it spins like 100000rpm per minute, you dont have to be rocket scientist to know that it isnt good for your turbo. DV prevents the air from flowing back to compressor wheel.

forces that create imbalance between compressor and turbine wheels, are greater in hi boost(Mass, Velocity and pressure), and it is surtain, that the damage will occure in greater amounts and in shorter time, when you have hi boost.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 PM
wimwerf
PassionFord Post Troll

and why is it you need a dv when you have a t-4....well you can guess you need also one with a t34...but it will take longer to break....and a lot longer with a t3...
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hectori - Air mass is changed with the different turbo but at the same boost level..

read this...very interesting.

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25352
Old 10-02-2005, 08:36 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

hectori,

how much air is there in the intake system (that means between the compressor and the closed throttle plate), on for example a t3 equipped cossie with 4x4 intercooler running at 15 psi and then closing the throttle?

how much more air is there with the same car but at 30 psi?

how much air is the engine consuming past the 'closed' throttle plate when changing gear and the revs are dropping from 6000 rpm?

how much air does that leave to 'rush' back out of the inlet past the compressor and do all of this damage?

how easy is it for the air to escape out past the compressor? it's not like a positive displacement compressor, it's just a fan.

have you ever blown across the top of a bottle? you get a noise, right? but is any damage being done to the bottle?

i am not saying that you're wrong, but consider some points.

incidentally, i run a t3 at 22 psi without d/v. i was watching a tv programme last night called 'greatest rally cars' showing the 3 door cossie when first rallying. these were also running 22 psi without d/v as you coud hear. i know that they do not have the same concers regarding longevity as a road car, but if there was any chance that the turbo would be broken on a rally, i believe that they would not do it.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Smit
Hectori - Air mass is changed with the different turbo but at the same boost level..
yes. thats why i sayed "Mass, Velocity and pressure". they can all change.

that link was for gold members, so i cant see what it sayed.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
how much air is there in the intake system (that means between the compressor and the closed throttle plate), on for example a t3 equipped cossie with 4x4 intercooler running at 15 psi and then closing the throttle?

how much more air is there with the same car but at 30 psi?
i cant say figures for that, it would be needed to calculate. but amount of airmass, isnt so big of a deal, than velocity and pressure. high pressure usually makes hi velocity. and you know that when you calculate force, the velocity means more than mass. but on bigger boost, the masses are bigger too.

how much air is the engine consuming past the 'closed' throttle plate when changing gear and the revs are dropping from 6000 rpm?

how much air does that leave to 'rush' back out of the inlet past the compressor and do all of this damage?
again, i dont know figures on that, it would be needed to calculate. but amount isnt so much. even in DV, you could have too small DV, and therefore still have schatter.

how easy is it for the air to escape out past the compressor? it's not like a positive displacement compressor, it's just a fan.
why does air need to go past compressor? sorry, but i dont understand what are you meaning whit this question? that air will go to compressor wheel, and compressor wheel pushes air back to that throttle plate, and back again to compressor wheel.

have you ever blown across the top of a bottle? you get a noise, right? but is any damage being done to the bottle?
put your bottle on a pedestal, exactly in the middle so that its in perfectly in balance. make that pedestal spin for 100000rpm and the blow to the bottle. the blow dont brake that bottle, but that blow will make that bottle be inbalace, and it will be thrown of from the pedestal. now try same again, and put on some wings to it, like in compressor wheel.

that air itself dont damage your turbo, damage will occure BECAUSE of air.

i am not saying that you're wrong, but consider some points.

incidentally, i run a t3 at 22 psi without d/v. i was watching a tv programme last night called 'greatest rally cars' showing the 3 door cossie when first rallying. these were also running 22 psi without d/v as you coud hear. i know that they do not have the same concers regarding longevity as a road car, but if there was any chance that the turbo would be broken on a rally, i believe that they would not do it.
yes, i know what you mean. but like you say, the longevity isnt factor in rally, if it just last for that one rally. thats why they can use anti lag system as well. anti lag will broke your turbo too, but in rally, it will last long enough. same as whit chatter.
Old 13-02-2005, 04:41 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

but amount of airmass, isnt so big of a deal, than velocity and pressure. high pressure usually makes hi velocity. and you know that when you calculate force, the velocity means more than mass. but on bigger boost, the masses are bigger too.
we are talking here about a volume of air, certainly way less than 0.5 m^3 with a pressure of 1 or 2 bar above atmospheric going out through a tube with a couple of inches diameter (although much smaller past the turbine). how fast can that air be going? the force would be proportional to the volume flow. very fast air through a small tube does not create a large force, it creates a large pressure perhaps that could do some localised damage.

Originally Posted by hectori
even in DV, you could have too small DV, and therefore still have schatter.
are you sure that it's the dump valve cannot flow enough, or just that the balance of spring and pressures is not correct?

why does air need to go past compressor? sorry, but i dont understand what are you meaning whit this question? that air will go to compressor wheel, and compressor wheel pushes air back to that throttle plate, and back again to compressor wheel.
the air must go past the compressor wheel whilst the pressure is higher inside the system than outside. it's nature. unless the system is sealed, which it is not as the compressor wheel has a clearance around it.

put your bottle on a pedestal, exactly in the middle so that its in perfectly in balance. make that pedestal spin for 100000rpm and the blow to the bottle. the blow dont brake that bottle, but that blow will make that bottle be inbalace, and it will be thrown of from the pedestal. now try same again, and put on some wings to it, like in compressor wheel.
but in a turbo, it will be blowing equally on all sides so will not cause an imbalance.

good discussion so far
Old 13-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

we are talking here about a volume of air, certainly way less than 0.5 m^3 with a pressure of 1 or 2 bar above atmospheric going out through a tube with a couple of inches diameter (although much smaller past the turbine). how fast can that air be going? the force would be proportional to the volume flow. very fast air through a small tube does not create a large force, it creates a large pressure perhaps that could do some localised damage.
that isnt that pressure itself that causes the damage, but the change what air makes on a compressor. the air volume, pressure and flow velocity are dependent on each other, but they can all be changed seperately, when you modify your turbo. but when you change one, others will change too.

are you sure that it's the dump valve cannot flow enough, or just that the balance of spring and pressures is not correct?
yes, i am. when me and my friend installed a bigger DV, it solved Chatter problem. we did try to adjust DV but it wasn enough. there is systems whit 2 DV too.

the air must go past the compressor wheel whilst the pressure is higher inside the system than outside. it's nature. unless the system is sealed, which it is not as the compressor wheel has a clearance around it.
when your throttle plate closes, compressor wheel still keeps spinning at same direction. when air gets back to compressor, from the throttle plate, the air force tryes to change the direction of compressor wheel rotation. the rotation direction wont change, but the force that air makes, works against to normal rotation direction.

but in a turbo, it will be blowing equally on all sides so will not cause an imbalance.

good discussion so far
imbalance problem isnt from that blowing egually, but from that it tryes to force compressor wheel to rotate to different direction, than normally. if you have a fan, blow it on the otherside and check what direction it will rotate. then blow to otherside and you will see, that rotation direction is diffirent.

yes, its good always to have a discussion. it is kinda hard to explain this, when its not in my native language. but bare whit me.
Old 19-02-2005, 06:28 PM
dark3drcos.kickass

very interesting still sound shit tho
Old 19-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

who the hell cares about the sound. it makes no fucking difference when talking about if damage occurs or not. even you should understand that.
Old 19-02-2005, 08:05 PM
dark3drcos.kickass

my idea is thrash it trash it rebuild it faster not bore people with bullshit about physics i bet the winter evenings fly by in your household you boring twat
Old 19-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

grow up. grow some hair on your small little balls and you dont need to try to "sound cool"
Old 19-02-2005, 10:45 PM
dark3drcos.kickass

small and little hey! someone seems flustered a tad maybe you may have finished it off with maybe (na,na,ne,na,na) or (i will tell my mum of you) i don't need to sound cool i am cool you however are obviuosly a nerd and should post in the volvo owners club not cosworth, this may be trying to sound cool to you but i call it sarcasm along with the rest of the poulation of earth. take your obviuosly massive balls and go home to mummy
Old 19-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

you just prowed my point, thank you for it.
Old 20-02-2005, 09:46 AM
dark3drcos.kickass

prowed is that similar to proved :blabla: :cry: :cry: :bat:
Old 20-02-2005, 01:47 PM
noodlesblacksaff

i have done 8k in my mine with no dv chatters all day long at 1.5bar not had any problems yet and thats on a standard turbo
Old 20-02-2005, 02:42 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

NOW NOW LADIES, CALM DOWN
Old 20-02-2005, 04:06 PM
M.A.D.RST
PassionFord Post Troll

This topic seems to have got out of hand, and over what!! Dumping or chatter

So most of you have seen the Jeremy Clarkson dvd with the ten escos's? Well whos escoc does JC drive around the track? Hmmm a 400bhp escos owned by Mark Shead, and what can we hear?? CHATTER!

Enough said with regards to damage.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Chatter